Trailing arm

I ordered new ones today. i was just going to cut the old ones out at the bushing then knock out the tips. If everything goes to plane it should be painted and installed mid next week. Also what do you guys use for diff. lube?

Ya know they make a tool to knock them out. I made my own with a piece of 1" round steel and threaded it with the same tap size as the mount. Screw it on until it bottom out on the thread and whack it with a small sled hammer. Back it out and whack it again. It will work.

Danny

i got the mounts out, me and my buddy endd up torching the bushings out the sawzalled the two sides off. it was much faster in the end and sence there being replaced i wasnt too concerned about saveing them. i was going to replace the bearing but soon found out that the PO had welded the castle nut onto the spendle so were kinda stumped on how to approuch this. i may just wait untill i can get spindle and hub before i about this.

i got everything taken apart except for one trailing arm. When the PO used a torch to melt the castle nut on the spindle he managed to ruin the integrity of the T/A so now i need to get both. The other side is painted and next is the diff. cross-member. What a p.i.t.a to get these apart.

Last edited:
i just dont understand how people can bring themselves to do this to thier vette. If your going to do a job do it right, why mangle the system so theres unbearable work to do later? There's evidence that bubbas been all over this car and really didnt know what he was doin. You should see the engine bay, it gives me heart compultations just thinking about it.

i just dont understand how people can bring themselves to do this to thier vette. If your going to do a job do it right, why mangle the system so theres unbearable work to do later? There's evidence that bubbas been all over this car and really didnt know what he was doin. You should see the engine bay, it gives me heart compultations just thinking about it.

In your case it was probably someone who either stripped the threads or found the stripped... they welded the castle nut and most likely got rid off the car shortly after that...

I've done it once because with the threads stripped the spindle was junk anyways and I needed the car to be somewhat driveable at the time. I used a huge C-clamp to somewhat "simulate" the torque and then welded the nut... was supposed to be a temporary fix.... but my weld seems to be pretty good since I still have not replaced the trailing arms and I welded that nut back in 2004.... I have two complete trailing arm assemblies ready for the swap, I just have to find the time to do it...:clobbered: