Weight loss for C3's

Nice to see I did quite a bit of weight saving already. Switching to fixed headlights also seems to be a good weight-saver.
OH Christ YES, I was shocked to feel the weight of those assys...had to be pushing 50 lbs each side....lotsa steel in there, and all that mechanism crap.....

:bomb::stirpot::crutches:

I always thought that an even weight distribution was even more important.

I would first turn my eyes towards the weight that is very far in the nose and rear like the bumperbars of the +73 models. You could make them in carbonfiber.

I still think the best way for weight loss on ANY car is.....

Hydrogen filled baloons in any available location, not only will it weigh less, but we can use the extra fuel to go faster.....

no??

:trumpet::stirpot::devil::D

OH Christ YES, I was shocked to feel the weight of those assys...had to be pushing 50 lbs each side....lotsa steel in there, and all that mechanism crap.....

:bomb::stirpot::crutches:

A complete headlight ass'y with actators, frame, door, bezel and lamps is 17lbs.

A complete headlight ass'y with actators, frame, door, bezel and lamps is 17lbs.

Good information. Intuitively i've always thought that. And you have to replace the system with something that weighs at least 1/2 as much.

I don't think the weight savings is worth changing the fundamental clean smooth look of the car, not to mention all the effort involved.

Last edited:

fail to beleive it's that light....U serious?? or is that the differance in weight from stock to say a eckler's sugar scoop??

I might beleive a weight SAVINGS per side....:fishing:

I weighted those once, they were around 8kg completely assembled with all the trim and stuff.

I weighted those once, they were around 8kg completely assembled with all the trim and stuff.

What year car those out of, that you all weighed??

I can' beleive it's that light, as I remember tearing out the wreckage after that damn deer in '98 down here....and sticking it in a empty drywall bucket, and being impressed with the weight of them upon lifting the buckets....

I guess at about 40 lbs/side minimum.....

as I recall, a 5 gallon bucket of sheetrock mud is 60lbs....not all THAT much differant....

When I take my headlights out I will let everybody know.

I still think the best way for weight loss on ANY car is.....

Hydrogen filled baloons in any available location, not only will it weigh less, but we can use the extra fuel to go faster.....

no??

:trumpet::stirpot::devil::D

No...

nuke.jpg

I need to get mine under 3000 in race trim with a cage

I'll be loosing quite a few items for weight loss

I don't have a scale though

I need to get mine under 3000 in race trim with a cage

I'll be loosing quite a few items for weight loss

I don't have a scale though

man a full cage has gotta add quite a bit. I was amazed at how much the stock seats weighed. I wrote down the weight of the C5 seats for comparison, but I'll have to look for it...

As was mentioned earlier, probably is best to remove the weight from the extremities. So those 10 lbs you save on headlights might make as much difference as the 30 lbs you save on seats. Same goes for removing from the highest points to reduce roll. Yet another benefit of alumium heads.

Sadistic, I like the fact that you've gone to all that effort to cut weight but kept the chrome bumpers. IMO that's what makes those cars really stand out. If I ever get into racing I don't think I'll shed the bumpers either :thumbs:

aluminum master cylinder - minus 5 pounds
brake system (includes titanium rotors, aluminum calipers) - minus about 100 pounds (these are not on the car yet but will be soon)

Could you state where you got your titanium rotors and I assume aluminum hubs? Is the aluminum master cylinder from SSBC?

Also, what about getting rid of that large iron casting that connects the steering column to the bottom of the windshield frame. It's really gross. Also it's high above the center of gravity of the car to make it worse.

Seems like someone could fabricate some aluminum plates and weld/bolt them together to make a functional replacement.