Tie birdcage to frame?

71vettewi

I have beefed up my frame on my 71 vetterod project. What are the pros and cons of tying in the birdcage to stiffen the car?

True but..

I am not competing the car and others on the forum have discussed how cages effect headroom and seat fitment, etc. I have added a backbone frame, tied it to the rear kick ups so I can jack up the car by the rear end of the frame with no issues. I haved lowered the floor and added insulation. Now I am trying to decide how to seal the new lower flat floor. Thought I could try to tie the birdcage at the rear panel and also it in at the firewall by connecting the lower A pillars to the backbone with a bar like on a mid-year. I was then working out what to do with the door jamb. I was thinking of doing it like the C6 and bonding a cover to the frame to seal it from the outside. There is a height issue on the sill but it would be a easy enough to glass in.
Just worried after all that hidden work it may cause stress cracking if the birdcage didn't float.
I guess there is only one way to find out.....

when I remove the glass windshield and put in lexan I will tie my birdgage to the roll bar halo... A 6 point roll cage will really amaze you... I have put in a 14 point cage, W braced the trans and Diff cross members, added a spreader bar, and still need to put in a X brace behind the radiator, tie in the top of the front shock mounts, gusset the halo, and build a hoop around the fuel cell.... :smash::smash::smash::banghead:

Thanks guys

I like the mods to your cars. Nice rear suspension, front bar and triangulation!
Thanks for the advice