Seriously considering removing side pipes and having duals put on.

BlackRat

I just don't know if I can take the noise anymore. I have spiral baffles in the tubes with 5\8 holes drilled in the ends of them. Not having the holes made it quieter but real choked the BB down. Do I have any alternative. I hate to lose the look but I can't here the stereo at all!!!!!!

Thanks
Wade

I love the looks and had lots of compliments but had to finally take them off when;
1. I kept getting headaches when I took a 1.5 hrs run twice a month to get to a girlfriends place many years ago.
2. The fifth person got burned badly even after repeated attempts and say, please watch out for the sidepipes when you exit since it's really hot on your leg.
3. The good quality stereo system I had really didn't sound that great, especially since I couldn't really get the full effect over the exhaust noise.

I hear ya.

Eh, get a KW worth of McINtosh and a set up of REAL speakers.....then wear earmuffs to save your hearing.....

:bump::bounce::quote:

I hear ya. My dog almost got burned the other day. I have been burned several times and a freind of my wife's got burned. I am also afraid my kids will forget one day and touch them. They are cool looking but becoming way to much of a problem.

Thinking 3" system out the back. i would think this will lower underhood temps a little as well.

I had 3" under car very carefully crafted for max gorund clearance and I hated it every drive. It would scrape over speed bumps of get hammered if the road had pot holes. I switched to side pipes and love every second of the improved ground clearance.

I have custom headers going into Sweet Thunder side pipe inserts. They offer minimal restriction and sound awesome. It is loud but quieter than blown out Hookers - no kidding about that! I went with these mufflers and the fiberglass ACS covers painted silver. Looks great and cool to the touch after a long ride too.

If your car is lower any under car solution is going to get hammered to death. If you pull a muffler off at the joint by the rear (when the muddler clamp digs into the road!) it can destroy the rear quarter and filler panel while exiting from under the car. The rear hanger holds it in place but it causes a lot of mayen! I fixed a car that happened too..

If you have dogs or kids the biggest problem is the primary tubes.

Yea, I can see that. The scars on the back of my legs came from getting out of the car in the summer while wearing shorts:suicide:

If he can get away with the shields, someone must have a solution for sound which doesn't restrict flow.

Stuff stainless wool in the spirals

The boom tubes I made were too damn noisy too, 120+ dB is not fun anymore, after adding some dB reducers (holed cones) it only took the sharp pitched sounds off, didn't make it noticeably quieter so this is what i did, I packed some header inserts w/ wool. Really made a difference. Sounds the same, deep rumble...just not obnoxiously loud, now it's tolerable loud.

24a85f76588fb9.jpg

Stuff stainless wool in the spirals

The boom tubes I made were too damn noisy too, 120+ dB is not fun anymore, after adding some dB reducers (holed cones) it only took the sharp pitched sounds off, didn't make it noticeably quieter so this is what i did, I packed some header inserts w/ wool. Really made a difference. Sounds the same, deep rumble...just not obnoxiously loud, now it's tolerable loud.

24a85f76588fb9.jpg

I must give you that you have quite an arsenal of good solutions...:thumbs:

TT,

I have the JCL spiral baffles. Do you think this will work for me as well??

Thanks
Wade

Gotta keep the wool trapped or it'll work it's way out. Weld some "traps" to the ends of a couple of spirals so that the wool can't blow out.

Bangkok Dean sells some nice looking SS shields to go over the sidepipes. Send him a PM. He can send you a picture. I think they're made in Thailand, but shipped from the US.

Thailand is a good place for SS work. It's a tropical country and any steel outdoors has to be SS if it's going to last a long time. You see a lot of polished mirror smooth SS gates, fences, railings, panels, etc over there.