Resistor parallel with IAT sensor

enkeivette

So, there are a few companies like JET that sell resistors to replace the IAT so the engine thinks its cold and richens the air fuel mixture (with the intent to make more power).

So, heres my question, would it be possible to add a resistor inline with the IAT sensor to increase the resistance slightly leaning out the air fuel ratio (with the hope to make gas mileage better)?

Example: Suppose the IAT reads between 5k ohms (cold) and 8k ohms (hot). If you added a 1k resistor in series with the resistor, (I would use a wideband to see how it affected it) you might be able to lean it out right? Or run one in parallel to decrease if the resistance was inverse to temp.

Or would the O2 sensor reading just adjust for this?

Last edited:
Computer would adjust to another position on the cal map in the memory, and try to return to 14.7 -1 I did your idea with an old analogue computer running DPFI on a Pontiac engine some 22? years ago....went from a caddy 425 engine to a 462" Poncho....run like a charm....until the computer died....

:shocking:

Damn mr vette, you really know the electronics of an engine inside and out. Are you an automotive electrical engineer?

Damn mr vette, you really know the electronics of an engine inside and out. Are you an automotive electrical engineer?

OH HELL NO!!! just an old electronics geek from the vacuum tube daze yet, was a TV/Appliance shop manager, and when that industry went to the Japs and so nothing was worth fixing, I went to work for a small security systems company, doing design lab work, and field service/install problems work...got a hell of an education from the physicists and EE's and ME's on that job...my job was to shut up and listen in on the engineering meetings...so I too could be smart with the customers.....it lasted for just shy of 5 years, ending in '85....at that point, I went into the home improvement/remodeling business, remodeling anything about a house, from basement through roof.....specializing in kitchens and baths....

Customers would ask about decorating colors sometimes, my favorite reply was......paint it purple with pink polka dots....

'not my house, I can't tell you want to do.....:tomato::D:sweat: gotta good laugh over it....

signed about 50% of the folks I talked to....not a bad ratio...

:friends:

If you want it richer, crank up the fuel pressure...the BLM and INT will regulate it back down again (but not @ WOT) within limits...assuming you need more fuel @ WOT?

Crazy life mr vette! Jack of all trades

TT, I want it leaner. Its a 4 cyl wrangler and Im trying to squeeze more than 15 mpg out of it.

Crazy life mr vette! Jack of all trades

TT, I want it leaner. Its a 4 cyl wrangler and Im trying to squeeze more than 15 mpg out of it.

IF you can you maybe lower the pressure then....

My ONE regret in life, never messed with aircraft....suspect much to relief from most folks....:sweat::D

tune a custom bin and lock the BLM to a max of 108 LOL that will lean it out :D or put a daytona front end on ;)