My '76 restoration (long post)

Here's an example of hubcentric adapters, they come as thin as 5/8", I have used 3/4" and 1" on several cars with 300-400 HP and never had a problem.

IM000672zzzzzzzz.jpg

These bolt on to your axle and they fit tight over the axle's hub. On the outboard side there's another hub that centers the rim. Theoretically you can remove all five lugnuts and the hub ring holds the wheel (no load on the studs) - that's IF the rim is hubcentric as well, most wheels are but there are some that are drilled for different bolt pattens and the center is then machined oversize.
What would happen with the brand new studs, cut them to correct lenght of just trash them? One thing I know it that I won't dismantle the spindle assembly again. Not this year :hissyfit:
By the way, does somebody know the recommended space between arm and tire? because I'm tempted to removed the spacing alltogether, the rear tires sticking out, even by a small amount it bugging me.

First check if your rims have a "pocket" on the inside between the five holes for the studs - many rims have these pockets so the studs will not interfere IF they're longer than the adapter thickness.

Your studs appear to be stock length, they should only barely protrude if you use a 1" spacer/adapter.

What rims are you using ? Often it's not the tire hitting the trailing arm, people use spacers to make the rim clear the caliper. Clearance to the leaf spring is important too, the bulky 15" tire sidewall flexes a lot and you don't want the spring to slice your tire....

First check if your rims have a "pocket" on the inside between the five holes for the studs - many rims have these pockets so the studs will not interfere IF they're longer than the adapter thickness.

Your studs appear to be stock length, they should only barely protrude if you use a 1" spacer/adapter.

What rims are you using ? Often it's not the tire hitting the trailing arm, people use spacers to make the rim clear the caliper. Clearance to the leaf spring is important too, the bulky 15" tire sidewall flexes a lot and you don't want the spring to slice your tire....
Here's my tires :
16554d4e5dc308eba.jpg
This is PO's setup, I dumped the junk nuts and bought Jeep's long one.
The tires are 275.

I like these rims :thumbs:

looks like 15x8. the 275-60 tire will get close to the spring and the trailing arm. measure the backspacing on the rims, if it's 4" like the stock wheels you can fit a 1" spacer without having the tire rub the fender or sticking out.

Here's a few photos of my old setup with 275-60 and a 1" adapter to clear the inside of the wheel (TA and spring):

IMG_6496cccCustom.jpg

IMG_6479cccCustom.jpg
IMG_6478cccCustom.jpg

The tires seem to be quiet old, if you replace them you could go with 255-60 and you have more room.... find out why the spacer is needed, do the calipers clear the inside of the rim ??

Thanks for the pictures Mybad, I'll put the tire back on tonight and take picture of how it look from the inside of the wheel.

First, my wheels are solid.
Second, I found out why PO did put a spacer, it was just to make room for the caliper.
Then a checked the clearance WITH the spacer :
Front is fine, with a inch of clearance :
16554dabc8eb35aad.jpg

Rear is tighter, but with the current bolt size, all the leaf spring can touch it the rim
16554dabc8e8221d2.jpg

Ok, it's been a while since the last update.
I'm been stuck for 2 weeks waiting for my line and fitting order for my fuel lines. The package stayed stuck in the custom for 12 days :bomb::bomb:
I actually had to call them to get it unstuck, they must have forgot it on some shelves.
So, in the meanwhile i decided to do some work I originally planned to be done in the "next winter phase".
I did shave all the gooey gunk off the rear wheel arches with a chisel.

16554dabd0c2963e8.jpg
Them I restored my body mount#4 support and secured it with steel pop rivet

16554dabd0c34f895.jpg
Ok, only one rivet so far, the deal is the body is hanging in the air, so I can't really get inside to pop the other ones, I'll get them done as soon as the body is landed.
I further cleaned the arches with paint thinner and steel wool, then applied a new asphalt/rubber coating

16554dabd0c414d99.jpg

16554dabd0c50633b.jpg

I did finish the spacers for my C4 blower upgrade.
I still have to get the connection sorted out, not the same connector.
16554dabced455477.jpg

and also found at the scrapyard another master cylinder reservoir, this time with the correct angle.
16554dabce616fe57.jpg

The line finally arrived and I could finish my gas tank overhaul.

I did open it to assert the its state. It's in absolutely pristine shape, at least something I don't have to try to salvage. I also took time to clean and paint the central area and redo the ground connection.
16554dabcf2c187bc.jpg

And here is it, installed with it's cover :

16554dabcf7fa6527.jpg

It's finally time to put the body back on once for good. I still hope starting the engine next month, as soon as the front clip is glued and all the wires/hoses sorted out. *finger crossed*

Big milestone reached this week, we finally bolted the body.
First, while I still had the body off, I did a crude wheel toe alignement using a technique I read somewhere on the forum.

16554dbe478529509.jpg

Bolted my old rotor above the new ones, and ran a cord from from it. Having the cord just touching the rotor I could measure the distance between the line and the frame. Not remotely precise but enough to drive it to the alignment shop.

16554dbe478604b0c.jpg

Then, this weekend I brought my usual weekend helpers (thanks again and again to Sovan and Jeff), and did drop the body.
16554dbe4786a3626.jpg

It was unexpectedly simple, the frame was leveled, all we had to do it drop it and make sure all the bushing was well pressed. I had some clay prepared, but we didn't use it. It's maybe because I had long and (still) thin programmer's hand, I could touch all the bushing.
We first made sure mount #1 and #4 were put under pression, then we moved to #2 and #3. Took us maybe 4 or 5 drop-lift attempt to have it all good.
16554dbe47818af29.jpg

16554dbe47824426a.jpg

What helped us was to have 3" and 3"1/2 bolts. We first put the 3"1/2 so we could lift the body of 1/2" without removing the bolts. Once all is setup we did put the final 3" bolts. (we actually left 3"1/2 bolts on #1).

We didn't go deep in the door aligment process so far, but so far so good, the doors close nicely and the rear gap is even if still a bit large.
16554dbe478481322.jpg
The reflexion on the door make it look uneven, but this is just a trick of the light.

I also started transforming my heater box. No regret cutting it, it was already totally backed anyway.
16554dbe4782d9164.jpg

You can spot the new heater valve at the bottom. PO did remove all of this, so I had to completely rebuild it from scratch.
I was lamenting over the fact I had to fork out 50$ or so for a sheet of metal it make my new heater box when I stumbled upon a nice large piece laying in my street, leftover from a just redone neighbor's roof.
I love that.

I bought from forum member a pair of late C3 cowl screen, I already said that before, the cowl area on stock C3 is sporting a rather pathetic level of quality, with those it gets better.
16554dbe4783b6ea6.jpg

Now with the body it on I can resume a lot of task, already reconnected the parking brake, the grounds and the battery connection.
I'm also moving forward with my power steering / hydroboost hoses, heater system and my pump to carb hoses. As soon as missing parts show up in my mailbox I'll post updates.

This week I've been busy plumbing :smash:

I've started the fuel line :
16554dc5fa5c69dac.jpg

16554dc5fa5bb318c.jpg

16554dc5fa5d2a602.jpg

Still a mockup, nothing is really fasten yet.

Since the card feed line was doing the job, I cut the nipple and had it tapped to NPT fittings. Still waiting for my fuel pressure gauge (non-filled as I read here is was better)
16554dc5fa5f0d13e.jpg

The new fuel pump is installed.
16554dc5fa5fa9543.jpg

16554dc5fa608243c.jpg

I haven't made up my mind about the orientation of the bowl, right now the -6AN fitting are sticking ou too much, I ordered a pair of those to fix my clearance issue :
16554dc5fcb4afc9d.jpg

I also started recreating the heater hosing, all had been removed by this asshole of PO.
16554dc5fa612cd39.jpg

16554dc5fa5f0d13e.jpg

I know those are house plumbing item from Home Depot, and so what, a tad heavier, but does the job fine. right?

Here's a '80 Oldsmobile heater valve, 3.99$ on ebay.
16554dc5fa61e8d10.jpg
Since nothing is stock in the heater system, all I care is that it works as expected.

That galvanized 1/2 NPT iron plumbing fittings looks like ass compared to all the other stuff you have dressed up.....your parts house should have some neat brass stuff on the hooks or in the bins in back...make it look much better...including a brass L with hose barb to screw in the manifold....:crutches: I know they got one for the water pump, that's easy....the L for the mani...maybe fish around a junkyard??

:lol: if you paint that galvanized stuff flat black it might not be as bad... I think even AutoZone has these NPT connectors, they're not even expensive.

That galvanized 1/2 NPT iron plumbing fittings looks like ass compared to all the other stuff you have dressed up.....your parts house should have some neat brass stuff on the hooks or in the bins in back...make it look much better...including a brass L with hose barb to screw in the manifold....:crutches: I know they got one for the water pump, that's easy....the L for the mani...maybe fish around a junkyard??

Well I searched for all brass fitting at several part house with no luck.
Good point about the scrapyard, I will definitely have a look.
:lol: if you paint that galvanized stuff flat black it might not be as bad... I think even AutoZone has these NPT connectors, they're not even expensive.
Thing is those damn AutoZone/CarQuest/Napa open when I go to work and close when leave work, everytime I have to take a day off to go shopping those places.
I'll try to find better parts, at least it's already functional.

What do you guys think about the fuel line? Looks good?

You're leaking coolant.
LOL, yeah, I haven't reconnected the Radiator yet. I actually temporary put the front clip in place, just to see how and where I could fasten the fuel pressure regulator.
I wish I could post a picture of the car in seemingly on piece, but my card reader decided to die this morning.