Suggestions for painting the underbody.

elevatordude

Should I just paint or some kind of under coating. The car is off of the frame right now so I can use a spray gun. Also is there any type of paint I should use.

Thanks in advance, Ray

May I suggest bedliner? That's what I use, far superior to anything else. I like the textured finish too.

24b3fa95b20e29.jpg

249b4317571397.jpg

Yes you may... I'm sure it cuts down on any road noise too. Did you spray it or roll it on my buddy did his own bed liner and it really did come out great.

I wanted a smooth finish on my underside so there was no texture to trap dirt and easy to wipe clean. After stripping the underside clean and molding the wheel well area, I brushed and rolled PPG red epoxy primer (no spraying). It comes in many colors that flows well, so it works well on an underside and cleans easily. I wash my underside regularly, so this was important to me. It has been painted over three years now and still looks very good. This is another option to consider.
79RestorationPictures045-1.jpg
[/IMG]
79RestorationPictures043.jpg
[/IMG]
79RestorationPictures058.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Painted as in a color coated over the bedliner? Yes

If you mean painted as in applied with a brush, yes but if you use the rubber additive a roller is a much better idea than the brush but a UBS gun is the best. The guns are real cheap if you don't want to clean it...and it sprays on thick & easy.

RED
That looks real sharp!
Just wondering what the car looks like from the "outside"?
Like any exetrior pics - how do the wheels look "framed"in the backdrop of the red wheel wells? I've looked high and low for similar paint schemes and find nothing - except basic black wheel wells.

Kinda makes me think, "Great looking (red-panties) on that under-body!";)

Cheers - Jim

RED
That looks real sharp!
Just wondering what the car looks like from the "outside"?
Like any exetrior pics - how do the wheels look "framed"in the backdrop of the red wheel wells? I've looked high and low for similar paint schemes and find nothing - except basic black wheel wells.

Kinda makes me think, "Great looking (red-panties) on that under-body!";)

Cheers - Jim

The color is PPG red primer that is a two part epoxy paint. I always mix in extra hardner to give the finish more gloss. I have been told this is not the way to go because the paint won't work, but they have to agrue with my paint that has bee sticking for three years. This is done only because I am not topcoating. It is always brushed and rolled. My rollers are higher density foam at Wal-Mart. The paint flows well and nothing special needs to be done except, always mix the same amount, or you will have different textures all overt the car. Flat paint has a coarse surface that holds dirt, or a top coat of paint, I don'y do that. Smooth cleans better. You can put it over bondo or any clean and ready to paint surface.

The color is not a perfect match to my outside color, but they compliment each other. I'm sure a silver color would have worked, or any color of an interior. Plenty of race cars color their underside in a contrasting color to the outside. OSWDRace9-20-08.jpg

Hey Red did you thin the paint? by the way the car looks great.

Thanks, Ray

Nope....the paint was just mixed with hardner and brushed or rollled as it came out of the can. If I needed to thin it, I'd probably use a little laquer thinner if it was necessary. The job isn't easy, as all work needs to be done as if it were going on the top. BTW...I did this before I started drag racing the car so i could keep it clean when working on it. Thanks for the kind words!

"Mike, that does look great"
Thanks Karsten....after I get recent modifications finished we will have to hit one of the local cruises. I haven't been to the Saturday New Smyrna Saturday cruise in well over a year, maybe you would be interested in making the drive up?