Solid Roller Lifters

Carb Doc

Just a little survey for anyone running a Solid Roller Cam on the Street, what Lifters are you using and success or failure rate???

We have been using the Morel which I believe the Lunati lifters are build by Morel, The Morels are built to fit a GM lifter bore as we have seen some Comp lifters that were under size and the clearance was around .003

I am using a Comp Cam with their rollers. The engine has 5K on it over 10 years or so. I did have a roller trunion go bad right after I installed it. I noticed it quickly before the needles got lost in the engine. Comp replaced it free and I never had a problem but I am not sure I would buy another.

CompCams custom billet cam with the new solid rollers featuring the improved oiling system - no problem.
Lars

I think that a key question to ask about solid rollers is...what is the spring pressure? Someone may say that they've had no problem with solid rollers and someone will say they'll only last a short period of time. These people may have had dramatically different spring pressures. ...I'm interested in Lars comments that some new solid rollers have improved lubrication.

CompCams has revised their solid rollers to an improved lubrication system due to failures on street-driven, low-rpm engines. Their new solid roller series, the "Endure-X™," is designed to provide lubrication at lower rpm.

This is the warning that was included with all of the previous design solid rollers:

"Remember, when using solid roller lifters, the only oiling the lifters receive is from windage created by the rotating assembly. Excessive idling or very low rpm usage may cause lack of oil supply to the lifters and cause premature wear.... This can result in extensive engine damage."

The new lifters are the "Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifters. These feature what they call their "EDM Oil Injection™ technology," which ensures that the roller bearing assembly receives a constant flow of pressurized oil. This eliminates needle bearing oil starvation, historically a "problem area" for all solid roller lifters when used in low rpm and street applications.

My current setup has 220 lbs of pressure on the seat.

Lars

I use the same Comp lifters in my 427ci small block with .640" solid roller cam, no problems, as a matter of fact I got near 20,000 miles on their old style, I just used to rev it at a light, everyone thought I wanted to race, while I was trying to get some oil to my lifters :)

Any truth to using solid roller cam lifters on a hydraulic roller cam for more longevity in street use?
Read that somewhere today, can't remember where, it was after one of those goalless google searches.
Something about reduced ramp rates on a hydraulic roller cam vs solid roller cam.

Any truth to using solid roller cam lifters on a hydraulic roller cam for more longevity in street use?
Read that somewhere today, can't remember where, it was after one of those goalless google searches.
Something about reduced ramp rates on a hydraulic roller cam vs solid roller cam.

I think that spring rates are typically higher for solid lifters so you'd lose any benefit gained by a "softer" profile. I would think the greatest point of wear would be at the greatest point of lift. All things being equal, that would be the same regardless of profile.

I think that spring rates are typically higher for solid lifters so you'd lose any benefit gained by a "softer" profile. I would think the greatest point of wear would be at the greatest point of lift.

Some of the solid roller cams assemblies can have very large spring pressures. I've seen spring pressures at 300 and more pounds. At 6000 rpm/100 rpsec a valve is being cycled at 50 times per second. Getting a 300 pound + impulse ever 50 times per second on the lifter can be very stressful.

(Is my math correct here? )

CompCams has revised their solid rollers to an improved lubrication system due to failures on street-driven, low-rpm engines. Their new solid roller series, the "Endure-X™," is designed to provide lubrication at lower rpm.

This is the warning that was included with all of the previous design solid rollers:

"Remember, when using solid roller lifters, the only oiling the lifters receive is from windage created by the rotating assembly. Excessive idling or very low rpm usage may cause lack of oil supply to the lifters and cause premature wear.... This can result in extensive engine damage."

The new lifters are the "Endure-X™ Solid Roller Lifters. These feature what they call their "EDM Oil Injection™ technology," which ensures that the roller bearing assembly receives a constant flow of pressurized oil. This eliminates needle bearing oil starvation, historically a "problem area" for all solid roller lifters when used in low rpm and street applications.

My current setup has 220 lbs of pressure on the seat.

Lars
This is about my set-up...same billet Comp cam and Endure-X lifters. I just swapped cams (again) and the cam and lifters looked like new. 210 lbs. seat. Lots of stop and go traffic.

There was a Tech article on this in one of the mags where a cam company tech engineer was asked about this. The article claims that boat guys do this a lot - SR lifters on a HR cam.

Anyway, the cam tech didn't specifically endorse this, but commented that the SR lifter lash should be set at .004"/.006".

Jake