Who's Using VOIP For Home Phone Service?

DC3

Been thinking about making the switch to VOIP for my home phone. Anyone here using it? What company are you using and how do you like the service?

Vonage and some of the big boys aren't really much cheaper than my local provider but some others are way less expensive and might be perfect for my limited use.

Anyone know anything about or have any experience with these providers?

Voipo
Phone.com
Ooma
ITP

Thanks,

DC

I had Brighthouse home phone, then I realized that I don't need a home phone so now it's cellphone only ....

I hear that MagicJack is pretty good and only 20 bux a year.....

I am using Skype for years and i like it a lot, mostly for intl calls though.

Last edited:
My wife is a book keeper for several small businesses around town, and as such, she can be on the phone forever with clients, much less doing their computer entries from over the net...

so we use Magic Jack and if I going to call any large company with a forever calling tree to tie my Kangaroo down, I use it on my machine....

land line been dead here for well over 6 years.....

Quick Draw McGraw here, I carry my pocket communicator here on my hip....

:crutches::friends:

We are bundled up with COX...been thinking of droping it though for the cell phones..??

I talked to a guy with Magic Jack and he said its connected to his computer which has to be on 24/7 for it to work. I don't like that aspect of it.

DC

I talked to a guy with Magic Jack and he said its connected to his computer which has to be on 24/7 for it to work. I don't like that aspect of it.

DC

Magic Jack has a new trick so that is no longer necessary....

and besides, if you not home, do you really NEED an answering machine??

for 20/YEAR you got unlimited LD, and time....and you don't burn up your cell minits talking to idiots....as mentioned B-4.....

I use vonage because they offer unlimited to Germany (and 59+ other country's) and all long distance in the states. Many countries you can also call a cell with out more charges. 26 bux a month.:thumbs:

I have an older version of the magic jack that uses my computer. The jack cost $19.95. I got 5 years of phone service for another $70.00. It is not perfect, it can be a little glitchy but it works well enough for me to get by with. Even cell phones have choppy/glitchy sound sometimes so I guess it is about the same in quality. For the amount of money that Comcast and Verizon want for a phone line, and considering that their service is pretty poor nowadays, I have to say that the magic jack is a bargain and very reliable too.

My .02 :thankyou:

Checked into MagicJack a little further. They do have a new device for around $40 that doesn't require a computer. Service could be an issue. No phone support, no email support. Chat only. After waiting 30 minutes for a chat session, I gave up.

Even the higher priced services are so much cheaper than my current bill. With Ooma you buy a device for around $200 for lifetime phone service with no other charges except for taxes and fees of about $3.50 per month. Even at that price, I break even inside of 8 months.

Ooma has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon. Magicjack rates only 3. Guessing you get what you pay for.

Anyone using Ooma?

Still researching and debating whether I really need or want local phone service. Decisions, decisions.

DC

Anyone with any experience calling the Philippines??? my neighbor's wife is from there and all the time calling her family, chatting up a bill with ATT, he claims there is no other choice because of some deal with ATT over there, I say bullshit, there IS a way around it, he claims not....

:crutches::chinese:

Anyone with any experience calling the Philippines???

No experience here but I remember reading an article awhile back. It talked about people in the Philippines being able to get a voip based U.S. phone number which would then allow someone in the U.S. to call them with a VOIP based service. Can't find the article and don't recall any names of companies. I have to believe there is a way to pull this off.

DC

I ended up going with Ooma. Bought the Telo device on Amazon for $193. No additional charges first year. 2nd year on, taxes & fees only - about $42 per year they say. Ooma received much better reviews than did Magic Jack, especially on voice quality. I never could get MJ to answer any of my questions. Their loss.

I could port my existing number for an extra $40 fee but I think I'll just keep the number they assigned to me and call it good.

Voice quality is excellent so far, and they have a cool internet dashboard where I can check call logs, listen to voice mail, etc.

As long as Ooma stays in business for 7 more months, I break even.

One caution for anyone going with Ooma: They give you a free 60 day trial of their Premier service but if you pay attention to their web page during activation, they say they will automatically enroll you permanently and start charging your credit card as soon as the trial period ends. You can, however, log into your account immediately and cancel the automatic enrollment - which I did as I have no need for their premium services.

DC

Last edited: