Rodeck engine

No, the tax goons are on to me, I have to pay for every package that arrives. I tried it via MyBad79 after doing it via Houston TX for years. I'm blacklisted as a parts smuggler most likely :D :flash:

No, the tax goons are on to me, I have to pay for every package that arrives. I tried it via MyBad79 after doing it via Houston TX for years. I'm blacklisted as a parts smuggler most likely :D :flash:

:goodevil: ooop's time to have the parts sent to your dad or brother or somebody else.

You bad boy :suspicious:

They have those addys jotted down also :(

Gonna use a German address and see how that goes. At least their customs wo't hold packages for weeks and weeks (and the bad part is, you ahve to pay taxes over shipping too, so if you have stuff sent quickly it costs more for the shipping, more tax and they hold the packge for a week so you don't get the service you pay for...niiiice)

Gonna use a German address and see how that goes. At least their customs wo't hold packages for weeks and weeks (and the bad part is, you ahve to pay taxes over shipping too, so if you have stuff sent quickly it costs more for the shipping, more tax and they hold the packge for a week so you don't get the service you pay for...niiiice)

Well that down right sucks :flash: sounds like you have tried all the in's & out's,how about a PO box.

Ever thought about moving over here???????:cool:

To answer turtles original question:

Get some heads with like a 67+ cc chamber or you are going to have to buy dish pistons.

A hyd roller cam so you dont have to buy fancy shmancy oils or wipe some cam lobes (used retro-fit rollers from the flea-bay)

There are plenty of cast or Hyper pistons available to meet your needs.

some el cheapo studs and roller tip rockers (cheap, and flea-bay maybe) and reuse your valve covers.

Timing covers are like $15 bucks or so.

A low profile Q-Jet intake so you can put your OE top end on it, (Q-jet intakes are a PIA btw)

depending on your mains cast crankshafts are readily available from eagle or scat for 150-200 bucks

a new balancer is a must, OE dampers are like $80 bucks, you are now internally balanced and can rob your old motor of its flywheel etc.

An edelbrock carb to get away from the Q-jet are cheap enough.

I am coming around to your way of thinking.

I might be revising expectations downwards to a reasonable 355. Hella easier on parts. Less block modifications.

To answer turtles original question:

Get some heads with like a 67+ cc chamber or you are going to have to buy dish pistons.

A hyd roller cam so you dont have to buy fancy shmancy oils or wipe some cam lobes (used retro-fit rollers from the flea-bay)

There are plenty of cast or Hyper pistons available to meet your needs.

some el cheapo studs and roller tip rockers (cheap, and flea-bay maybe) and reuse your valve covers.

Timing covers are like $15 bucks or so.

A low profile Q-Jet intake so you can put your OE top end on it, (Q-jet intakes are a PIA btw)

depending on your mains cast crankshafts are readily available from eagle or scat for 150-200 bucks

a new balancer is a must, OE dampers are like $80 bucks, you are now internally balanced and can rob your old motor of its flywheel etc.

An edelbrock carb to get away from the Q-jet are cheap enough.

i'm not convinced there are any retrofit roller lifters that are reliable. You get 10K miles out of them then they turn sideways and wipe the cam.

The L98 heads can be ported to provide what i need.

The engine will have a QJ to look stock - end of story. I have a low rise 81 vette aluminum manifold. Whatever i go to will need to fit a QJ and fit easily under a stock hood with stock air cleaner.

everything needs to look completely stock. The Rodeck and 350+ lettering will be ground off.

well that makes it easier yet.

First you need to find out your mains size. That will dictate your choice of crankshaft choices.

Roller cams have been in motors for almost 2 decades now, I think the only point of failure that could exist on a retro-fit would be the link bar. As the government gets more nazi-ish its going to get harder and harder to maintain that flat tappet motor. Even a mild solid roller would do yourself a favor with. If you really wanted to be an ass you could call all the major retro-fit lifter makers and ask them to provide you their MTBF numbers.

If you are going to reuse the L98 heads your are definitely going to need dish pistons, and since your a cheap bastard, 5.7" rods and hyper pistons will be your friends. Let me do some research and get back to you on your realistic options.
Realistically your piston choices are going to be:

+12.5cc dish = 11.47:1 compression ratio (not gonna fly)
+18cc dish = 10.8:1 compression ratio (Maybe)
+30cc dish = 9.6:1 compression ratio (Ding Ding Ding we have a winner)

With the 30cc dish pistons you can get yourself an XE262 cam kit, which will probably have everything you need.

With such a mild combo you will be lucky to break 300hp, and drive like a desiel. You could swap in like a 2.73 rear gear, and goto town.

Are you going to put in some headers to save weight too?

I would call a couple of the cam makers to get the right cam for your application.

Last edited:
With such a mild combo you will be lucky to break 300hp, and drive like a desiel. You could swap in like a 2.73 rear gear, and goto town.

Are you going to put in some headers to save weight too?

i already run the mid 80's shorty header. They are very light.

The standard L-82 cam has plenty of duration. I do want to go solid flat tappet though.

It has 400 mains. I'm gonna run a stock fuel pump. Autozone 14.99

i already run the mid 80's shorty header. They are very light.

The standard L-82 cam has plenty of duration. I do want to go solid flat tappet though.

It has 400 mains. I'm gonna run a stock fuel pump. Autozone 14.99

Just asking about the headers. Sounds good.

If you are going to do a solid flat tappet, I would do the XE268S.

I really dont think that with your heads, there really isnt a point to shoot for a lot of RPM.

The perspective is that you are taking heads that were meant for a 350 peaking out at 4500 if your lucky, and then asking them to support 15% more displacement. This motor is not ever going to be a screamer, so why not play to its strengths?

Last edited:
Just asking about the headers. Sounds good.

If you are going to do a solid flat tappet, I would do the XE268S.

I really dont think that with your heads, there really isnt a point to shoot for a lot of RPM.

5800 is fine. I have gone to 6300 with the shit goodwrench engine and the L-98 heads. Had to so i could top out the car on the Mario straight at Mosport.

Let me think about that. (thanks for the mental exercise BTW)

I would get an XE282S ground on a 112 LSA instead of a 110LSA, then go with the 18cc dish pistons.

or XE290S

Probably looking at 350hp

Last edited:
5800 is fine. I have gone to 6300 with the shit goodwrench engine and the L-98 heads. Had to so i could top out the car on the Mario straight at Mosport.

You should do fine with L-98 heads. I'm running the same heads on a 350 that peaks in horsepower at 5800 rpm, and I shift typically at 6200.

what do you all think a L98 headed roller cam 355 with headers and stock 2.5 inch system should do....the induction is LT1 DPFI, modded intake ...

the cam is I 212 and .484 at valve, and Ex 226 and .520 at valve...measured at .050 lobe sep 112 c/line 108

injectors are 24#......anyone any ideas??