Pittsburgh Parts-a-Rama

Geoff Coenen

In 1977 we drove from Connecticut on Route 80 across Pennsylvania to south of Pittsburgh – (are we there yet) to the 1st Annual Pittsburg Parts-a-Rama. This was around the beginning of the East Coast large old car part swap meets. At that time I only had Corvette parts from boned out wrecked Corvettes. It wasn’t until 1979 we began making our first repro parts.

In the old 35 mm photo below are my old Chevy van, 63-67 dash pads, a left rear fender, a 58-60 trunk lid and Al Knoch. It was in June and hot as usual. That’s me on the left and Al on the right. If I recall correctly Al had purchased all my Corvette seat frames. I had lots more hair back then and Al had long hair and a beard. He looked like a Biblical figure and I referred to this as his Jesus Christ phase. Al has a good sense of humor.

The reason for all this blather is that the Pittsburg Parts-a-Rama is held at the Butler County Fair Grounds. It’s a typical county fair grounds with metal buildings and barns. On Newsmax I was watching Trumps political rally this past week when he was almost assassinated at that location. That shock made me recall the good times we had at that now infamous place. I’m not a raving proselytizing Christian, but as is my habit I continue to pray every night as I fall asleep.

swap-pittsburg-1 copy.JPG

Reactions: rtj
I loved those old swap meets also - attended over 500. The net and ebait certainly dampened their value. The expenses for lodging and gas got excessive. At one time I could fly to Pomona CA for $99 buy pristine old Vette parts and ship of carry them back. No large restrictions on the airlines then for baggage. Got many pristine parts for repro. Purchased smog hoses to get the fonts and logos for the National Corvette Replacement Society aficionado repro part accuracy. Of course back East smog was removed. We stopped taking a truck load of parts to Carlisle in 1995 but kept all my swap spaces rather than loose them. I let a fellow use 2 of my empty spaces and he left on Saturday but gave me his single ticket for the Sunday give away door prize - a one owner 75 L82 loaded coupe. Although I had 50 tickets - his ticket was the winner. I don't know who he was and never saw him again to thank him. Still have that 75 and met the original owner on the Carlisle stage. Included in boxes was the entire smog system he removed down to every bolt, nut, belt, pump, y pipe mufflers etc. He installed 2 1/2 dual exhaust and I haven't had time or actually the inclination to put it back to St Louis appearance. Luck and serendipity have much to do with life. Paleontology was a dead end - either teach or work for an oil, gas or mining company - but Corvettes have been a great run.

Attachments

• 75cover.jpg
    75cover.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 75.JPG
    75.JPG
    429.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC06769.JPG
    DSC06769.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: rtj
I loved those old swap meets also - attended over 500. The net and ebait certainly dampened their value. The expenses for lodging and gas got excessive. At one time I could fly to Pomona CA for $99 buy pristine old Vette parts and ship of carry them back. No large restrictions on the airlines then for baggage. Got many pristine parts for repro. Purchased smog hoses to get the fonts and logos for the National Corvette Replacement Society aficionado repro part accuracy. Of course back East smog was removed. We stopped taking a truck load of parts to Carlisle in 1995 but kept all my swap spaces rather than loose them. I let a fellow use 2 of my empty spaces and he left on Saturday but gave me his single ticket for the Sunday give away door prize - a one owner 75 L82 loaded coupe. Although I had 50 tickets - his ticket was the winner. I don't know who he was and never saw him again to thank him. Still have that 75 and met the original owner on the Carlisle stage. Included in boxes was the entire smog system he removed down to every bolt, nut, belt, pump, y pipe mufflers etc. He installed 2 1/2 dual exhaust and I haven't had time or actually the inclination to put it back to St Louis appearance. Luck and serendipity have much to do with life. Paleontology was a dead end - either teach or work for an oil, gas or mining company - but Corvettes have been a great run.
as my dearly departed father used to say..."nothing lasts forever"

I only knew it from St Charles but rumor has it Bloomington Gold is all but dead

Back