Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD General Discussion > Projects

Old 11-06-2020, 03:35 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (0)

​Spark plugs.

When I built the motor, I wasn't that concerned.... so I bought the 'stock' plug for the 85 454 block.... rc12yc.... which is a fairly hot plug... the range is rc14yc as hottest plug, rc7yc as the coldest. A stock 454/427 late 60s/early 70s calls for a rc8yc (not the correct plug but illustrates the cold range)

the 85 454 has a 8.5 compression, the 70 454 has 11:1 (roughly). With that said, I have aluminum heads... my guess would be make it warmer, Champion suggests going from a 14 to a 4 (basically hottest to the coldest they make).... hmmmm.... looks like I need more data points.

I'll try a 9 or even a 10 next... at this point, I'm a bit concerned about detonation - it has a nice burn pattern and color (a bit rich)

more info

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 11-06-2020 at 10:31 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 05:19 AM
United States | Addict

light brackets

mark

a bit of machining

and voila...

Old 11-16-2020, 10:48 PM
United States | Addict

Just got off the phone with FiTech.They say the jets were misdrilled in the throttle body (it really looks like a super-sized annular discharge).edited They're sending a brand new throttle body with new computer and new injectors to replace it.Keep in mind, this is 6 months out of warranty.... I've said it before, I'll say it again... don't buy an EFI based upon their sales pitch, buy based upon their customer service.... and let's frame that, my EZ EFI, I dialed their customer service, it put me on hold for 2 days.Basically I called, put me through then put me on hold until I gave up 2 days later. Yeah, EZ EFI, that's MSD... which is Holley.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:20 AM
United States | Addict

working on the headlight motors
so the other brackets - the motor needs to have a steeper angle to start the push otherwise they stall... so the aluminum brackets started

drill for a pin

also the push rod cannot be straight

installed

it works far better, now I need to install limit switches
Old 11-19-2020, 05:07 AM
United States | Addict

tonight was a planning night (as it was on my '40)
I need to build a stop into this arm.... not sure how yet
​​​​​​​
Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (13)

very nice.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:56 AM
United States | Addict

I'm back in the noise business

they replaced the throttle body, computer, and injectors on their dime... to remind, this was out-of-warranty but the right thing to do - and they did it.editededited

no more spray out the top, no clicking noise... I may be going to another car show tomorrow, so if it doesn't actively rain - I'll drive this

Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 AM
United States | Addict

mandatory tool.

after watching the latest Binky, I think I'm going to get a wet-system for my car. I used to install commercial, kitchen fire systems (Range Guard) - I think I'm going to basically meld the Binky system with true fusible links (thus it will set the system off without need for human interaction (outside of pulling the pin to arm the system only when I want it armed).

how detailed will I be? hmm, I'll get back to you - likely I'll only detail here on VetteMod....

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 11-24-2020 at 05:57 AM..
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
United States | Member

My Photos: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
mandatory tool.

after watching the latest Binky, I think I'm going to get a wet-system for my car. I used to install commercial, kitchen fire systems (Range Guard) - I think I'm going to basically meld the Binky system with true fusible links (thus it will set the system off without need for human interaction (outside of pulling the pin to arm the system only when I want it armed).

how detailed will I be? hmm, I'll get back to you - likely I'll only detail here on VetteMod....
Very interested in seeing what you do. I was thinking of installing some type of fire suppression as well. I'm in the fire pump business but I don't think I'll be able to utilize any of my knowledge with an on board wet system.
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (685)

Yes! I'm putting one in (as soon as I get to that point).
I left my 'vette with my Brother-in-Law when we went to mexico. Two years later he sends me these pics.

On their way home from dinner one nite, at a stop light - sparks in the dash and then fire - ran the light to the MacDees, brow-beat the manager into giving him an extinguisher. He got the fire out before the Smoke-Eaters got there. Their comment - "Oh, we show up and these cars are melted down to the wheels."

I'm looking hard at the ESS Aqueous Film Forming Foam Systems. DIY for the recharge, and seem to have a good rep. 3 zones/4 nozzles around $600.

Not associated - just the first image I got - but have used them for other items too.

Cheers - Jim