Progress marches backwards...kind of

keywestjack

I am thinking about replacing my outside mirrors (sport) which are remote with chrome standard mirrors (not remote). Has anyone done this and are the mounting holes in the door the same? Will I have a set of holes that have to be filled. I just like the looks of the standard mirrors. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jack

EH, I did just the opposite years ago, because having someone/yourself walk by the car on the street or garage and just brushing the mirrors they are misadjusted.....screw that, it's a PIA.....

for that matter I use bubble mirrors and mine are glued in position with RTV, no longer adjustable.....

:hissyfit::clobbered:

good point Gene, perhaps I need to rethink but I really like the looks of the standard chrome mirrors.

The holes are not in the same location/spacing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The one good thing of the chrome stock mirrors over the sport mirror is you get a little better height from them. If that matters?

The holes are not in the same location/spacing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The one good thing of the chrome stock mirrors over the sport mirror is you get a little better height from them. If that matters?

Previous owners had stuck the stock mirrors further forward in the later shark position about a inch or so back from the door edge....the pattern easily allowed me to mount the later shark mirrors in place of the stupid chrome, I find the viewing patterns to be fine, but I pretty much the only driver, like I said, I do use bubbles...

I have never found height to be a problem, just adjust to your best postion, and like I said, some black RTV and mine are secured fine....yet another example of being lazy as hell.....

:club:

The PO put a pair of those sport mirrors on Ol' Red. Problem is with the rear flares, they just as well not be there. Too close to the body to see past them.
On my list to remove the right one and put the standard height Vette mirror on the left.

The PO put a pair of those sport mirrors on Ol' Red. Problem is with the rear flares, they just as well not be there. Too close to the body to see past them.
On my list to remove the right one and put the standard height Vette mirror on the left.

Curious where they mounted them, Tim....forward on the door, or back in the old chrome position?? I have no such viability problem.....

When you go from the rally sport to the chrome mirrors you will have a hole showing, the base (black plastic) will just not cover it , i put a piece of plastic in the hole painted to match the color until we repainted the car.
With the flares go with the taller factory mirrors
Pics of each.

vette043a.jpg

022.jpg

i am thinking of doing the same thing....its just too much of a PITA to keep the sport mirrors tightened down they keep getting bumped into and getting loose. not to mention the adjustable thing doesnt rreally wok very well any more. i may even abandon the pass side one all together

i am thinking of doing the same thing....its just too much of a PITA to keep the sport mirrors tightened down they keep getting bumped into and getting loose. not to mention the adjustable thing doesnt rreally wok very well any more. i may even abandon the pass side one all together

Where are you thinking of getting yours. I don't want cheap reproduction that will pit right off the bat.

Where are you thinking of getting yours. I don't want cheap reproduction that will pit right off the bat.

Check out Doc.

http://www.docrebuild.com/