power steering pulley

Doug

I have a 72 s/b with power steer,I need to know what the clearance between the p/s pulley and the crossmember should be.
The crossmember has marks on it from previous contact with the pulley. I installed new eng mounts and bought a billet pulley for the pump but it was actually a slightly larger diameter. Have the original pulley back on but it still seems too close to me. I don't have an acurate measurement but it is tight to get the belt under it.
Considering getting the billet pulley machined a little smaller and fitting it, just want to make sure I'm not masking an existing problem.

Doug

i cant slip my pinky finger in between the pulley and the crossmember and i have a medium size hand, its a close fit for sure i am not sure a belt would slip in between it.

:shocking: Another good reason I went with '88-91? serp drive, I fought that battle a very short time, then the OEM rad sprang a leak, time for upgrades, had the Serp setup from a vette, I had bought the engine for use in a boat, that didn't work out....knowing what I know about boats NOW, it's a very good thing.....:pprrtt::shocking::beer:

Can't you use a shorter belt and rotate the pump away from the cross member?

The original bracket will not allow very much movement to do this, but I think this will be the best fix. Just need to mod the bracket. Don't know why they would make the replacement billet pulley for this application larger than the original.

Thanks for the replies.

Doug