transmission to radiator hose(s)

keywestjack

does anyone know the size of the hoses that go from the transmission cooling lines to the radiator. Mine seem loose and really have to crank on the clamp. I am not comfortable doing that. Thanks Jack

Last edited:
I am thinking about replacing the hard line and rubber hoses with braided lines. It may eliminate future problems and be cleaner. Any thoughts?

The hard line(s) rarely, if ever fail. The rubber hose will, and I've seen guys grab a handy piece of rubber line and replace them. Problem is that most of the rubber line is not rated for high temperature oil. They fail and pump the trans fluid out in a very quick fashion. Make sure you use hose that is marked "TRANS COOLER". Braided lines are not a bad option, but again, make sure the lines are compatible with the intended use. There is a bucket full of different type hose, all very neatly wrapped in a stainless steel braid. You just can't tell if it's any good.

Mine,'73 SBC w/ TH400, are 5/16 hard lines flared up to use 3/8 hoses for connection to the radiator cooler. Use trans rated hose, a lot more expensive than fuel hose. It's higher temp rated.

IF there is ever any kind of question about hoses for any use what so EVER, I go to a industrial hose company about 3 miles from me, Hosepower, they do hoses for anything, and got my dinky little uses covered like a blanket, they can make up anything right on the spot.....:crutches::friends: