Something wrong in Seattle

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
First time I've ever been in Seattle and the weather is great- 80*, sun is shining, sky is clear. Every other time I've been here, it's raining, cloudy and cold. Got to be something out of whack. I hope it holds on- I'll be here another week.

:eek:

Just the right time of year, Tim. I lived in Portland for two years and learned that up in the PNW, there are two seasons: summer, and the rainy season. Portland was awesome between July 13 and August 9.

shush you - this is not something we want the world to know...most years we have a glorious summer that starts on July 6 and ends the Friday before Labor day.

so how did you get a visa to visit Seattle during the summertime? I thought we reduced that number to zero (though, we do give out visas for October through May like candy)

Airplanes come and airplanes go. We have 2 at SEATAC right now, one leaving at 2am and the other one goes Tuesday. Then we get another one. So I'll be here until at least Tuesday.
Really liking the weather-

We'll take credit for stealing the Northwests rain here in the Southeast.

Ralphy

Then you need to meet us at XXX in Issaquah at 5 pm on Sunday.... there should be a half-dozen Corvette folks there.... including my chinese infused C3 :)

Send me some directions and I'll be there. We should have the airplane done and ready to go by then.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pacific-northwest/3295091-official-issaquah-xxx-drive-in-meet.html
98 NE Gilman Blvd Issaquah, WA 98027
www.triplexrootbeer.com/‎

Where you're at - easy to get to. From SeaTac, go east on 518 (2.5 miles), it becomes I-405. Go north on I-405 (10 miles) to I-90. Go East on I-90 7.2 miles to Gilman Blvd. Turn right, then at the next light turn left and it'll be on your left. It has a huge sign, but it's only really visible if you're going west....

even though this is an "off" day - they don't have a show going on - the lot will be full of classic cars. Look for my C3, I'll be the tall, goofy guy nearby.

I'll be there, unless something breaks. I'm not hard to miss-I'll be wearing a logo T-shirt -- 10 Tanker Aerial Firefighting..

Hey Tim, things are normal here in Florida, 110% humidity, and 100f temps, and we have lost 2 dozen catfish to drowning in the swamp at bottom of the hill....:crutches::trumpet:

and about that Asiana 214 flight into SF.....

http://www.mediafire.com/view/f1167pmdjppphba/Asiana214_crash.pdf

how in hell anyone walked out is just a SWAG......

Couple of reasons- Just my opinion, no official info, observations only-
one, the right engine is where the fire started after the commotion was over- the residual fuel and oil spilled onto the hot engine that was against the fuselage, the heat melted the windows and the fire went inside and spread from there. Just about everyone was already out when the fire started. The rules state a full aircraft evac must be no longer than 90 seconds.
The second- that airplane is built to last. Tougher than shoe leather.
Anything else, they would have been out there with a scoop shovel pickup up pieces. It would have scattered like a piece of glass hit with a hammer.

The first I heard of the incident. My thoughts were fuel line icing. It's happened a couple of times before, However I found this aircraft had different power-plants. I never figured what seems, a group of pilots could be so ignorant. Also pretty cool how the landing gear are designed to shear off.

Another point, the talking heads were referring to an engine lost. Hell both were lost, one just happened to stay near the fuselage.

http://atwonline.com/aircraft-amp-engines/faa-issues-amended-ad-777-fuel-feed-system-icing-hazard

Hmmm....
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/southwest-airline-crash-inside-jet-061731211.html

Ralphy

Last edited:
One airline drilled one going into London a couple years ago- that one was powered by Rolls- they found the fuel filters were collecting ice and they ran out of power short of the runway. They fixed that problem.
The one in SFO, from the video and all of the pictures, looks like they got behind the airplane and tried to go around too late. Smacked the tail on the breakwater, ripped it off, and went downhill from there.
SFO was powered by Pratt's. Whole different way to get to the same place.

Either or, the certification is, IIRC, 8 seconds from flight idle to takeoff power. When they realized they were to low, they didn't have 8 seconds left between them and mother earth.

And I wanted to say thanks to the guys in Seattle- had a nice visit with all of you!

it was fun putting a face to a screen name - thanks for coming out last night and suffering politely about our root beer. :)

Now something fits - they said that the pilots gave the command for full power at 7s before landing..... I figured it'd take longer than 8s to get to full power - so the statement didn't click - now it does, thanks