PF3

SuperBuickGuy

As we all know, nothing is real until there are pictures... yeah, a treasure... but given my plans, I don't have to cut up anything someone else would consider 'savable' so there it is. my plan is up after the Blazer is roadworthy.... but there's a lot of stuff that has to happen in the background (such as getting a title - it's not stolen, already did that check) before I even really start on it... key to the entire plan is a new frame based on PF2
BxJt1QDh.jpg
pjt295dh.jpg
Z96f7p6h.jpg
bQC4vLSh.jpg
TUaDKenh.jpg
JWvMMnEh.jpg
0RMuXlMh.jpg
yay, crank up windows!
i38Mxqmh.jpg
1pgS6G5h.jpg
cGYFa4Ih.jpg
5zR09Yxh.jpg
T1tXILLh.jpg
aNBZOlZh.jpg
SE7d7Evh.jpg

it's a 1968 4 speed car with manual brakes, manual windows. comes with another set of doors. My plan is to raid the Dynamic Corvette website for their carbon fiber body panels and doors. Frame will be new and the dimensions from what's under PF2. Likely a BBC but as I plan on selling frames, I may build it with an LS... (grudgingly). Also it will be a roadster (meaning a convertible body without a soft top).

Reactions: rtj
That will be a Heap of work - but you've done more before.
From the pictures and plans - reads like you've bought a VIN:
  1. Body panels and Doors (CF) replacing - yep!
  2. Frame will be new - yep!
  3. Engine build - yep!
  4. Glass looks like replacing - yep!
  5. Rear tag and tail lights look - OK ~
  6. Birdcage? You could do without and with the frame and cage, place mounts as required.
Full time road racer/track car - or also street?
As Street - I understand the VIN requirement for a title. I guess Outlaw Class requires a "modified" Street car - not purpose-built?

Cheers - Jim

That will be a Heap of work - but you've done more before.
From the pictures and plans - reads like you've bought a VIN:
  1. Body panels and Doors (CF) replacing - yep!
  2. Frame will be new - yep!
  3. Engine build - yep!
  4. Glass looks like replacing - yep!
  5. Rear tag and tail lights look - OK ~
  6. Birdcage? You could do without and with the frame and cage, place mounts as required.
Full time road racer/track car - or also street?
As Street - I understand the VIN requirement for a title. I guess Outlaw Class requires a "modified" Street car - not purpose-built?

Cheers - Jim
it needs a VIN to be street legal - and ultimately that's what I build my cars to do.... with that said, I'd like to do the Silver State Challenge - so perhaps build to that spec? birdcage seems solid but honestly all I need is the firewall and upper, rear deck.

wow looks like a big and fun project, I must admit I was hoping the sedanette would be next......
you never know - but that said, the design and fab of the frame is a key part of my plans for the Sedanet... so, in a sense, it is a step towards that project.

Last edited:
I've been workingh on the new tow-vehicle, but paying attention here too for my next move on the 'vette.

The birdcage has been a "sticking point." Not so much weight - but there has to be a way for me to pull some weight and make "it" more useful - in a minimalist approach. And, I'd like to change the windscreen rake a tad too. [that aero-thing] So, thanks to the grassroots link rtj! [that was over in PF2}
I may have it:
1522463571_img_2145_mmthumb.jpg

I've posted here as it might be an option for PF3? Still plenty of space to rivet on a paint code and VIN. I could "get away" with that in the Free-Republic of Florida. Don't know elsewhere.

Cheers - Jim

this will be fairly clean-sheet start... for example, I may narrow the track a bit more to get a 315 on the front and a 345 on the rear.
Aero - it will be a primary concern - part of the reason for a convertible.... but I don't want a strictly race car - to be honest, I'd start with a C5 or even C6 because there's so much bloat there that making it light would be fairly easy...

I dunno, I need to get down to southern Oregon to go get it..... soonish, soonish

In the next week-or-so, it should arrive.

Still haven't answered the question of whether or not I build a car-show car (read, Optima), race car, or some brutally fast car that I would enjoy driving to California or wherever... the last means good security, a/c, cruise, not harsh ride (but truly a sports car - so maybe active suspension)

its hard to argue with not using a C5 especially for the "good security, a/c,cruise, not harsh ride" does the active supension they have meet your needs?

Today's latest quandary how do I pick this up on Mother's day? do you think my wife would notice that I'm pulling a trailer?

so how did that go????
I'm going to get it on Wednesday. I may do dumb things, but I really am trying to avoid doing super-dumb things.... my current plan is to tell her I bought it for the manual mechanisms in the doors.... downside of that is she would naturally assume that I'd get 'rid' of the rest once I remove those parts....

my mentor said what ever you can smuggle into the garage under the cover of darkness doesn't need to be disclosed, the rest own up to

it's here, well, it's been here for a week - but last week was busy - so finally got around to pictures...
1968 Corvette it's rougher then I thought it'd be.... but I bought it for the manual innards and the rear window surround (74 up don't have removeable rear windows, this lets me adapt that to my 76)...
BGhjk5A.jpg
I'm still considering what I said before - PF4 - but whether this is the car that I start with... it may become a couch
so here we go
hJKHM5Y.jpg
this is a clue about why this car is like this... that rod is normally straight - it has other signs it hit something in the front pretty hard
N4adfVH.jpg
41p2WBP.jpg
weirdness is the windshield frame looks okay
BILT8M4.jpg
ap8Zsrz.jpg
yet if you look at the roof bar - it rusted apart at the targa
pI2xGB0.jpg

XMxLuAX.jpg

don't care, I got the manual insides I wanted and I have 4 door shells.... and a billion other parts like manual pedals

anyway, next up is get it out and stored (thinking above the bathroom) but for now I need it out because racing

nice, i retro fitted the removable window in my 77, it gave a really nice sense of sound, i think i needed the internal body panels, latches, some brackets, gasket and the window

00000725.jpg
00000081.jpg
00000719.jpg
00000700.jpg
MVC-591S.jpg
MVC-590S.jpg

Last edited:
so I finally got around to unloading this thing... wow is that a lot of racoon crap.... ah well, I have a final solution for them - don't like 68 C3s? you die. simple. effective. permanent
d7M0UO9h.jpg
but 4 speed
Otzf6n2h.jpg
gosh is this car rough - and I'm not sure anyone else would be able to do anything with it... there's just enough there but the problem is some of the stuff that needs to be there has seemingly vanished in rust dust
UM89TYih.jpg
UDo1zeth.jpg
ktSneNvh.jpg
JWfiklLh.jpg
cauCihMh.jpg
and extra 68 doors
KtuDrebh.jpg
the quail was not impressed
g2iBFBqh.jpg

fun fact, I still have a lot of what I pulled off my prior 2 C3s... I could actually get quite a ways to building the car with what I already have.... not that I'd do it but it is possible

68 doors are hard to find now. Last set I saw was $1000 if I remember correctly.

If I were to do it over I would have replaced my 68 doors with 69-up. Lots of 1 year only parts that were replaced for good reason (they don't work well).