water pump

brngrhd

What water pump is everyone using? manual or electric? do our cars take shorts or longs?

I am just using a stock manual pump,but i want to install an electric pump in the future.

I am just using a stock manual pump,but i want to install an electric pump in the future.

You must be tired of cranking that manual pump by hand.

Yea the spring is wearing out on it and i have to wind it up more often now,and there is nothing worse than being in the middle of a race and you have to pull over to rewind your water pump :hissyfit: it gets embarrassing :mad:

so if i want to run a belt driven pump i need to match it with the rest of my combo as far as length if the alternator is set up for a short pump and other pullies are set up for a short pump then run a short pump right.....

now for the life long debate electric VS engine driven ready......... and go LOL

the one thing about pumps is i want something that will live on the street but really like the idea, coming from a truck pulling back round, of being albe to cool it down between runs at the track.

I really like my electric pump. Even on a day last summer when it was 108* here the engine temp. never got over 210*. It does run warmer on the highway just because the electric ones don't flow as much as a stock one at higher RPMs. What I like most is when I get into traffic, the engine cools down about 20-30 degrees due to the constant 35GPM flow. It's all a matter of personal preference.

so if i want to run a belt driven pump i need to match it with the rest of my combo as far as length if the alternator is set up for a short pump and other pullies are set up for a short pump then run a short pump right.....

All Vettes use short pumps - no Vette ever built with a long pump.

All Vettes use short pumps - no Vette ever built with a long pump.

I never had a issue with it, but that don't mean crap....question IS....is there a super short pump that somehow alines up closer to the block than even the more common 'short' pump....I would think it has to be a pully difference as it's about on the cover already....on my '89 truck block/'88 vette serp setup anyway.....

just for the knowing....

:twitch:

There are long pumps ... afaik no sbc vette used them.

There are std short pumps ... afaik all early sbc vettes used them as did other cars/trucks.

Then, about 1970-1971 ... afaik all sbc vettes began to use a "vette pump" ... it's essentially a short pump BUT its hub is moved forward about 3/16" ... so vette pump's about 3/16" longer than a std short pump. There was also a diff in pilot shaft diam ... trying to recall but think about same time sbc vette increased pilot OD from 5/8" to 3/4".

Lotsa folks who put a std short pump on a later sbc C3 find OE vette belts-pulleys-brackets don't align like they once did ... that their water pump pulley is a bit too close to motor.

Then, C4 began using another version of short pump but with aluminum housing ... I dunno its year or length dimension but seem to recall its lower hose inlet OD is only about 1 1/2" when contrasted with others' typical 1 3/4".

please clarify/correct above where needed

There are long pumps ... afaik no sbc vette used them.

There are std short pumps ... afaik all early sbc vettes used them as did other cars/trucks.

Then, about 1970-1971 ... afaik all sbc vettes began to use a "vette pump" ... it's essentially a short pump BUT its hub is moved forward about 3/16" ... so vette pump's about 3/16" longer than a std short pump. There was also a diff in pilot shaft diam ... trying to recall but think about same time sbc vette increased pilot OD from 5/8" to 3/4".

Lotsa folks who put a std short pump on a later sbc C3 find OE vette belts-pulleys-brackets don't align like they once did ... that their water pump pulley is a bit too close to motor.

Then, C4 began using another version of short pump but with aluminum housing ... I dunno its year or length dimension but seem to recall its lower hose inlet OD is only about 1 1/2" when contrasted with others' typical 1 3/4".

please clarify/correct above where needed

thanks but i run a big block