The old "what wheels should I run" dilemma again...

CTVETTE78

Garage Junkie
I have been having a hard time deciding on a tire/wheel combination for my '78 project since I started on it. First is the choice between staying with the stock 255/60-15 tires or going to 255/50-17 in order to take full advantage of my suspension mods. I'm aware that the 15" tires are not going to perform as well as a lower profile 17" tire will, but I also do not want modern styled wheels with a large offset like newer Corvettes have.

My initial thought was to keep the 15" wheels that were on the car when I bought it since to be honest this project is running over budget like they always seem to do. There are a couple of problems with this approach. First, I can't decide if they look any good or not.

I have no idea what these are since there are no markings on them anywhere that I can find. Sometimes I think that they look OK, since they're not something that you see on a Vette very often and sometimes I think that they just look like 80's vintage speed shop crap. If they stay, my plan was to powder coat the centers grey since I'm not a fan of all polished wheels – too much "bling" for my tastes, and use a stock center cap. Anyway, it looks like these won't be usable after all since I finally got around to measuring them and it turns out that they have only 3-1/4" back space. That makes it pretty certain that there will be clearance problems with the front tires, no? The photos are a bit misleading; the suspension is not set up, there is still a lot of weight missing from the car, and the tires on there now are 215/65's.

thum_14450572ef986943.jpg

thum_14450e49f20cedcb.jpg

Looking at 17" wheels, I'm finding that most of the manufacturers have 17 x 8's with a 4-1/2" back space; there are not a lot of 4" back space wheels out there besides the TT-II's. But here's another question – I see some of the specs list a 4-1/2 back space on a 8" wheel with zero offset. How can that be, and will that work on a C3?

Decisions, decisions. Expensive decisions.

easiest way out: leave it as it is and drive the car first.... that way you can see if you like it or not, and also you can compare "before and after" between the suspension mods and the tire change.
If you wnt new tires for your 15" rims: 235-60 front and 255-60 rear would be a good choice, IF the ims are 8" wide.

It is difficult to find anything better than the TT2 rims, they fit perfectly and they're not too expensive in 17x8, guess that's why so many run them.

But here's another question – I see some of the specs list a 4-1/2 back space on a 8" wheel with zero offset. How can that be, and will that work on a C3?

Backspace is measured from the outside of the rim. The width of a wheel is measured from where the bead seats. So in reality, a 17x8 wheel would measure 9" overall width.
A 4" backspace on an 8" rim is generally 11mm offset I think. 4.5" backspace on an 8" wheel looks a little bit too sunken in IMO

But here's another question – I see some of the specs list a 4-1/2 back space on a 8" wheel with zero offset. How can that be, and will that work on a C3?

Backspace is measured from the outside of the rim. The width of a wheel is measured from where the bead seats. So in reality, a 17x8 wheel would measure 9" overall width.
A 4" backspace on an 8" rim is generally 11mm offset I think. 4.5" backspace on an 8" wheel looks a little bit too sunken in IMO

That's right! I should have remembered that, thanks.

So, that means that my current wheels are correct and should not have clearance issues if I choose to stay with the 15 inchers. That's good.

Also, apparently C3's do not use a zero offset wheel.

I should just order up a set of 17" TT2's, but I'm a cheap mofo.

yes you shouldn't have clearance issues. how are the tires? do you need new ones or can you drive it as it is now ??
those rims don't look too bad .... kinda like them.... what are they? Centerlines ?

The tires are junk. 12 year old mis-matched 215/65's.

The rims do look like old Centerlines but I can't find any markings anywhere. The backs have a lot of years of crud caked on them so when I dismount the tires and glass bead the backside I'm hoping to find some markings stamped in somewhere.

I've been going back and forth about liking/not liking the look of these since I got the car. I guess I'll clean them up and keep them for a while. Now to find a decent 15" tire. I've got Goodrich TA's on my Cutlass. They're not going to cut it on the Vette.

Here's how the car looked when I got it.

14450ec593b32b54.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Now that you say your tires are junk: Unless you like the look of the bigger sidewall I would not dump money on a set of 15" tires. You can find used 17x8 TT2s or good deals on Ebay.... even with the cheapest brand tire the 17" perform better than the 15"

I used to have 255-60 BF Goodrich on my stock aluminum rims, was ok for normal driving but cornering was not all that great.
17" lower profile tires make a huge difference.

Now that you say your tires are junk: Unless you like the look of the bigger sidewall I would not dump money on a set of 15" tires. You can find used 17x8 TT2s or good deals on Ebay.... even with the cheapest brand tire the 17" perform better than the 15"

I used to have 255-60 BF Goodrich on my stock aluminum rims, was ok for normal driving but cornering was not all that great.
17" lower profile tires make a huge difference.

CORRECTO MUNDO!!! having gone from my '87 vette with just 16" rims to this '72 , just for the style, and no emissions/gov/inspection crap.....

the addition of the later C4 rims made a whole LOT of improvement.....I want that route because of PRICE, and the adaptors were only 250 bux....I would have spent over twice as much for some dubious fitting aftermarket rims.....and to boot MY rims spoke of Corvette, not something from God knows what....I like to vaguely mimic the olde tyme daze of the TT2's and dislike the chrome rims from the olde tyme Crager SS wheels....

why? because everyone had the Crager SS.....I like to be a tad different....

:clap:

yeah..no one has torque thrust wheels....... :rolleyes:

TT, I not so sure of the different names these daze.....

the solid chrome rims.....ALL chrome, spokes and all, back in the daze was CRAGER SS look....chrome from center cap/nutz/spokes/rims.....

and to ME was too much with the chrome.....

there was an alternative that had a cast flat ARGENT? Gray look on the spokes, chrome lug nutz, and a brushed aluminum rim.....

I think of them as having been made by American ....something or other....

Argent gray was a OLD tyme Pontiac wheel color.....

One big problem is the huge calipers - many wheels that would fit (offset, BS, width) don't work because the backside of the spokes interfere with the calipers.

OHHHH - then the wheels could be REALLY WIDE!

I've considered widing my Western Cyclones (a 10 spoke varriant). But would rather go the 17 too.

Cheers - Jim

yeah..no one has torque thrust wheels....... :rolleyes:

That's just it, There don't appear to be too many choices. Somebody needs to cast a 17" version of a AR Vector. :thumbs:

..... Somebody needs to cast a 17" version of a AR Vector. :thumbs:

Oh my god, somebody make this happen. pleeeeeaaase.

-A Vector nut

..... Somebody needs to cast a 17" version of a AR Vector. :thumbs:

Oh my god, somebody make this happen. pleeeeeaaase.

-A Vector nut

I'm surprised American Racing hasn't done this. I'd be first in line.

One big problem is the huge calipers - many wheels that would fit (offset, BS, width) don't work because the backside of the spokes interfere with the calipers.

OHHHH - then the wheels could be REALLY WIDE!

I've considered widing my Western Cyclones (a 10 spoke varriant). But would rather go the 17 too.

Cheers - Jim

Y'all are sick, sick folks :ill::gurney:.... those wheels are as ugly as sin itself. That said, they make darn good hose holders :)

good thing different guys have different preferences..... otherwise all our cars had the same color, same wheels and so on..... would be kinda boring ....Lol

I like those rims, I think Centerline also has a 17" version of this rim with like 6 holes ??? have to see if I can find it....

ok, here it is .... 5 holes ... 5"bs , should fit with a solid hubcentric adapter and should then also clear the calipers.... but $300 each.....plus adapters .... ouch

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerline-Wheels/184/2037806547/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Last edited:
good thing different guys have different preferences..... otherwise all our cars had the same color, same wheels and so on..... would be kinda boring ....Lol

I like those rims, I think Centerline also has a 17" version of this rim with like 6 holes ??? have to see if I can find it....

ok, here it is .... 5 holes ... 5"bs , should fit with a solid hubcentric adapter and should then also clear the calipers.... but $300 each.....plus adapters .... ouch

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerline-Wheels/184/2037806547/10002/-1?parentProductId=

You mean we'd all have TT2s on our cars? next thing you're going to say is this trend will go the way of turbine wheels.... never, I tell ya, and I'll never tell some young whippersnapper that a white polyester leisure suit has ever been in style - they'd never believe me :)

ya'know, with that said, having wheels designed for you isn't as terribly expensive as it used to be