Titan disaster— long article

rtj

I have been looking for some details on the technical background of the submersible failure. So far, this is the most comprehensive.

You get a limited number of views, but incognito might allow more.

Wow.
So typical of these days, though, "technology will save us" is the branding of a former president.... how stupid.

It kind explains his famous comment by the CEO about "not hiring 50 year old white guys." The expert told him to it was unsafe so he fired him.

It kind explains his famous comment by the CEO about "not hiring 50 year old white guys." The expert told him to it was unsafe so he fired him.
I've done lots of cases where we get outspent.... that said, if I were the attorney who represented the guy who quit, I'd file a bar complaint against Gilman (the attorney for OceanQuest). That said, getting outspent is fine, I know going in when I defend the little person....

Reactions: rtj

Or asking an accountant if she would like to pilot the thing:

"Soon afterward, Rush asked OceanGate's director of finance and administration whether she'd like to take over as chief submersible pilot. "It freaked me out that he would want me to be head pilot, since my background is in accounting," she told me. She added that several of the engineers were in their late teens and early twenties, and were at one point being paid fifteen dollars an hour. Without Lochridge around, "I could not work for Stockton," she said. "I did not trust him." As soon as she was able to line up a new job, she quit."

I've done lots of cases where we get outspent.... that said, if I were the attorney who represented the guy who quit, I'd file a bar complaint against Gilman (the attorney for OceanQuest). That said, getting outspent is fine, I know going in when I defend the little person....

I'm kind of curious about how many law suits happen as a result of this disaster. Basically, some very wealthy people died, and spending money on legal advice is not a road block.

Or asking an accountant if she would like to pilot the thing:

"Soon afterward, Rush asked OceanGate's director of finance and administration whether she'd like to take over as chief submersible pilot. "It freaked me out that he would want me to be head pilot, since my background is in accounting," she told me. She added that several of the engineers were in their late teens and early twenties, and were at one point being paid fifteen dollars an hour. Without Lochridge around, "I could not work for Stockton," she said. "I did not trust him." As soon as she was able to line up a new job, she quit."

Yeah, she wisely bailed out on them.

I saw an article today that interns designed the electrical system. :)

Yeah, that inspires confidence.

Yeah, she wisely bailed out on them.

I saw an article today that interns designed the electrical system. :)

Yeah, that inspires confidence.
It's really the way of the world - people think technology and science can fix anything. That design wouldn't make sense to a child - but if you apply 'new' materials and 'science' to it.... it'll all work.... the irony that it sank within yards of the Titanic really couldn't be scripted. That comment - titanium gets stronger under pressure, carbon never recovers... how does someone get so rich and yet also so blindingly stupid?

it just came out that it likely wasn't instantaneous - rather they realized there was a problem before they got squished....

Not to mention the "Viewing port" was certified to about 3000 feet...
And the pressure cycling of the previous trips did nothing to strengthen the hull.
Kinda like a few short-haul aircraft that lost sections of fuselage.

Somehow, says a lot about "diversity..."

Not to mention the "Viewing port" was certified to about 3000 feet...
And the pressure cycling of the previous trips did nothing to strengthen the hull.
Kinda like a few short-haul aircraft that lost sections of fuselage.

Somehow, says a lot about "diversity..."
the ocean doesn't care. It really does seem like people burned the history books and want to learn all those lessons again.... stop the planet, let me off because it isn't going to get better.

There was a meme showing their monitors screwed into the carbon fiber and I thought it was a photoshop.

Apparently it wasn't. Not a good idea structurally. But, some guys suggested it might have had a liner.

Found a copy.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.png
    IMG_0700.png
    754.3 KB · Views: 5