Noisy Trailer Hitch

73 Mike

I'll drive it someday
I had to rent a trailer to move some precious cargo to the east coast including all of the "toxic"aerosols and paints for my car, photo album and, of course, my wine and scotch collection. I drove the thing home from U-Haul and was shocked how noisy and bouncy it was. Granted the trailer was empty, but the noise was really annoying. I did some searching and found the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360690926728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Since most of the slack was between draw bar and the hitch, I thought that this might help but I can't find one locally. I'm planning on ordering one from Amazon and having it shipped to a place I'll be in a week, but I'd love to hear some clever ideas to quiet it down until I get there.

I was thinking of hammering a couple of wood shims in to take up the slack so I'd guess that you guys can come up with something better :idea:

Load the trailer, turn the radio up and forget about it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Is the receiver an overly loose fit? I have never had that much noise come from mine.

I had to rent a trailer to move some precious cargo to the east coast including all of the "toxic"aerosols and paints for my car, photo album and, of course, my wine and scotch collection. I drove the thing home from U-Haul and was shocked how noisy and bouncy it was. Granted the trailer was empty, but the noise was really annoying. I did some searching and found the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360690926728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Since most of the slack was between draw bar and the hitch, I thought that this might help but I can't find one locally. I'm planning on ordering one from Amazon and having it shipped to a place I'll be in a week, but I'd love to hear some clever ideas to quiet it down until I get there.

I was thinking of hammering a couple of wood shims in to take up the slack so I'd guess that you guys can come up with something better :idea:

I used a similar anti rattle ring on a Jeep Cherokee I used to own. That receiver was slightly oversized and allowed the hitch to move around too much. It's worse with an empty trailer. With a properly loaded trailer and enough tongue weight, it's better. I used the wood shim trick until I found the anti rattle ring but use a long shim and tape it to the hitch to keep it from falling out.

DC

Is the receiver an overly loose fit? I have never had that much noise come from mine.

I don't have much experience with these so don't have much to compare it to. It certainly isnt tight.

I bought it at Walmart so it should be top quality.

I don't have much experience with these so don't have much to compare it to. It certainly isnt tight.

I bought it at Walmart so it should be top quality.

Good GOD, can't anyone make anything anymore of the same damn SIZE, more than ONCE??? 2" no 2.25" no 3".....when 2" is strong enough.....

so do metric.....2.54 cm/inch....so call it 5.12" and get over it....:bump:

I have used collapsible water bags (for camping) stored forward, that can be flattened when you arrive at your destination. A lot cheaper than the U bracket. Water is 10 lbs/gallon.