Snapped a stub shaft today and bent twisted the other

Yellow73SB

Snapped a stub shaft today and twisted the other

Firstly, the four speed manual tranny is night and day compared to the th400, but obviously the extra power and severeness got to the rear end.

I think we are going to do a 12 bolt rear end. We will see, the guy that has a shop by us mentioned he had all the stuff, and he has been in a selling mood since I bought all my big block stuff off him.

I have kind of forgot what the 12 bolt conversion entails so I'll be researching :smash:

I'll get pics up soon

Last edited:
HUMMM....perchance a little less in the TIRE dept???

:crap::surrender::smash:

The tires are older and not nearly as soft as they are new

2cdizix.jpg

Thanks Gary, If he doesn't have the 12 bolt stuff what would you recommenced doing to strengthen the 10 bolt stuff? 30 spline stubs, polishing case?

If you need them I should have all the 12 bolt stuff here less the gears, you can only use 373 411 or 456 gears so that might be a concern. Keep in mind the vette setup uses a 4 series 12 bolt case not a 3 and then it has to be machined,it's not a bolt in job.
Check your posi case, it may be cracked as well.
Yes in your case I would go to a 12 or one of my super 10's to otherwise you're going to be back to where you are now. How much power do you have?

Last edited:
I have a used 12 bolt setup that I bought as a core with a cover on it and did not know what it was until I got home. There are no axles in it, but I would sell the you the parts. I paid $500 for it, so if you give me what I got in it, you can have it. It will need to be built.
Thanks

That's a good price if it's a 12 bolt posi and the carrier is fit, you should consider it if you're thinking of a 12 bolt.

All the work was done on it. It needs to be assembled. This was a running unit when we bought it. I did not know what it was when I purchased it. To me it was just a core and it had a cover on it. I had a young employee who I was trying to teach rebuilding diffs to that had torn it down and cleaned everything.
I do not know where the spider gears are for it, but the ring and pinion are there, they are 4.11's.
Justin

The car has probably 400-450 hp

After punching the numbers in the top speed calc, the car will top out at 120 with 3.73's. The transmission is a 1.2 final drive ratio. This really isn't fast enough

Thanks for the offer though, it definitely is a great deal.

I guess this really only leave the choice of the 10 bolt. After looking at my corvette race car pics it seems like most cars are still running pretty standard stuff in the rear end department.

I have a set of 3.36 gears, only a 4 series carrier though.

I think what we are going to do now is rebuild the 4.11 posi and get heavy duty stubs shafts to run auto-x for awhile longer. And then get a 3 series posi and swap it and the 3.36 gears in.

Also the paint is peeling of the stock 2.5" shafts, I imagine its from them twisting, they will probably break soon. We need to get some new halfshafts also

Think everything thru twice before you spend the money, it seems you would be much happier with a 12 bolt, 3.73 or 4.11 gears and a 5spd... with a 3.36 rear end you might loose too much in the first three gears ???

And I hope you got the safety loops for the half shafts :wink::wink:

We just put in the straight cut gear transmission that you don't use the clutch to shift with

The toms heavy duty KA stub shafts came today

Just waiting on bearings, and halfshafts

what did you go with 17 or 30 spline inners?

17 spline, and the half shafts are 2.75" .090 wall

We just put in the straight cut gear transmission that you don't use the clutch to shift with

you don`t have to but you should.....at least on the downshifts.

Yeah I will on down shifts, but it is super smooth if you just let off the throttle a little and put in gear. Using a clutch is way rougher of shifts.

If you let of the gas and and shift with no clutch it is pretty rough also.

Last edited: