Polyurethane Construction Adhesive

stinger12

Well, Its time for me to bond my #4 body mount reinforcements in for good. I usually use MarineTex for all my bonding and repairs, but I just can't justify it for this one...its about $80 a can, and the cans aren't very big (however, nothing compares to how well the stuff works...its awesome). I searched the forum and heard of a couple of guys who used this stuff...

DSC05638.jpg

Its polyurethane construction adhesive from Home Depot. The tube says it bonds fiberglass, metal, wood, stone, concrete, plastic, foam...you name it. However, it does not say anything about bonding SMC (sheet molded compound). Will this bond to SMC? I would call the manufacturer, but they are closed on the weekend, and I need to bond these reinforcements in this weekend (behind schedule on this build). Once again, I don't like skimping on products, but for a repair like this, I just can't justify using the MarineTex...I mainly want to just seal this mount up so no water can get in (the bonding part is a big plus and will make it stronger, but that is not my main goal when using this stuff...I mainly want to seal it up).

Any help is appreciated.

Jeremy

Check with any marine supplies for 3M 5200.
Known to have the "Death Grip"

Designed for the marine industry just as MarineTex is.
Won't eventually harden like some polyurethanes. Still seals and flexible on stuff I did over 20 years ago.

Has a tensile strength of 700psi
Other ployurethanes can be as low as 200psi

Prep the same as when using MarineTex.

If not 5200 its a polysulfide - not a polyurethane (there is a 5200 release agent to get it off) consider Sika 291. Same stuff as 5200, but you can price compare. Sika has a metal prep - you can use to bond parts directly to metal.
Stay away from silicone - you probably know that.
Cheers - Jim

Don't understand your post, but 5200 is a polyurethane, and much easier to find than the others, even here. Suspect even sunshine may be hard to find where he is. :confused:

3m5200.jpg

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserver.dyn?6666660Zjcf6lVs6EVs66SY6HCOrrrrQ-

Right you are!
My marineers age is showing. Polysulfides are like 5200 (which became the most useful/available adhesive/sealant and has been replacing the polysulfides (due to price and availability).

Polysulfides like Thiakol -- (remember the Challenger O rings?) was/is used in boats for a watertight yet removable adhesive joint -- like a corvette panel/fender you might want to pull later. In a lot of ways 5200 is the same -- Now that 3M has made the 5200 remover -- so I'm straight there. :surrender:

AND - YES -- 5200 is tennacious, strong, and a pain in the ass to get off yer fingers, clothes etc, so prepare appropriately! It can be considered permenant, flexible, adhesive/sealant - but can be removed in a pinch.

And, Yes 5200 and Sika 291 are both PolyUrethanes. Removable -- but is some work involved. i suggest Sika 291 - as a price comparision - and would opt for either over Liquid Nails etc for bonding. OTH, whats wrong with some epoxy and bog (cobosil) for a permenant bond if thats what you want? Much cheaper than MarineTex.

BTW Alberta must get sun sometime!:bounce:

Hope that clears up -- my earlier confusion in my post!

Cheers - Jim

Right you are!
My marineers age is showing. Polysulfides are like 5200 (which became the most useful/available adhesive/sealant and has been replacing the polysulfides (due to price and availability).

Polysulfides like Thiakol -- (remember the Challenger O rings?) was/is used in boats for a watertight yet removable adhesive joint -- like a corvette panel/fender you might want to pull later. In a lot of ways 5200 is the same -- Now that 3M has made the 5200 remover -- so I'm straight there. :surrender:

AND - YES -- 5200 is tennacious, strong, and a pain in the ass to get off yer fingers, clothes etc, so prepare appropriately! It can be considered permenant, flexible, adhesive/sealant - but can be removed in a pinch.

And, Yes 5200 and Sika 291 are both PolyUrethanes. Removable -- but is some work involved. i suggest Sika 291 - as a price comparision - and would opt for either over Liquid Nails etc for bonding. OTH, whats wrong with some epoxy and bog (cobosil) for a permenant bond if thats what you want? Much cheaper than MarineTex.

BTW Alberta must get sun sometime!:bounce:

Hope that clears up -- my earlier confusion in my post!

Cheers - Jim

:cool:
For some really strong stuff, try some epoxy and silicone carbide (ceramic plates in body armor).
5mm strands are good up to over 300,000 tensile, granules are more than enough for paste.