wider front flares

So if I understand what i've been reading:
ZL1 front flare is 1"
L88 front flare is 2"
the rears are both the same @ 4"
Contrary to what i would have thought, you cannot take a set of rear flairs and flip them to the opposite front corner and have it look OK.
Is that right so far?

From what i see on tim's car, you could fit a 305/12" (max) tire in front? What's the max rear? 335/13.5"

steve

So if I understand what i've been reading:
ZL1 front flare is 1"
L88 front flare is 2"
the rears are both the same @ 4"
Contrary to what i would have thought, you cannot take a set of rear flairs and flip them to the opposite front corner and have it look OK.
Is that right so far?

From what i see on tim's car, you could fit a 305/12" (max) tire in front? What's the max rear? 335/13.5"

steve

personally I think the ZL-1 flare is the concoction of Ralph Eckler for use on cars with the factory mudflap (70 or 71 and up?)......there is a GM part number for the four individual L-88 flares (thats flare only not most of the fender like Eckler and most others sold) but I have never seen a GM part number for the ZL-1 flare....has anyone?
redvetracr

Yep, the ZL-1 flare is a figment of imagination. I've got a Chevy Special Parts catalog from 69-70- the ONLY flares listed are L-88's. I suspect it's something that Eckler's or someone came up with to further confuse the issue- and to sell more parts.

Sadistic- I agree- I need more wheel/tire on the rear. I was being careful to not "overdo" and end up with a set of tires/wheels that I couldn't use. So I went on the safe side. Now I know what the measurements are and I'll get around to stepping up.

Long as we talking flares, on chrome sharks vs the later rubber sharks, especially '78 up.....is there a differance in the width of the fender flares???

I think there is....but I only see one at a time up against my '72 custom here...which has had wider flares on it at one time....wider than now, which are about the same as '78 up...but wider than another stock '72 here....

anyone have similar observations or hard specs???

:shocking:

Long as we talking flares, on chrome sharks vs the later rubber sharks, especially '78 up.....is there a differance in the width of the fender flares???

I think there is....but I only see one at a time up against my '72 custom here...which has had wider flares on it at one time....wider than now, which are about the same as '78 up...but wider than another stock '72 here....

anyone have similar observations or hard specs???

:shocking:

Check out the Crash manual (STICKYS)......... I would consider this to be hard evidence.

Rear Quarter Panels.
'68-'69 carry the same part number.......'69 has an exception IF it had side exhaust ( would not have cut outs in rear )
'70-'73 have different number due to side marker lamp.
'74-'82 ALL carry the same number meaning the part is the same.

Further evidence call Eckler's they now own all the original GM molds.

Here's some wider flares, these were hand laid. They're probably not to everyones liking.

2yk029k.jpg

What flares are those? Those are some healthy meats. They must be right around the same size as the 325/35/16s I have. Mine don't fit the flares, can't even turn the wheels:

2481b851e65c76.jpg

oops, no flares in that pic...rats...where's the pic w/ the zl flares...daaayyyummmm

I called Hoosier when I was trying to figure out what size wheel/tire I could use. Left the guy a message and he never bothered to call back. Be happy you got a live answer. I'd have been thrilled with email. But nothing at all. (Maybe why I'm running Goodyear tires?)