recommended drop base air cleaners?

joehalford01

I have a performer rpm intake I'd like to install and a 625cfm edelbrock carb to go with it (until i get some money for a holley). It's a fairly tall intake in comparison to the original but I'd like to keep the stock hood for now so I need to find a decent drop base air cleaner. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the afco spun aluminum 14" with a 2" drop base, it's $55 with no air cleaner element. I see there is a pro-form steel drop base available for about $30 but i try to stay away from the pro-form stuff. So? Recommended drop base cleaners that are a good value? Throw them at me, unless you want to see a 1980 vette with a chrome velocity stack sticking awkwardly out of a hole in the hood :gurney:.

that screams china, do you people really buy that stuff? I'm not an American but whenever I can I buy US made stuff, I refuse to buy Chinese (apart from some of the ACDelco stuff that comes in w/ made in china on it :( )

The Edelbrock carb is a better choice for a street engine than any Holley IMHO. Dont waste your money , keep the Edelbrock.

Any of the Z/28 air cleaner clones will work, check Goodmark for one.

Last edited:
that screams china, do you people really buy that stuff?YES I'm not an American but whenever I can I buy US made stuff, I refuse to buy Chinese (apart from some of the ACDelco stuff that comes in w/ made in china on it :( )

tell me - what isn't made in China? I'll bet even the K&N stuff originates in China. A lot of the so called Billet aluminum parts - made in China too.
A K&N filter costs over $100 compared to the $40.00 knock off. Go ahead and spend your money any way you like.

Even my damned GE washing machine is made in China.

The OP asked for a "good value" suggestion.

:gurney:

that screams china, do you people really buy that stuff?YES I'm not an American but whenever I can I buy US made stuff, I refuse to buy Chinese (apart from some of the ACDelco stuff that comes in w/ made in china on it :( )

tell me - what isn't made in China? I'll bet even the K&N stuff originates in China. A lot of the so called Billet aluminum parts - made in China too.
A K&N filter costs over $100 compared to the $40.00 knock off. Go ahead and spend your money any way you like.

Even my damned GE washing machine is made in China.

The OP asked for a "good value" suggestion.

:gurney:

:shocking: I thought GE moved their Louisville Ky. plant to MEXICO, not China, but that was many years ago....maybe the subbed that out to China by now, jeebus.....gotta compete with all the companies that import from the one hung lo operation in Hong Kong, I guess.....you know, I have a 6000 btu room window a/c unit, from about 1958-59 or so, I left the mate to it hanging in a garage when I moved south.....this one was in my bedroom as a later teenager, the two units would a/c the entire house....from two of the 3 upstairs bedrooms, it was a center hall colonial....about 600' per floor.....guess what? this room a/c will still freeze the balls off a monkey, we have used it as a backup unit here in Florida, as recently as ten years ago it kept the entire back section of this house cold as hell, had to even turn the temp up....that's about 500' worth of house, back when the roof wasn't white yet, and the central took a royal dump.....

Flat out, they don't make shit that good anymore, it is the last of the really olde tyme ADMIRAL corporation....before Ross Saraguza took it over and ruined the company with cheep shit...

:pprrtt::ill::1st:

that screams china, do you people really buy that stuff? I'm not an American but whenever I can I buy US made stuff, I refuse to buy Chinese (apart from some of the ACDelco stuff that comes in w/ made in china on it :( )

I agree with TT but we live in a throw away society, it`s all about price. just remember all that Chinese crap you guys are buying is costing someone somewhere their job...one day that someone might be you.

I don't disagree with buying American as long as it doesn't break me. The biggest problem is finding something American made that is competitively priced.
If it were a Chinese crankshaft instead of an air filter assembly I would have some serious misgivings about it.

And let me take this opportunity to apologize to the O.P. for taking this post off topic and into the gray political arena..... it was not intended.

joehalford01 - did you find a suitable base?

:drink:

Thanks for the replies guys. Let' not get into another china/america debate that's on every forum everywhere lol. I'm going to look into that Moroso drop base as well. I like the afco because it's spun aluminum (lightweight) but $40 for a k&n look-alike sounds like a damn good deal...

I used the Morosco drop base: ZZ4 engine in a 68, Holley carb, stock hood.

The Morosco was a little over $30. The stock air cleaner upper lid can be used to replace the Morosco upper lid. The stock air cleaner upper makes the air cleaner assembly look stock.