Plastic Fantastic 2

how much trimming?
iKpsZ6K.jpg
round 2
flyhuxK.jpg
win
JWatVSa.jpg

okay - explanation time.edited The Corvette version of this isn't available yet - they copied what they did on the T5 and TKO - which is mill a slot in the tailshaft, then move the entire shifter over.edited I wanted it now, so I figured I'd have to do some adapting.... the solution is a different, shorter shifter with a 3" offset.edited It requires the cutting I did -edited but will (hopefully) allow me to use my stock console.editededited

Took the driveshaft to get shortened today - 4" is the number.edited granted, it should have been only 3" - I should have given myself a bit more slip the last time around (live and learn)... no harm, no foul but it was a pain to get out. Might have it back tomorrow - Friday is more likely....

Waiting on the speedo cable for the Dakota Digital (how simple was that? just replace the plug....edited

Tomorrow night I should finish the mount - been playing with my plasma table... so it's taken hours where had I just done it by hand - it'd be done.edited That said, once I get the table working.... it will be a game changer for me.editededited

cross member time
KI6DfbEh.jpg
now 4
tUALWF9h.jpg
and weld
ehAAgIlh.jpg
and cross member
6ulL9Jdh.jpg
need to finish welding, put the e-brake cable pulley in place then paint it.... but doneish

time to finish up the cross member

make the e-brake work
6ulL9Jd.jpg
weld some braces too
PpuOidH.jpg
then paint
owpJlau.jpg
and done
ZWzv9ci.jpg
then little stuff like - will an 18" wheel fit on the back - yes
6n2n2yK.jpg
and rubbing issue.... such a temptation to just grind that 1/4" off
JmThET3.jpg
G1kQ8RF.jpg
then fix the clutch linkage
OwpXAJf.jpg
the car was a 4 speed car and those rods were likely there since new.... the pivot was half worn through - so it was time to make it a bit better

would you just look at that
LPg4Jz2h.jpg
winking...
ovG3dl5h.jpg
not winking
9vSw9hDh.jpg
things get a bit crowded when I need to use the lift for the daily
KBnbd92h.jpg
wiring the speedo
5UM50Z9h.jpg
imagine taking the interior apart to pull the old 3 wire cable out and putting in the 2 wire..
sxa0THMh.jpg

and lastly, I'll try to save the fenders by cranking up the coils
PFiGZunh.jpg
Not a lot happening because I'm waiting for key parts
so... driveshaft and shifter should be here Thursday... hoping to get it in before I leave on Sunday.... we will see.edited I could move it if the driveshaft arrives...edited

Just one day late, but it's here
s7Eg1vNh.jpg
I need to check American Power train's tape measure... that isn't a 3" offset... it's a nice piece, for certain, but I need a real 3"
8IVuLjPh.jpg
I'm not against it coming up from the center, but it is a bit annoying
Nv3B2u2h.jpg
seems my shifter isn't going to work either... maybe if I put a skull on it?
vrSc6oIh.jpg

driveshaft tomorrow.

apparently "shorten" means "put in a new tube".... I'm not upset about it because I could make it work.... but goodness, why?
nfT5Z2Bh.jpg
I'll have to make tabs to weld the rear crossmember back in but I think I'll finally get to the cross bracing I intended before, so it will be like this until after SEMA
​​​​​​​68qKZMqh.jpg
and yes, I used a body sledge hammer to create space

welll... I'm back.edited SEMA was an absolute blast, however I did come back with a cold so not all is great on the home front.... ah well.

In news that relates to this.edited Talked to OUSCA (Optima challenge) about schedule - and there isn't a schedule yet.edited I got a feeling that there may not be a west-coast version.edited That would suck - ah well, the Wilwood Corvette Challenge is game as is the Silver State Challenge.edited I drove the route from Ely - I could see doing that.editededited
​​​​​​​I also.... this is my OPINION and in no way judging - the current crop of Optima cars aren't street cars anymore, and building a race car doesn't interest me.edited Sure, I'll make it faster but it's not what I am interested in building.
Anyway, where I left off
Talked to American Powertrain (who sold me the shifter).edited They'll send me the right offset after I call them on Monday (love SEMA - had a great talk with FiTech (I still don't think it was their fault - except they didn't call back - we talked, we're good), American Powertrain, Aldan American, and all sorts of other suppliers.editededited
time to put the brace back in place
SUZfjq0.jpg
fits
WVYfwrq.jpg
paint is drying
MDr56Jg.jpg
Oh look, and not even a little stock C3 suspension.edited
PsTkl0b.jpg
and I'm thinking about doing a PF3.... ZL1 rear, C7 front, 632 motor.... though this time, I'd have Art Morrison just bend me some new rails based off the dimensions of what I've built now
Next is a new fuel tank similar to what I built for PF1.... need more capacity, might also change out the lifters to get my idle oil pressure back.... next up is aero with a belly pan and 'stupid' wings.editededited
When I went to SEMA in 2018, I was glad my car wasn't there.edited This year, mine would have fit right in - takes twice as long to build but it's 4x a better build.editededited

So I'm at SEMA. Blogged it here https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/general-discussion/1308600-sema-2021#post1308802

lots of things going on. Love the 632 Chevy motor - but at 37,000, don't see myself affording it ever.... but I digress.

Optima Challenge.... they're not announcing next season yet. Not sure why - whether it's just going to be an east coast thing now, or they can't firm up tracks.... so we wait.

Nice pix of SEMA. I would really like to go some time.

So I'm at SEMA. Blogged it here https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/general-discussion/1308600-sema-2021#post1308802

lots of things going on. Love the 632 Chevy motor - but at 37,000, don't see myself affording it ever.... but I digress.

Optima Challenge.... they're not announcing next season yet. Not sure why - whether it's just going to be an east coast thing now, or they can't firm up tracks.... so we wait.

Nice pix of SEMA. I would really like to go some time.

I've 'hired' a lot of friends - if you ever want to go, let me know.

cross members in place...edited
vGHIJIdh.jpg
time to build a bigger tank....edited
WuqmDhIh.jpg
side view
lA8Yfs0h.jpg
finding center of the gas filler
C4ETyIeh.jpg

I'm building a 16 ga stainless steel tank.... should be about 27 fill gallons (about 28.5 gallons total capacity).edited Why now? simple, my dad has roll dies at his shop in Oregon - and I'm going there for Thanksgiving - then spend 10 minutes bending it up...

got the 3" offset today - works fantastic
JdIB8hEh.jpg
it even clears the console cover (bonus)
9DTnkgAh.jpg
so I posted a picture from SEMA about a GM shift lever - it was $234.00.... mine is stainless
0xvJZpDh.jpg
closer
AQJ8jSph.jpg
and done
NCwKiSNh.jpg

Not sure on your budget on the 632 or how much you want to build yourself, but I did a lot of digging on info for my Camaro as it was previously powered by one.

Of course these are budget 632's, but pre pandemic, I heard good things. Nyes, Ohio Crankshaft, and Blueprint. For a long time BP had free shipping.

After I run it as is for a while, might consider a low deck option from one of the above. Decided I don't want to cut up my expensive headers. :)

Not sure on your budget on the 632 or how much you want to build yourself, but I did a lot of digging on info for my Camaro as it was previously powered by one.

Of course these are budget 632's, but pre pandemic, I heard good things. Nyes, Ohio Crankshaft, and Blueprint. For a long time BP had free shipping.

After I run it as is for a while, might consider a low deck option from one of the above. Decided I don't want to cut up my expensive headers. :)

the out the door price on the GM 632 is 30k ..... with a 50k warranty. And that is a complete motor with everything from the injection to the spark.

With that said, I dunno. for what you get, 30k is an amazingly good price but the fitting issues (the heads are literally 1/3 taller) would make any build interesting.... I think I can do it with my frame - I have lots of room to lower the motor in the chassis then simply run a dry sump system..... I'm so tempted given the prices I've been thrown for my car - but do I want to spend another 2 years on a build? I have other projects waiting.... I also want to go racing - and honestly, I can't keep PF2 and fund the build I'm envisioning....

and exhaust, if I do this, I'm going to make sidepipes that actually work

Well, it would be impressive. Not too many c3 street cars with 632s's I can think of.