Rear spoilers

You mean I should drop the tank down to approximately level with the bumper? what an excellent idea! I should get on doing that :thankyou:

I know you were talking about lowering the tank in another thread. That's a step in the right direction but it won't solve the parachute issue, there's a lot of open area that air can get into, this might be one reason the rear bumper is attached with so many bolts LOL
Once you lowered the tank maybe add fiberglass or aluminum plates to block air ??

most of the time, when I talk about something; it's because I'm either already doing it or will do in short order - which for some reason irritates the crap out of the trolls - so it's a double bonus :)

PA240002.jpg

PA250001-2.jpg

18 ga, Stainless steel #4 finish :) Pretty huh? :waxer:
:D

anyway, between there isn't much room between the tank and the bumper because there's the back bumper/brace that fills most of the space.....

Corvette Racing Legends has a lot of Greenwood info. Unfortunately I left mine in a coffee shop and have to order another copy. If you like reading corvette books, it is a must have.

On another note, It looks like APR performance sells the big CF wing like on the grey C3 for $1500. GTC series, and it looks good on C5 and c6 vettes.

It`s doubtful in my mind that that silver thing goes fast enough to need all those ricer bolt on`s, Greenwood running Daytona with his wide body is a different story. an old pal of mine used to use the term "it looks like ass" when he saw something he didn`t like, I think it applies to that silver thing.

It`s doubtful in my mind that that silver thing goes fast enough to need all those ricer bolt on`s, Greenwood running Daytona with his wide body is a different story. an old pal of mine used to use the term "it looks like ass" when he saw something he didn`t like, I think it applies to that silver thing.

Thank you Howard!! :smash::rofl::thankyou::thumbs::clap:

I'm the last guy in the world qualified to offer an opinion here, but see if that stops me. I would think that the Greenwood style spoiler that ties into the rear bodywork would be a lot more effective than a super high wing. And I base my assumption on absolutely no facts at all!

But I did find this neat little article with pictures of all generations of vettes in a wind tunnel..
http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_0905_corvette_wind_tunnel_testing/viewall.html

I'm the last guy in the world qualified to offer an opinion here, but see if that stops me. I would think that the Greenwood style spoiler that ties into the rear bodywork would be a lot more effective than a super high wing. And I base my assumption on absolutely no facts at all!But I did find this neat little article with pictures of all generations of vettes in a wind tunnel..
http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_0905_corvette_wind_tunnel_testing/viewall.html

I disagree with the first bolded sentence. Anybody who has a choice to run a wing vs a spoiler (F1, Indycar, LeMans prototypes, WoO, etc) all run a wing. A wing in high clean air is more efficient than a spoiler on a rear deck immersed in dirty turbulent air.

I agree with the second bolded sentence.

[/quote]

I disagree with the first bolded sentence. Anybody who has a choice to run a wing vs a spoiler (F1, Indycar, LeMans prototypes, WoO, etc) all run a wing. A wing in high clean air is more efficient than a spoiler on a rear deck immersed in dirty turbulent air.
[/QUOTE]

what do they run in NASCAR?

[/QUOTE]

what do they run in NASCAR?[/QUOTE]

They run what the rules mandate. Innovation or revolutionary changes are restricted in these cookie cutter looking cars.

Aero's and Bicycling!

Watching the TDF riders cruise at 25mph in a tight formation is impressive.
From that position, drafting is effective from as little as 10mph and I can
really feel it at 15mph.

I remember a record holding boat racer telling me the scoop only works after
60mph.

I'm guessing a small spoiler vs. full body drag takes much more speed to see a difference?

R

what do they run in NASCAR?[/QUOTE]

They run what the rules mandate. Innovation or revolutionary changes are restricted in these cookie cutter looking cars.[/QUOTE]

yea not exactly. they tried wings, they didn`t work and NASCAR went back to spoilers

It`s doubtful in my mind that that silver thing goes fast enough to need all those ricer bolt on`s, ..............

I disagree. There is no speed threshold where aero suddenly "kicks in".

While any benefits are obviously greater at higher speeds, they are not null at lower speeds.

maybe but there is a speed where aero makes a real noticeable difference, and I doubt you or that silver thing has been there...

Watching the TDF riders cruise at 25mph in a tight formation is impressive.
From that position, drafting is effective from as little as 10mph and I can
really feel it at 15mph.

I remember a record holding boat racer telling me the scoop only works after
60mph.

I'm guessing a small spoiler vs. full body drag takes much more speed to see a difference?

R

the fastest a "normal" (not recumbant) for unassistant speed on a bicycle is: 45-55mph
fastest recumbant (unassisted) is 81 mph

fastest assisted (I used to do this, it's a blast) happens at velodromes (bike race tracks) where a motorcycle paces you... there the top speed is 120 mph.... yes, aero matters a lot

what do they run in NASCAR?

They run what the rules mandate. Innovation or revolutionary changes are restricted in these cookie cutter looking cars.[/QUOTE]

yea not exactly. they tried wings, they didn`t work and NASCAR went back to spoilers[/QUOTE]

They installed NASCAR-spec mandated wings that were what, four inches off the rear deck? Do you really think that 30 independent teams looking to be faster than anyone else would all arrive at the same identical design (a wing four inches off the deck)? No serious aero person would choose to do that. The COT wing sounds like just more silliness from the NASCAR boardroom.

Would you put a wing four inches off the deck?

It`s doubtful in my mind that that silver thing goes fast enough to need all those ricer bolt on`s, ..............

While any benefits are obviously greater at higher speeds, they are not null at lower speeds.

maybe but there is a speed where aero makes a real noticeable difference, and I doubt you or that silver thing has been there...

You have no clue how fast, or what kind of cars I've driven. (FWIW I have first hand experience with the aero/handling difference between a non-winged and a winged sprint car. Night and day difference.) And there's no maybe about aero. It's physics and there's no formula that has a velocity constant stating there's noticeable aero effects above that speed, and unnoticeable aero effects below that speed.

Two can play the asshole game here Howard, and I've had plenty of caffeine this afternoon. If you want to talk facts, physics, or engineering, I'm all ears. Or if you prefer to play the game, I'm here too.

Actually, you are incorrect. There IS a threshold speed where aero kicks in. And newsflash, but it ain't travelling at any legal speed limit in the USA. So most of those wings and spoilers and flippers you see on the backs of ricers and racer wannabes on the street are strictly bling.

Actually, you are incorrect. There IS a threshold speed where aero kicks in. And newsflash, but it ain't travelling at any legal speed limit in the USA. So most of those wings and spoilers and flippers you see on the backs of ricers and racer wannabes on the street are strictly bling.

Care to quote that speed and the formulas to support that claim?

So aero doesn't "work" at low speed?
There IS a threshold speed where aero kicks in. And newsflash, but it ain't travelling at any legal speed limit in the USA.
Kinda makes me wonder all about my low and slow Hang Glider. It seemed to work just fine. I didn't set any speed records though. :clap:

Cheers - Jim

[/QUOTE]

You have no clue how fast, or what kind of cars I've driven. (FWIW I have first hand experience with the aero/handling difference between a non-winged and a winged sprint car. Night and day difference.) And there's no maybe about aero. It's physics and there's no formula that has a velocity constant stating there's noticeable aero effects above that speed, and unnoticeable aero effects below that speed.

Two can play the asshole game here Howard, and I've had plenty of caffeine this afternoon. If you want to talk facts, physics, or engineering, I'm all ears. Or if you prefer to play the game, I'm here too.
[/QUOTE]

a winged sprint car weights how much? has tires how wide? has what 850-900hp? and a wing on top the size of a roof and you want to compare that to a Corvette? which is the apple and which the orange?

Last edited:

Care to quote that speed and the formulas to support that claim?

http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/spoiler-aerodynamics.php

Formulas are in this discussion. :
http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/honda/1424/What-does-a-spoiler-do