Tall vs Standard Valve Covers?

DC3

I'm finishing up a Vintage Air install in my '73. I need to run one size shorter belt for the compressor but to do so I need to give up the tall valve covers. How much valve train clearance difference is there between tall and regular valve covers?

I have about 2.25" from the gasket surface of the head to the nut on top of the rocker. Any problems running shorter valve covers with this situation? I'm not sure if the previous owner went to tall valve covers because they were needed or for some other reason.

Thanks,

DC

Roller rockers may require tall covers. Easiest way to find out is a old cheap used short cover and see if it fits, you can likely find one for $10 at the junkyard.... Maybe somebody has one laying around ???

Roller rockers may require tall covers. Easiest way to find out is a old cheap used short cover and see if it fits, you can likely find one for $10 at the junkyard.... Maybe somebody has one laying around ???

Not rollers so I may be good to go. I think I know where there is an old valve cover I can use to double check. Then I need to pick out some new covers.

DC

Poly locks are the problem, not the rockers. Might need to glue 2 cork gaskets together to psace the valve covers up.

Years ago, some outfit made up super thick gaskets for that application....

however I have poly locks on my thick heavy roller rockers...not a issue....

however I have poly locks on my thick heavy roller rockers...not a issue....

tall or short covers ???

On the 993? stock iron heads, on the Edelbrock heads I used the cast finned stock vette valve covers....4 on the flange....

on these 113 stock aluminum heads, I use stock 4 in the center with stock neoprene gaskets....no sweat....

same poly locks and heavy cast cheep roller rockers....they are kind of a mess in they do not LOOK pretty like the more expensive at the time machined looking ones....but this was in '97 too....

so if these BUFF's fit, most anything can/could I would think...

:nuts::bump:

Poly locks are the problem, not the rockers. Might need to glue 2 cork gaskets together to space the valve covers up.

I'm using Fel-Pro 1628 gaskets (1/4" thick). Think that'll do it?

Great gaskets by the way. Here's a link:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1628/

Here are a couple of pics of what I have in case anyone can see a particular issue:

IMG0253600x800.JPG

IMG0254600x800.JPG

Thanks for the help. I'll tackle nearly anything but have managed to go my whole life without having any hands on experience with engine internals so this is out of my realm.

DC