Road to being SCCA approved

Yellow73SB

I need to get the car SCCA approved so we can do novice school and eventually get our license.

So far I need to do these

-Get under 3000 pounds
-4 speed
-prevent engine intrusion
-get rid of hydraboost and silicone brake fluid
-Tow hooks
-Redo battery cut off switch
-Rebuild rear end
-New front bushings

I want to do these

-Jeep box
-tilton pedal assembly
-Get rid of all stock stuff under the dash including steering column and all the guages.
-Autometer gauges, I already have most, I just need an oil pressure gauge.

I am just wondering about the tilton setup

I am thinking about getting this one, the seller says it's a tilton, I guess it is but I cant find any like it on the tilton website. But it does have the brake bias adjuster bar, that is nice.

!BOtre9QBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmVD,kBJwCH53OkQ~~_1.jpg

e311_1.jpg

!BOtrm+!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKiIEjlLm(KVwBJwCIdCJvw~~_1.jpg

On mounting it, I guess I just need to add a bar across and build a bracket off the bar to mount the brake pedals. This would also solve the engine intrusion issue. I could either mount the stock column to it or use a wood ward or other collapsable column.

100_0168.jpg

100_0169.jpg

100_0170.jpg

I found a picture of what appears to be the pedal set up that is kind of the same as the one I found

DSC_4400.jpg

DSC_4397.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know some class. I think it might be BP

I would hope it's not GT-1 either.

SCCA down here has vintage weekends that have cars very similar to mine.

I think you need two schools and a certain number of regional races to get a regional license, then a certain number of regional races to get a national license, then a certain number of races per year to keep your license...it can be very expensive and after that there is always the FIA license which was required to race in the Trans-Am series...It looks like the second link above is the HSR race at Sebring last year, the #111 is the phony (built in 1990) Owens-Corning car called a "contemporary replica" by it`s builder Greg Seifert...Personally I would put the Tilton pedal assembly next to the Jeep box waaaay down at the bottom of your list and remember to qualify for the licenses you have to finish those races not just start them.....

I was just thinking about that because it would save a lot of weight vs the stock pedal assembly and steering column mount.

I have to add a clutch pedal anyways.

Yeah I think you are correct on the school and races. It would still be cheaper than a school or doing hpde's

Last edited:
I was just thinking about that because it would save a lot of weight vs the stock pedal assembly and steering column mount.

I have to add a clutch pedal anyways.

Yeah I think you are correct on the school and races. It would still be cheaper than a school or doing hpde's

If you do some fabrication to get rid of the heavy cast piece a factory pedal assembly isn`t all that heavy.....you can reduce the weight of the steering column by only using the center shaft suspended by an oversize heim connected to a cage cross bar...if you haven`t done it yet it would be a good idea to replace the rag joint with a u-joint...the "stub" from a Randy Sweet removable steering wheel welded to the center shaft works nicely too...your old man might appreciate that also...

Cool, You are getting ready to join the "I just spent $1500 last weekend" club. Thats if you dont break anything or no one hits you. You will also need a number of spare wheels and tires to take with you.

BP the car has to be no older than a 1990 model. That B prepared, not production.
In production you only have EP,GP,FP,HP. Your local region might have a special class for your car. But, the South East Region, it will be GT1 or Spo. We have a vintage class, but the car must meet the rules for the year of the car. Plus DOTR tires only.

Last edited:
ya want ole spice to adapt those big ole flares for ya? I think I could have them ready for paint in about 1 day both side's.

2960 pounds

Can you supply a rough list of your weight reduction actions??

I was really disappointed in my car weight some years ago....3300 lbs, with basically the same look as now....

10% reduction is a LOT for a ~stock machine....:eek:

ya want ole spice to adapt those big ole flares for ya? I think I could have them ready for paint in about 1 day both side's.

Thanks for the offer, we'll do them ourselves though

2960 pounds

Can you supply a rough list of your weight reduction actions??

I was really disappointed in my car weight some years ago....3300 lbs, with basically the same look as now....

10% reduction is a LOT for a ~stock machine....:eek:

In addition to most of the stuff you've done my doors are gutted and weight like 10 pounds, I have a lightweight front support and no head lights

Anyways pretty soon it should be getting the manual tranny and SCCA prep. The engine, tranny and rear end will be pulled. I'm not sure about if they engine will stay the same, it probably will but those dart heads with 50 cc chambers and 215CC are looking pretty nice fora cheap price.

I'm going to have a tow hook cnc plasma cut and by a soft tow hook for the front.

I'll gusset the hole front frame also, I'll try to incorporate dimple dies but I'm not getting any ideas at the moment. And then also the solid bushings and gusseting the lower a-arm.

Then I need to make a bracket for the pedal assembly, and change fluid.

Well it looks like we are going to put a Jerico 4 speed in now :D

So we will just pull the whole drive train and then gusset the frame, change brake fluid, and put in the solid bushings, and an oil cooler.

Well it looks like we are going to put a Jerico 4 speed in now :D

You spend a crapload of money on your car, dude.

If i were you i'd save it for going to a major school rather than a community college.

I'm not paying for anything on the car that is very expensive, it's not my car anyways. I mainly just buy smaller stuff like springs, shocks, adapters and stuff that you can't really find without the internet. The transmission is from my cousin also at a very good price.

I will be going to a major college in a year or two, I just wanted to go to a CC right now because I may try to play hockey up north, if not I'll go to a smaller university that has hockey for a year and then transfer to a bigger school like USF, UCF, or UF.