C4: "Ten Times The Torque....Take TWO!" AKA, "Hot '80's intakes Test"....

Tom400CFI

C4 owners....you're getting it all here, first, on VetteMod!

I'm sure that every C4 owner has seen the famous "Ten Times the Torque" article, done by Richard Holdner (see attachment). He did a VIDEO RECAP of the article a few years ago on his YT channel. Freiburger did a similar test also, I believe, in the '90's. These test/articles became fodder for all of us, and established a hierachy of available intake options for TPI and how each/all of them ranked. None of us know squat back then, EFI was rather new, tuning was not readily available....so ALL of us wanted to know which of these new-fangled EFI intakes really worked on a TPI car. These articles shed some much needed light on the matter and became the "holy grail" of TPI intake info. The only problem was...all of the available test then, up through now, were done on "500 hp" motors. Holdner had planned on doing the test on a medium 350, but that engine blew before testing began (I have read), and they had to shift to using a fairly radical 383 to test the intakes on. Freiburger's test used a similar 383. The data is good, but it's probably not aligned with what most C4 owners have when they buy an intake, and it's certainly not the motor most of us had in the '90's when we were in early stages of learning EFI, intakes and mods....all w/basically no tuning. Maybe a Vortech FMU! :LOL:

With this in mind, and a stock L98 at my disposal (in my '89 "Vette Kart"), I embarked on some dyno testing which has evolved into essentially re-testing most of the intakes from "10x the tork"...but doing it on a stock engine. At the onset of the testing, I expected gains from all of the intakes over stock. I expected the order of "winners" to be different than on the old big-engine tests....I expected my testing to favor the lower performing intakes from the original tests.

Hot 80s Intakes!.jpg

Hot 80s intakes rear.jpg

The test mule:

Kart.jpg

The car (Kart) is...was an '89 Corvette, Z51, 6 speed. The engine was bone-box stock except for the following:
True dual exhaust, no cats, bullet muffs
Under drive pulleys
No air filter
160 stat
It was in that configuration for all intakes/tests, and base timing and fuel pressure were adjusted to optimize results for each intake. ECM/"Tune" was not touched for any intake. This was simply an intake R&R and fuel pressure and timing adjustments....pretty much like we'd all have done back in the day.
All pulls were done on the same chassis dyno, I requested all pulls start "at idle", or ~500 RPM so we could see the WHOLE tq curve. I hate pulls that start at 4000 RPM...what is that? Anyway, due to the coordination of the dyno op running the car, the dyno etc. none of the pulls actually "hit" until about 12-1500 RPM, so that is what you'll see in the graphs, but they DO give a darn good look at "low end torque" for each intake. I hade the op shut it down "before 6000 RPM" on all test because there were zero intakes that would make any power that high, on this stock engine. No point.

With all of that covered.....how'd they all do?

Attachments

Last edited:
The first test...and not surprisingly, the lowest performing intake, was the stock unit. The small diameter runners hurt even a stock 350. Still, this ~160k mile, poorly maintained dog did impress on it's first trip to the dyno.

Stock TPI.png

241RQHP @4200 and 342 RWTQ at (no surprise) 3280 RPM.
I found that to be quite stout for RWHP&TQ numbers that matched the original engine crank rating. Torque peaked right on schedule at just above 3200 RPM. The engine was making about 280 lb-ft from the start of the pull, about 1200 RPM, I think it's fair to say that it was doing ~300 crank tq from the start of the pull. Not really "sports car" stuff here....GM should have stuffed these into the '88^ GMT400 trucks.

Last edited:
In the original 10x the tork" article, the TPIS Mini Ram smoked 'em all, with 505 hp on Holdner's 383. As mentioned in post 1, I assumed the order of output would be changed up on a stock engine and sure enough, the Mini Ram performed the worst of all the aftermarket intakes, bettering ONLY the stock TPI by 17 hp. The Mini Ram made less torque everywhere until ~4200 RPM, and only then started to exceed the tq of the stock intake...although at that point, both intakes' tq output was dropping anyway. The Mini Ram did hold on and raise peak power to around 5000 RPM and carry decent power to about 5500 or so.

Mini Ram.jpg

258 RWHP @ 4920 RPM and 321 RWTQ @ 3550 RPM.
It's not surprising that the intake with the shortest and biggest runners didn't perform well among it's peers, on a stock motor with mild cam, smaller displacement and weeny heads. I expected it to pull a little more RPM, but it wouldn't do it. Another interesting thing is that I've ready many-a-time on "the forums" that "an L98 with a Mini Ram is the same (power) as an LT1". No, it's not. Not even close. My own LT1, which is bone, box stock make 279 RWHP, so no, an L98 with a Mini Ram is most definitely NOT an LT1 or in LT1 territory. Even with the benefit of good dual exhaust.
Still, a 17 hp increase from a simple R&R of an intake....that's not bad. It's an easy intake to install/own and it's one of the more affordable intakes, as well. This intake did require a significant increase in fuel pressure to get a reasonable A/F ratio and still, it's pretty lean as you can see in the graph.

MR.jpg

Dyno Kart.jpg

Last edited:
Next in line? After seeing how the Mini Ram did in this test as compared to Holdner's 383 test, it's not surprising that the second best intake in his test, was the second worst of the aftermarket intakes, in my test. Next up was the Holley Stealth Ram, AKA Wiand Stealth Ram. This intake was, like the Mini Ram, easy to install and affordable. Unfortunately it will not fit under the hood of a C4 Corvette w/o modifications or a cowl hood, which complicates "easy to install".

HSR New.jpg

HSR Install.jpg

20241007_101107.jpg

Anyway, after some fuel tinkering, here is how the HSR looked on the rollers....

273 RWHP @4970 RPM and 343 RWTQ @ 3600 RPM.
Now we're getting somewhere! This is a very solid, 32 hp gain over the stock intake....R&R only. I paid $300 for this intake and $100 for the rails/regulator. 32 hp for $400 bucks is some pretty fantastic bang for the buck. The Tq basically matched the stock intake, peak for peak and was 20 over the Mini Ram, and it was making ~310 ft lbs at only 1200 RPM. The HSR also carried power out about as well as the Mini Ram, peaking just about 5000 RPM, and still making about the same power at 5500 as the Mini Ram did at it's 5000 RPM peak. This intake was a huge improvement over stock and a big improvement over the Mini Ram, for about the same money and effort. (Corvette hood, not included in that last comment!)

Last edited:
Reactions: rtj
I remember the Accel SuperRam being pretty popular back in the 90's until the LT1 took off. Looking forward to see what it actually does on a stock L98. Thank you for sharing this with us. :-)

Latest posts

Back