more paint

the suspension is officially rebuilt
PA261240_zpsv0be0web.jpg

as were the hubs
PA261241_zpsetdsb7qy.jpg

and the rear differential
PA261242_zpstzarksmv.jpg

all in one night.... I'm good. :)

So I've chosen a direction. Alan said, once, on Corvette Forum that there really wasn't enough of a difference between old vs. new. I'm going to capitalize the next words because they're important I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE, MOST ESPECIALLY NOT ALAN, OUT. I suspect he's right but I want to see for myself. After all, my entire reason for building cars is to learn as I go. I've built a Corvette with EFI, tubular arms and basically upgraded stock suspension. I loved how it handled. This one goes back in time. It will get poly because there really is no argument when it comes to handling (everything I build is meant to operate at 10/10ths - for a stock car, I honestly couldn't care less how it handles because it bores me).

Next up will be a LS powered C3 Corvette. I may not build it for myself, there are a couple people who are interested in me building something with Detroit-speed-level parts and a hyper-LS motor. I'm game since it'd pay to finish my 50 Buick....

anyway, hope you all enjoy the ride and the direction.

So I've chosen a direction. Alan said, once, on Corvette Forum that there really wasn't enough of a difference between old vs. new. I'm going to capitalize the next words because they're important I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE, MOST ESPECIALLY NOT ALAN, OUT. I suspect he's right but I want to see for myself. After all, my entire reason for building cars is to learn as I go. I've built a Corvette with EFI, tubular arms and basically upgraded stock suspension. I loved how it handled. This one goes back in time. It will get poly because there really is no argument when it comes to handling (everything I build is meant to operate at 10/10ths - for a stock car, I honestly couldn't care less how it handles because it bores me).

Next up will be a LS powered C3 Corvette. I may not build it for myself, there are a couple people who are interested in me building something with Detroit-speed-level parts and a hyper-LS motor. I'm game since it'd pay to finish my 50 Buick....

anyway, hope you all enjoy the ride and the direction.

That is kind of interesting. My next corvette will probably be more along vintage type lines. Been looking at making things like offset ta's using oem. Klutte, shows some photos, and a Canadian machinist going by strider, posted photos long ago. Good luck with the build and "business venture."

I love living vicariously through these builds. Looking forward to working on mine again when time and $$$ allow. For now I'll just grab the popcorn and enjoy the show. :)

photobucket - it's like they want to go out of business. You'd think that with them booting half their photo accounts, things would get better.... yeah, no. One picture is going to have to tide you over

PA291247_zpstljznxw6.jpg

I spent a good share of time looking for my spare, rear hardlines,,, they've been in the way forever, but now that I could use them they've hidden themselves....

in other news, I fixed the denali's seat issue, headlight, and now the seat heater doesn't work....it's like it has a code which says "only 90 of 100 electrical items can work at once".... I'm not sure I care - the fix included using a glue gun so I'm not exactly being the poster child for high standard repairs.... but still, and the reason it's on this build is because this is the motor that goes in the next C3 I build.

looking good!!!!

i am close to being one photo over the line with photo bucket but more for how poor their system is maintained. they havent screwed me with the extra $400, i think i must have a legacy plan that includes it as long as i dont upgrade

I read the fine print but I still get the pop up that says I need to upgrade. Though if I do upgrade, the next level allows me to continue doing what I'm doing under the legacy plan.... there is certainly room in the world for another online picture hosting site....

Promised pictures...
hot glue and crimp connectors - it works
PA291243_zpst43me3c0.jpg

how boring, right? stock, yet tall, valve covers
PA291246_zpszr0gih1y.jpg

pulleys arrived
PA301249_zpsonkeagcp.jpg

brake bleeding time
PA311251_zps0bqvcdse.jpg

and steering
PA301250_zps8wcnxtpl.jpg

I finally did it, I put a tack on the inside of the u-joint to make it fit. I did not have this trouble with the last car; but good grief. I tacked it, then ground it a bit so it fit snuggly to the input shaft
PA311252_zpsbutcrkcc.jpg

and voila
PA311253_zps100cvamh.jpg

PA311254_zps8w5m18vb.jpg

Tomorrow or Thursday I'll finish the last dent I need to put in the headers then button the motor and trans together.... if I get lucky, I'll drop it in on Thursday for permanent

pulleys installed
PB021255_zps5vuqjs0a.jpg

final test fit of the headers
PB021255_zps5vuqjs0a.jpg

some clearancing is required
PB021256_zps2rcuexg4.jpg

time to work on the finish
PB021257_zps4ujeygzq.jpg
shiney
PB021258_zpsa5tbnewe.jpg

brushed
PB021261_zpswqswv0f9.jpg

this falls under future proofing - install of a o2 bung
PB021263_zpskkd0csxn.jpg
PB021264_zpshx3bvb02.jpg
PB021265_zpsskvtxhup.jpg

I'm going to wrap what is under the hood to keep temps down and get rid of some of the shiney - presuming that arrives tomorrow, Sunday I'll put the beast in :)

I see you're using the stock steering box, do you plan to have the steering assisted or not?

I see you're using the stock steering box, do you plan to have the steering assisted or not?

I go to the gym, and wear unbuttoned shirts* so I don't need power steering :drink:

no steering assist - at this moment I don't think it's necessary. Not just that, but I've yet to find anything which gives decent feedback when playing on the track. With that said, I may change my mind once I put 11" wide tires on the front...

*for proper cooling

Today's plan was to get the motor in for permanent (or as permanent as they tend to be with me)
First problem was the Amazon delivery of header wrap didn't happen. No problem, I'll give them a jingle. "we will have it to you today." As of 7:30pm, it is not here - remind me again why I didn't just get a refund and go buy it from O'Reilly's?
then there was 'problem' two
PB051266_zps0bgw6pen.jpg
which isn't a problem it's more a distraction :D snow men were made and destroyed in a callous manner.
back to work.... clutch install
PB051269_zpseimseovd.jpg

oh good lord
PB051270_zpsgji5tmrp.jpg
let's look again
PB051271_zpsn8kxuh16.jpg

plugs arrived via Amazon
PB051272_zpsnijz1v1g.jpg

but still no wrap
assembled bullet
PB051273_zpsku0lchzv.jpg

installed - sort of - I still need to lift it back up to get the sidepipes in once I get the damn wrap
PB051274_zpsj9diradu.jpg

that is the appropriate hole for the Z bar
PB051275_zpsfzhbahe3.jpg

of course, I can't attach that until I get the wrap
hmmm, this looks a bit short on one end
PB051276_zpsceusi9p4.jpg

fortunately, I have a non-modified support so the fix is pretty simple

Radiator installedish
PB061277_zps7l52cy3p.jpg

and plugging some holes
PB061278_zpsya4w8tne.jpg

time to reduce some underhood heat and get rid of that ugly dent
PB061279_zpsjtcz1pel.jpg
PB061281_zpsggqso6kn.jpg

wrapping just what is in the engine compartment
PB061282_zpshjq0wvpx.jpg

then a coat of black to keep the fraying down
PB061283_zpsopvalect.jpg

For those who are curious what the transmission mount looks like for a TKO600 - it's the shinyish one
PB071285_zpsrozhwqsa.jpg

driveshaft, red.... not sure why but I do see I need to find another u-joint
PB071286_zpsjlpu1pdi.jpg

this was fun
PB071287_zps82hks1c9.jpg

PB071288_zpseqjnviz7.jpg

plan b was set on jackstands and lift the engine with the cherry picker
PB071289_zpsaonzmdcg.jpg

PB071290_zps4lkjoujq.jpg

z-bar.... I know I'll be glad of it when it's all installed, but right now I'm not too keen on it
PB071291_zpsagifb5tf.jpg