Plug wires, header wrap

pcf_mark

The price you pay for big header tubes is apparently a set of spark plug wires too frequently for my wallet!

TT posted a link to a ceramic thing that relocates the electrode but that looks goofy and fragile.

Who makes a nice header wrap I can use in the plug area to give the boots a fighting chance? My boots have not burned - but slowly get crispy by the heat that is .080 away for three cylinders. I am using the boot covers but it still happens just takes longer. Or will coating the headers inside and out solve the problem?

Ceramic coating does lower the external temp a great deal. Boot covers also help. The ceramic extensions also work well.
However, nothing works as well as added airspace/shielding.

I'm not a fan of the goofy spark arm either. Consider those fiberglass socks around the plug boots, they work very well. Another more expensive option is a set of jacobs ceramic boots. I like to wrap my headers and it works very well but the durability is an issue.

Jacobs boots here, been on there and CURING a pesky problem that drove me krazy for a while....:thumbs::thumbs::clap::smash:

My SB engine was getting vapor lock in slow traffic, so I wrapped my headers. It was the best move I made and continued the wrap all the way to the mufflers. I used Thermo Tec wrap on most, but also used a less expensive, but similar material from one of the parts houses. My plug boots have always worn boot socks in conjunction with the wrap and never had a problem with header heat burning plug boots. The header/exhaust wrap also dropped my interior temps, as well as underhood. Before wrapping, spray your pipes liberally with high heat paint and spray again over the wrap material with high heat silicone paint. This will retard rust on the pipes and the silicone paint will shed water from the wrap material.
893-11002.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/11002/10002/-1

You want the 2" X 50' roll and I used five rolls to do my headers and exhaust with crossover pipe. I had a little left over. You want to paint your pipes while off the car.

You will need s/s tie wraps. The best deal is found at Harbor freight with 25 for $5. There is a technique required to lock the wrap after pulled taut.
89312002.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo+Tec/893/12002/10002/-1

893-13101.jpg
These tie wraps are suppoed to have a lock similar to the nylon wraps we are all familiar, but I have found them unreliable and they are expensive with about 10 to a pack. My experience had me twisting the end with a needle nose plier against the jaws of a slip joint plier as a cam. This had the s/s wrap tight and locked permanently. After going through a couple of the expensive wraps, I found the Harbor freight wraps work just as well.

These are the plug socks I use:
555-40311.jpg
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40310/10002/-1
The socks have a steel ring on one end that fits tightly over the plug boot. The other end will slip over the boot and up the wire without having to remove the boot from the wire.

Last edited:
I had 2 cylinders that were cooking plug boots- I ended up wrapping the plug boots with that header wrap and then putting the socks over that. So far, it appears to be working. I think I got 3 layers of the wrap under the sock. Those 2-1/8 tubes just don't leave much room for anything.

TT - what are you wrapping your headers with?

black header wrap. I soak it in water and pull it tight while wet. Then i stick a heat gun in the finish wrapped headers to dry them. They'll pull very tight. They do turn a dark charcoal gray though, some color is washed off in the water. After it all has dried I liberally spray the wrap with silicone spray,

I bought a set of Accel plug wires that have a ceramic boot that goes next to the header over the plug. You can get straight, I think 45* and 90*. I went through 3 sets of wires before. I even burnt a set through the socks!

I had 2 cylinders that were cooking plug boots- I ended up wrapping the plug boots with that header wrap and then putting the socks over that. So far, it appears to be working. I think I got 3 layers of the wrap under the sock. Those 2-1/8 tubes just don't leave much room for anything.

Tim area you talking about two on the pass side I have two that burn even with reg type boots. this time I am trying the ones tt is showing I think I will try to install them over the cheap ones I was using,,

The only ones I have any problem at all with are #1 and #3- front 2 on the left side. All the others have plenty of room.