Power Window Problem

DC3

I rolled down the drivers side window of my '73 yesterday and it would not roll back up. Passenger window works fine. I can hear the motor click and the ammeter gauge dips when putting the driver's side switch into the down position. I get nothing when putting the driver's side switch into the up position. No sound at the motor and no ammeter dip.

I'm assuming a bad switch but before I take the seats out and the console apart, I'd like to do some testing.

Is there an accessible connector where I can jumper the motor leads to confirm the motor operates properly without having to take the door panel off?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

DC

NOPE, you stuck, there is a single bolt to the rear of the center console, pull the center hatch lining, and remove bolt, I never bothered to replace mine, and so the two on either side up forward, lift ebrake handle and it's yours with a screwdriver to get the connectors off with....carefully....

methinks you have a bad switch contact....not all that hard to fix unless badly burnt...

but once you have the connectors off the switches, you can easy jump them off and see what works....

i had the same problem 2 months ago.
traced it down to a broken wire in the door jamb rubber tube.
bitch of a place to get into repair, tight, not much room wriggle wires around

I see it's your first post, welcome to the motley crew....

we curious about your car and project/plans...so pix are always nice....

:thumbs::smash:

Winner! That's exactly what it turned out to be. Previous owner had the same problem and used a crimp connector but left it in the rubber tube. It broke again right at the crimp. This time I ran a new wire to the motor and made sure I had enough slack to get the splice inside the car and out of the door jamb.

Unfortunately, wiggling the wires didn't give me any indication of the problem. I ended up removing the console to check the switch and then removed the door panel to check the connections at the motor. When I tugged on the blue wire, it came out of the tube and fell into the bottom of the door. Pain in the rear but I'm back in business now.

DC

Winner! That's exactly what it turned out to be.

glad my :1st: post helped someone else
i managed to rejoin my wires, but 38yr old copper wire is not copper coloured anymore, more dark black
managed to get a crimp in there after removing ac ducting, kick panel etc and gently pulling wires around