Rack difference between big and small block

bahamasair

Hi guys. I'm just starting to work on the vette again after a long break and want to order a rack. I just don't have the time to roll my own anymore and found a company that does the power rack with a cradle but they say they have only installed in small block cars. What is the difference in mounting heights between the 2?. I'm just wondering if it's something I can easily mod to make it work. This is the site with the rack www.unisteer.com
Thanks.

Last edited:
DAMN, those guys have a plan on their business, their products look so much better designed and finished than the crap I seen from other companies, these guys know WTF they are doing....

:D

Have you considered the Borgeson unit? Eliminates any guessing about fit. Maybe not as "cool" as a rack system, but cheaper and nearly factory fit.

it looks like the rack is moved closer to the right of the car than the kits that use the grand am rack ... you could have header clearance problems

I looked at the Borgeson box and have been flipping back and forth between that and a rack. I like that the rack comes with everything I need to install it since ordering little parts from here sucks. Does the big block version of steroids etc just sit lower to clear the oil pan?

That is the grand am rack...
Those are some serious looking brackets!

Some of you maybe know, I did my own rack install ten years ago, using the G/Am rack....the position of the rack is laterally very similar to this top example, but when examining the site a bit closer, I note the install doesn't require cutting the lower/outer/rear lip of the left engine mount horn....
and without doing that, I fail to see how they got enough height on that input shaft to split the angles on the two universals .....that one is a mystery to me....

second off, I really like their output/tie rods solution, looks much more reliable than any heim joints....I managed to use the stock tie rod ends, but suspect their solution is much better than mine as my tie rods are unequal length, and also too long....but it works....

:flash:

Someone finnaly had the good sense to tie both sides together!

I don't know why it wouldn't fit a BB. You should tell them that you will verify the fit (if they give you a deal) and maybe provide some pictures. That seems like a win-win for both.

Someone finnaly had the good sense to tie both sides together!

I don't know why it wouldn't fit a BB. You should tell them that you will verify the fit (if they give you a deal) and maybe provide some pictures. That seems like a win-win for both.

What's your plans for the PS pump set-up? Theirs is for a SB.

I would think it was not needed long as you had a cross support between the A arms....ala VBP....

Since most vettes had power steering, I dunno why they supplied a pump instead of just a valve/flo device of their liking.....

i think the ps fittings are in a different location and move the rack closer the the right side of the car ... i used this kit when i installed my rack in my big block car ..... http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvett...ion-Steering-Kit-For-Small-Block-1963-66.html

compare the pictures in the install instructions of the above mentioned kit.

tell them you will be thier test pilot if they give you a good deal .... i like the cradle idea alot better also.

Why should a new pump be needed?
Different flow of max pressure settings?

Looks so much better with just the 2 U-joints .
But they are considerably more expensive, because of the extra steering bits and the new pump required.
Cor

DAMN, those guys have a plan on their business, their products look so much better designed and finished than the crap I seen from other companies, these guys know WTF they are doing....

The brackets sure look beefy. A good deal thicker than my steeroids
package. (That works trouble free and will fit a Big Block.)

The brackets sure look beefy. A good deal thicker than my steeroids
package. (That works trouble free and will fit a Big Block.)

How HAS that roids package work out for you? drive it much? when that came out some ten years ago, I thought my brackets were too weak by comparo, having mine in the car for some years already, but so it seems guys were complaining of their driver side bracket coming apart, complete with pictures....there is way too much steel in that thing for no practical reason, I get away with two spacers, a 1" sq peg leg with a side bracket on it, and a diagonal brace to the frame, done deal....been there ten years...
course having a buddy who can do good welding is precious on that shit for sure....
:nuts:

<<SNIP>>
How HAS that roids package work out for you? drive it much? when that came out some ten years ago, I thought my brackets were too weak by comparo, having mine in the car for some years already, but so it seems guys were complaining of their driver side bracket coming apart, complete with pictures....there is way too much steel in that thing for no practical reason, I get away with two spacers, a 1" sq peg leg with a side bracket on it, and a diagonal brace to the frame, done deal....been there ten years...
course having a buddy who can do good welding is precious on that shit for sure.... :nuts:

I got the kit in 2004. I've put about 3,000 miles on it.
I'm not sure how valid of an endurance test that is but so far all
is well. If it should fail I will be sure to let everyone and their brother
know along with what I was doing when it failed...:photo:

I like the idea of verifying the fit for a cheaper price :) I'm going to try one. I'll place an order in about 3 weeks when I finish paying for my new kitchen. I'll do a review with pics when I'm done. I already have a serpentine setup so I'll just have to fab some lines for the power steering pump.