Values of Torque Plate Honing

CNC BLOCKS

This a perfect example of why plate honing is a m must along with using a good hone.

This engine is a 604 GM crate circle track engine I think this block was honed once as the bores were 4.0015 Had an old time racer 78 years old that raced for many years witness this and was amazed.

This class can only go with a custom .005 over piston made by Mahle, After bolting the plate on and making a couple of strokes with the 412 stones it was clear that there was a reason the ring land between the 1st and 2and ring shows signs of carbon or poor ring seal.

IMG_2713_zpsd0f9213d.jpg

IMG_2707_zps8fc31bac.jpg

You wouldn't see as much distortion with a Bowtie, Dart or World block, But I will say the getting close or at max bore on one these block you will see distortion. It does make a difference studs VS bolts.

in order to insure that you get some type of consistent ring seal it must be done. i have always advocated studs for cylinder heads and the same used on the plates.
people say you can't use them and remove them in the car and i call B.S on that. ARP makes studs with a broached end making removal simple. and even without you can double nut them and remove them.
excellent example thanks for posting.

Most arp atuds have an allen hex in the top

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk