Valve cover spacers

ZekesGarage

I've just finished up the top-end rebuild of my '69 427, and during the initial start-up, found that the Pro-comp roller tipped rockers are lightly hitting the underside of my valve covers. I am using aluminum M/T covers I got off ebay, so I'm not sure of the specs, but they are a bit taller than stock. I need maybe 1/8" more clearance I believe.

I'm seeing taller gaskets for sale from Summit, and those seem like an easy option, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Shawn

FelPro at the local parts shack makes nice thicker gaskets....no need to wait...

:trumpet:

Thicker and wider..

That sounds too easy... I wouldn't have even thought that my local place might have some. I might drive this weekend after all.

Thanks

Shawn

Double thik gaskets are definately the cheepest option. I remember taking two cork gaskets and putting a bead of RTV between them in the good old days (before I had any money). I think the best solution is two use two gaskets with an aluminum spacer in the middle. Gives you 4 mating surfaces that could potentially leak but I've not had any trouble with mine. As I recall the spacer is 1/4 inch thick. They're kind of pricey for what they are, but they never wear out and you can keep using them regardless of how many gaskets you go through.

I've run double gaskets on several big blocks with no problems.

Lars

I'd rather glue two gaskets together than using a spacer. Cheaper and less mating surfaces and less potential leaks.... now, if you need an additional half inch you're better off using a spacer :D

They keep messing with the composition of gaskets, I just did a nice clean RTV install on the VCs' in the camper truck 350.....the new FelPros I got were listed as 'rubber', but in fact IF it's rubber, it's like a rubber empregnated into cardboard/some fiber....rather hard, but with my favorite RTV, hopefully no leaks,:hissyfit: I refuse to use cork anymore, home of the leak....I have had better luck with just RTV on a tranny pan than messing with cork there....let it cure overnight, and i'ts home free....