trailing arm question

Arthur Brown

I noticed a clunking noise when I accelerate or slow down, it's coming from the rear. I lifted the rear with a jack and two jackstands and I pushed and pulled on the wheel and the trailing arm. On the passenger side I feel movement, I can move the whole trailing arm back and forth. I bought the shop manual on Ebay and it looks like it's the front bushing. Are these difficult to replace ? Is Gary (GTR1999) still around ?

If you're going with rubber bushings, you need to remove the trailing arm which can be easy or a pain if the pivot bolt is rusted to the bushing sleeve. If your going with poly, I think you can install them while the arm is disconnected at the pivot bolt. There's an active thread going now where a sawsall has been put into action.

http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4028

You need to make sure that you mark the shims so that they go back in as they came out. If you have to cut them out, you'll need new shims and pivot bolt. I would go with new shims and bolt and just get it aligned when done.

Removing the bushing from the arm is not difficult. To install the new rubber one's you'll need a bushing install tool.

You really need to check the snubber bushing its in front of the differential they dry rot.
The snubber bushing attaches the trans crossmenber to the diff with a rubber bushing.

I agree, check the front differential bushing just to make sure. If you can feel the entire arm moving back/forth then yes, the front trailing arm bushing is most likely history... inspect the rest of the arms including the welds... might not be a bad idea to get two new arms with the front bushings already installed... did you ever check your wheel bearings ? It's going to be expensive but it might be time for a major overhaul "back there"......

Yeah I'm still on the forums.:yahoo:

check all the rubber bushings and mounts, like the guys said you may be in for a good replacement now.

The start up/stop noise is the snubber a lot of times. Look for oil leaking on it from the pinion seal. They dry rot and rip over time as well.

The T/A bushings also dry rot and yes the arm has to come out to replace. I use only rubber in the T/A but others like the poly.

This is the type of thing that leads from one to another on an untouched 35 year old car.

Look it all over good and see what you find.

Btw theres a access hole on the frame below the T/A so you can poke a flat head in there to knock up the shims. didnt notice it untill i got one side done and it make a big difference if you can get the shims out first.

Had the same sound from the rear.
Changed out my entire suspension.
I inspected pieces as they came off the car and found
the center bushing to be in the worst condition.

Mono spring front and rear now.
She handles just fine. :cool:

ya my leaf spring bushing was mangeled lol. Your best bet would be to replace all the bushings but be prepared to replace more than you expected. I was just going to change my bushings last week and now it seems like the only things i'm salvaging are the T/A and diff. crossmember haha.

Yeh, after 15 years I have a mysterious clunk in my rear too, tried all the simple shit, car is getting looser in the ass too....needs strut bushings, would just as soon use rubber, but they are VBP struts....have a new set of bushings already....Wait till fall, cooler weather....no worry, no hurry.....:harhar: