Ok feel dumb! Anyone using Earl's inline filter?

BlackRat

After the car died once again on the way home from my daughter's soccer practice I finally think I have traced the issue to something I had looked at before!!! Had 0 fuel pressure after sitting for an hour. Started the chugging and fuel bowl drain again. I could hear the pump run and could feel the pressure in the line before the filter but not after. I was able to twist the line enough by hand to loosen up the russel fitting before the filter. Turned the pump on and it pumped fuel out like a spicket!!!!

Got the filter off and tapped it on the ground and found some stagnet water in a ditch and supmerged the filter. Long story short I re installed and got 3 psi of pressure at the carb. I got home and pulled the filter a part. It has a gold looking cone shaped insert . I saw a little debris but didn't think it was enough to cause and issue. I submerged the cone in engine degreeser over night then blew it off with my air compressor. re installed the filter, turned pump on and have almost 10 psi of pressure at the carb!!!!!

Are the holes in this type filter just that fine that you can't tell it is clogged? Was my cleaning method exceptable? Do you replace these cone inserts? I don't "think" so.

Thanks
Wade

I dunno about your filter, but in general, I just blow through one to tell if it's clogged or not....when dry, any 3/8 line and you can just blow freely, no problem, nearly zero back pressure, if it's wet there is a little backpressure but the fuel will blast out fairly easy.....

if it's clogged, you will fart.....

:shocking::beer:

I've got that in-line filter on both the 69 and the 77. No problems with either one. The 77 has an Earl's filter with a replaceable element, the 69 has a Edelbrock that's a throw away. I suspect you might have gotten some bad fuel or have some dirt in the tank.

:sweat:

BR, drain that friggin' tank and see if you got some water in the bottom of it....I can't believe I"m the only SOB in town making that discovery a year ago....

:crutches::censored::hissyfit:

If your tank is before the unleaded fuel era, you can take a flashlight and look down the fill neck and see the bottom of the tank. Any crap will show. Little bit tougher with a full tank, but you can still see the bottom.

If your tank is before the unleaded fuel era, you can take a flashlight and look down the fill neck and see the bottom of the tank. Any crap will show. Little bit tougher with a full tank, but you can still see the bottom.

Yeh, I hear you Tim, but I have my 3 clear glass beer bottles of gasoline on test here, wondering who/what I collected that water from almost a year ago finally discovered....

been there a month....no show....but what IS interesting is Shell is the darkest, BP is next and a local biggie, GATE is the lightest....there is a definate color difference.....

and that water sludge I finally drained out....about semi opaque like watered down creamed coffee....I could easily see the tank bottom but there was so MUCH of it, it was not just a bubble on the bottom, but a gallon that covered the whole damn tank bottom....:surrender:

If you live in a warm weather climate and get water in your gas tank, there is a form an anaerobic bacteria can can live and grow in the in the water at the bottom of the tank. It makes a sludge that will clog up carb filters.

I use a large Aeromotive gas filter mounted in the rear of the car. The pressed metal filters in the carb (the ones that look like very tiny little ball bearings have been pressed into a cone shape) have been removed.

If you live in a warm weather climate and get water in your gas tank, there is a form an anaerobic bacteria can can live and grow in the in the water at the bottom of the tank. It makes a sludge that will clog up carb filters.

I use a large Aeromotive gas filter mounted in the rear of the car. The pressed metal filters in the carb (the ones that look like very tiny little ball bearings have been pressed into a cone shape) have been removed.

SOME freeking BUG, that SOB be industrial strength....maybe one of the ethanol making types???

I NEVER heard of that before, but somehow not surprised, nature being a bitch and all.....wonder about the sludge crap in my tank about a year ago....

I have a VERY old camper van here now, engine runs fine, but the gasoline smells like elephant house....not seen any eyes peering back at me YET....

:beer:

Gene, there are bacteria living in the acidic waters near undersea volcanoes, there are bacteria in the coldest and the hottest climates, bacteria are used to clean contaminated water....if we all are obliterated, bacteria will most likely still be there.

Gene, there are bacteria living in the acidic waters near undersea volcanoes, there are bacteria in the coldest and the hottest climates, bacteria are used to clean contaminated water....if we all are obliterated, bacteria will most likely still be there.

Better living through Chemistry???

:harhar::beer:

the only good bacteria are used in brewing....

:flash::p

Back in my trucking days, the company had a railroad tank car they used to store diesel fuel- 5000 gallons at a crack. We'd fill the reefers and the company trucks. We started having fuel filter problems- opened the lid on that tank car and it was literally alive. It was moving around in there. 200 gallons of biocide cleaned it right up.

McDonnell-Douglas airplanes have a requirement for treating the fuel tanks with biocide.
No reason that gas- especially this souped up water they sell now can't grow it's own bacteria too.

Back in my trucking days, the company had a railroad tank car they used to store diesel fuel- 5000 gallons at a crack. We'd fill the reefers and the company trucks. We started having fuel filter problems- opened the lid on that tank car and it was literally alive. It was moving around in there. 200 gallons of biocide cleaned it right up.

McDonnell-Douglas airplanes have a requirement for treating the fuel tanks with biocide.
No reason that gas- especially this souped up water they sell now can't grow it's own bacteria too.

DAMN, makes me wonder WTF was in my vette tank about a year ago....

smelled like ass, have to say that much....those gas bottles setting, nothing, look fine....another blind alley...

:shocking: