V8 conversion has started on my 1997 camaro

Here is one major difference between the 3.8 ABS module and the 5.7

The wires that feed these come from the underhood body harness so all of that will be changed as well.

I am finding most 3.8/3.4 to LT1 swap websites miss a lot of differences that I am finding. But that might be due to they didn't do cars with ASR and traction control.

the 3.8 doesn't have traction control it uses a switch to simply upshift the trans to second gear, work pretty good.

One thing I do hate about the z28 is that the ASR system defaults to on when the car is started and the switch is used to turn it off. I have heard of kits the alter this to make it default off.

IMG_20130916_084233_964_zps425fbe3d.jpg

Last edited:
The 3.8 rearend is almost ready to come out, just six bolts holding it in now. After rears are swapped then interior go back in and engine swap will start.

Shame you don't live in OP Florida, Ricky around the corner could put a NICE sounding exhaust setup on that car......dual Maggys X or + over pipe, and headers....

:harhar::trumpet:

Shame you don't live in OP Florida, Ricky around the corner could put a NICE sounding exhaust setup on that car......dual Maggys X or + over pipe, and headers....

Then the smogman no like me

Yeh, I know, but no smogman here in FLORIDA.....snicker....:drink:

He will cometh, all states follow california's lead sooner or later.

NO HE WON"T, not in my lifetime anyway.....some 20 years ago, they had smog checks, but this state has so much airflow, they never found any reason for it in the air samples.....not that there EVER WAS one anyway....

so the state of Florida told the smog nazi's to go screw themselves....and we been free for long time now.....

:drink::hijack:

Then the smogman no like me

Yeh, I know, but no smogman here in FLORIDA.....snicker....:drink:

He will cometh, all states follow california's lead sooner or later.

NO HE WON"T, not in my lifetime anyway.....some 20 years ago, they had smog checks, but this state has so much airflow, they never found any reason for it in the air samples.....not that there EVER WAS one anyway....

so the state of Florida told the smog nazi's to go screw themselves....and we been free for long time now.....

:drink::hijack:

Its not about air quality it's about money. Huge revenue for smog checks, that will sooner or later make all states do it.

LT1 being dropped

20130921_110413_zpsadb45e10.jpg

20130921_110338_zpsf5bd112a.jpg

20130921_110402_zps343d11b8.jpg

LT1 is out, going to be steam cleaning it all as well. Next I have to remove the 4 channel brake lines, heat shields, wiring, heater core pipes. Then the 3.8 is up to bat.

20130921_120108_zps1bfa55a2.jpg

20130921_120122_zps407ba7f2.jpg

20130921_120131_zps64fd1b88.jpg

20130921_121917_zps552876fe.jpg

It is definitely a 350

20130921_121936_zps031e9ac0.jpg

Camaro prepped for LT1 to go in.

20130922_120830_zps569ebf3e.jpg

LT1 is now in the camaro, I still have a lot of odds and ends to do before this conversion is done. I do have the entire z28 harness in my camaro so the ASR will function and all. But for now the hardest part of this conversion is done.

20130922_141702_zps6a18bffe.jpg

20130922_141717_zpscb83a787.jpg

Jeff, I maybe confused by your pix there, but it looks as if you have 4 mounting points on the engine, as opposed to just two, diagonally opposite each other, one front, one rear....which is all I have ever done, even with trans in back....

not that I will ever do that again.....

what gives???

:confused::drink:

Jeff, I maybe confused by your pix there, but it looks as if you have 4 mounting points on the engine, as opposed to just two, diagonally opposite each other, one front, one rear....which is all I have ever done, even with trans in back....

what gives???

what do you mean?

what gives???

Okay, I think I know where your confusion is. by the chains right? A 4th gen fbody doesn't have it's engine done conventionally through the hood. You bring the entire motor, k-member,front suspension, trans, exhaust as a unit through the bottom.

so what you see in the last picture it the engine hoist lifting the body of the car as motor assembly was slid under.

So what you see in this picture is how it went back in my camaro as a complete assembly.

nothing was removed in this picture before the engine went into my camaro.

20130921_120122_zps407ba7f2.jpg

Everything but the fuel lines are hooked up on the z28 now, a/c system has been evacuated and has held vacuum for over a hour with no changes so it will be ready to be charged when car is running.

few days away from it running again though

IMG_20130926_155107_512_zps549feaf7.jpg