Worn roller cam lobes???

since you (probably) don't want to re-do this and change the cam/lifters again at some time in the near future....... I'd trash the lifters, even if it's just piece of mind... did you change the oil and filter ???

since you (probably) don't want to re-do this and change the cam/lifters again at some time in the near future....... I'd trash the lifters, even if it's just piece of mind... did you change the oil and filter ???

O&F are obvious, even though the WIX filter and oil are not even 2k old, from last springtime....and clean looking....methinks this is a longer term problem, not a cat ASS trophic failure...because the engine has run the same for some time now...honestly I think it's just shitty cam material.....

:hissyfit:

Looking back at the first set of pics Marck posted, are the journals worn too? Maybe a top end lubrication issue? Granted, being roller, you really shouldn't need much more than the oil mist from the engine, but that's all I have.

In my humble opinion i agree with Marck. I don't think its a steel core either. Most damage on steel core roller cams is from a lifter bouncing on it.

This looks like a hardened cam that went through the case hardening. If the followers have steel rolls and they are harder than the hardening than this is the end result imo. Something like the rear side yokes in our diff that wear.

Exactly, Gene still didn't answer if he bought it new or used. I have a feeing this is one of the very 1st TPIS cams, from back in the 80s...around 88 or so.

Exactly, Gene still didn't answer if he bought it new or used. I have a feeing this is one of the very 1st TPIS cams, from back in the 80s...around 88 or so.

I bought it new man, sent the cataloge pix with the spec sheet next to it.....cam card and everything....spent like high bux on it....:hissyfit:

Looking back at the first set of pics Marck posted, are the journals worn too? Maybe a top end lubrication issue? Granted, being roller, you really shouldn't need much more than the oil mist from the engine, but that's all I have.

That's what I thought also when looking at the pix. Hard to tell but they look worn out.

Well, it's a good thing you found it and you're getting this thing out of there but the worn lobes shouldn't affect mileage ?? How many mpg do you think you'll get with the new cam ? What's the specs on that one compared to the one you removed ??

Stock 87 Camaro L98 cam, a milder cam than the zz9.

GM Stock Cams
Model Number .05" Duration 1.5:1 Lift 1.6:1 Lift Lobe Sep. Notes
14093643 202/207 .404/.415 .431/.443 114.5 87 350,305man <---- this one
10088155 179/194 .350/.384 .373/.410 109deg 87 305 auto
10066049 207/213 .415/.430 .443/.459 117deg 88-89 350,305
10111773 202/207 .413/.428 .441/.457 114.5 90-92 350,305

That's low duration and very low lift with 1.5 rockers - do you have 1.5 or 1.6 rockers? ..... I hope the mileage increase makes it worthwhile.

Late '97 when I built this engine.....or had the lower end built, anyway....

I have been very careful to get the spring heights built right for all the heads that have been on it....not aware of any spring binding issues.....never a broken spring....and yes the scratched on ZZ9 in front is kinda strange....but I bought it straight from TPIS.....Just disappointing that the thing is trash, and so to let guys know....

:crap::hissyfit::clobbered::censored:

That's low duration and very low lift with 1.5 rockers - do you have 1.5 or 1.6 rockers? ..... I hope the mileage increase makes it worthwhile.

1.5 on the roller rockers, they are the cheep type, but been on every set of heads and never any issues...I did go after the MPG thing, but now happy I found the troubles brewing before it seriously went wipe on me.....

:clobbered:

Last edited:

That's what I thought also when looking at the pix. Hard to tell but they look worn out.

NO, the journals are fine, they show maybe some very minor lines from wear, but nothing like the lobes.....the ramps of all the lobes are like almost rust pitted but it's so slight as to be not noticed, just those 6 lobes that are messed up and the ramps are worse for the wear....

why do I get all the weird off the wall shit happening to me?? :hissyfit::clobbered::crylol:

GENE, based on everything you've said so far, I would contact TPIS. I wouldn't expect them to warranty it or anything, but I think I'm leaning to where Marck is going. Even though you bought that directly from TPIS the marking looks awfully suspicious. Just out of curiosity, maybe see if they have some insight.

GENE, based on everything you've said so far, I would contact TPIS. I wouldn't expect them to warranty it or anything, but I think I'm leaning to where Marck is going. Even though you bought that directly from TPIS the marking looks awfully suspicious. Just out of curiosity, maybe see if they have some insight.

Eh, I call maybe next week, doubtful anything will happen, and certainly they deny it all to the end.....

if it wasn't for cphone or Magic Jack.....wouldn't bother at all.....

just pisses me off, that's all.....every God Damn thing bought these days is junk....everything.....

been better off sourcing some OEM cam locally....

:hissyfit::crap:

GENE, I wouldn't ask them to do anything, you do have over a decade on the cam. I would just ask them if they have any insight on the reason for the failure and maybe hint around to verify it is actually one of their cams and wasn't some kind of unauthorized swap.
Me personally, I would just be concerned that the fault started and ended with the cam and that there is not some underlying problem that will eat a replacement.

just pisses me off, that's all.....every God Damn thing bought these days is junk....everything.....

You want things to last? Reusable? Gene, your a green weenie at heart.:photo:

Just the OPPOSITE, Jeff, I prefer we make our own crap in our own 'dirty' MANUFACTURING plants for a change and a few JOBS that we can live almost 2x than 100 years ago for smelling mule farts behind a plow....

but so we can save a smelly darter fish we ship our JOBS, durability of product QC of product, and TAX advantages given to major hustlers to move OUR jobs to China/etc.....while some offshore maggot gets the shipping fees.....right, yeh sure.....

and guess who/what party/movement put all this crap in place???

:crap: