Starter recommendation

keywestjack

Got home after a long ride in my 77. The car sat for several hours and then, no start. They battery is good and it appears to be the starter. I am going to remove it and check the circuit but I think the headers cooked the starter. If my suspicions are right what do you recommend for a replacement. I am thinking about a mini starter under the Summit name: (for example) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-829100/

Using the original starter I always put in a relay to switch battery per to the start terminal on the solenoid. This avoids the starter switch not supplying enough current.

I now run a later gm gear reduction starter with now problems at all.

Using the original starter I always put in a relay to switch battery per to the start terminal on the solenoid. This avoids the starter switch not supplying enough current.

I now run a later gm gear reduction starter with now problems at all.

Never have used the Ford trick, but the later starter here works fine on the '72 SBC....

:mobeer:

I've bought two of the mini starters from GMPP for small blocks and one mini-starter for a big block from GMPP. Once you buy a mini-starter, you won't want the clunky heavy stock starters.

GMPP = General Motors Performance Parts. With Google, you can download their catalog.....be warned......be VERY careful looking at the catalog. Whatever you do don't have anything to drink. If you want to drink, hid your credit cards before time. They've got some fantastic crate engines, some of them turn key.

mrvette the Ford solenoid/relay works great.

Keep in mind when buying a gear reduction starter that you 'll be able to get parts for it as nothing lasts for ever. When I ran a Ram starter I found parts for a late 70s Z car worked. I now run the GM version so if on the road I can get a new one easily.

Big block, headers and going on year 15 with that big old replacement starter I got from Autozone

I ordered the SUM-829100 for mine--BAD MOVE! Like an idiot, I relied on the plug-n-play vehicle info you enter on their site, which will guide you to this starter.

If you look closely, the 'battery' terminal on the solenoid is on the inboard side, not on the outboard side (to accomodate our rear-fed battery cable). You'd have to monkey it to make it work. (Summit will charge you a 20% restocking fee if you mount the starter--even if you don't fire it up)