reverse flow radiator?

Jclgodale3

In installing my 1994 LT1 in the 68 Vette, are there special reverse flow radiators that have to be used? Or can a stock type radiator be used?:mad:

I can't imagine anything different about the radiator, just the plumbing, possibly ....

Can't see the rad giving a damn which way the water flow, either...except for the position of the input/output...note the input is always up top, the output on/near the bottom, so the pump always sucks water, even if the system is lo.......

:nuts:

Last edited:
Reverse flow cooling is associated with flow of coolant inside the engine block. Standard flow cools the cylinders first however a LT1's reverse flow cooling, cools the heads first ... However the radiators are both conventional crossflow design and I'm pretty sure the the LT1 and L98 radiators are virtually the same so yes you could use you original radiator to cool a LTx motor but you might have to add an additional inlet/outlet pipe for something the LTx has that your original engine didn't.

Well, on the later LT1 the output water neck on the pump faces to the right of the radiator and the input neck faces towards the left side of the radiator (left upper port on the radiator) Can I hook them up this way? Or do I have to criss cross the damn hoses in front of the pump to connect them correctly? Hooking them up as it is would cause the water pump to push water into the lower right spout and come out in the upper left spout back to the motor. Is this going to cause a problem for the water pump to push this amount of water up the radiator before exiting back into the water pump??? Does this make sense?

the thermostat outlet side should go to the drivers side and the waterpump inlet side should got to the passenger side. unless you have maybe a f-body lt1 which I think there inlet'outlets were on opposite sides that a vettes were

But no matter how you hook it up as long as the waterpump draws from the bottom of the radiator and the thermostat outlet flows into the top of the radiator you will be fine.

Last edited:
Yes, you risk cavitation sucking from the top even though the system is under pressure.

Have you ever seen one set up this way on anything, I never have.

Position of tstat is irrelevent.