Battery quick disconnect...

Crikey Gene, that's a bit harsh
I'm so electrically challenged that fitting a quick disconnect is tough for me, never mind finding damn electron leaks...

just like fixing a plumbing leak, but you have to stick a meter in the line to measure the flow, as you can't SEE electrons leaking....

:crap: even with special glasses.....

I say it with good humor, not to be a over bearing asshole....

:gurney:

Why change now???? :twitch::hunter::quote:

I've been looking at the remote switches. Have a rod that connects to the switch. Mount that on the frame at the rear, drill a 1/4 hole in the body and the T handle out the back. Easy enough to run the negative cable from the battery to that, then back to the frame.

Leaking electrons? I've heard of Gay electrons. In Most cases, Chink made cut off switches are trash, Contactors are light thus causing poor conduction, end result "" they weld together, poor transfer"".

Leaking electrons? I've heard of Gay electrons. In Most cases, Chink made cut off switches are trash, Contactors are light thus causing poor conduction, end result "" they weld together, poor transfer"".

I remember decades ago some guy used a huge heavy copper knife switch from some super duty electrical install, on his car....worked great, but once again, my thoughts were....FIX it.....damnit....even back in the vacuum tube daze....

:fishing:

I installed this on my 78 Vette last year. No soldering or crimp, just an extra battery cable needed. Use the minus (negative/ground/earth:smash:) cable. Installed on a wooden block.... easy fit.

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

Arne

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread. This is what I ended up doing with the piece of BUS bar I bought:

Bent it to shape and drilled the mounting hole.
354a7ea09889bed.jpg

Cut it down to size and tapped the hole for the cutoff connection.
354a7ea09984daa.jpg

Bolted together. It's in the car now and works well :thumbs:
354a7ea09a2f691.jpg

You are one brave man Saudi. Let me tell you, all that bare copper scares the hell out of me.:flash:
It was way back in my early years with pre-RamJet just after I had painted it for the first time. "Donnybrook Green". I was doing a test drive down the road after a long down time and just replacing the battery. I had converted the ends of the old battery cables to top post because they were shot and so I could use the cheaper batteries. OK, not the smartest thing I ever did, for a number of reasons as you will see. Anyway, I had the battery compartment cover open ...... why? I can't remember. A new can of carburetor cleaner was rolling around in the rear and wouldn't you know it, it rolled into the battery compartment shorting out the positive terminal and burning a hole in the new can of carb cleaner. I was all over the road trying to grab that can with it spraying all over hell. I finally grabbed it and threw it out the window spraying my new paint job as it went. Don't laugh, I'm telling on myself here. :bonkers:

If you notice, all new cars have insulated covers on the terminals now. :thumbs:

Anyway, I had the battery compartment cover open ...... why? I can't remember. A new can of carburetor cleaner was rolling around in the rear and wouldn't you know it, it rolled into the battery compartment shorting out the positive terminal and burning a hole in the new can of carb cleaner. I was all over the road trying to grab that can with it spraying all over hell. I finally grabbed it and threw it out the window spraying my new paint job as it went. Don't laugh, I'm telling on myself here. :bonkers:

Save that one for the archives. That's gut busting funny there.

The autozone guys didn't want to sell me the dual terminal battery. There may have been these kinds of problems going on. I told them i'd buy what the hell i want. I'll have to find some of those caps.

Wayne,
You HAVE to remove that, and move it to the - "ground" side. Then, your okay. :thumbs:

Yep, a quick look made me think it looked like a + (you can sorta see a vertical bar). Blow it up and it looks like a -:huh:

I didn't go out and check today. It was 52*C so I elected to stay indoors :huh:

Well, before and after going to the dentist, but we won't talk about the root canal/crown saga :clobbered:

I didn't go out and check today. It was 52*C so I elected to stay indoors :huh:

Well, before and after going to the dentist, but we won't talk about the root canal/crown saga :clobbered:

My 12 v battery looks almost the same, and the negative is on the right as shown in that pix.....so yes...flip that around, good catch above....

on that root canal, some 25 years ago I had one, and they left the tooth in there, maybe 3? years ago it started hurting.....I had it pulled...

WAY back when, well over 30 years ago, I had a lower left wisdom taken out, and IT didn't hurt at all, but that friggin automobile jack they used to hold my jaw open sure put the hurt on my jaw joint...for like a week....

:hissyfit::hissyfit::censored::crylol:

Battery Disconnect

I found a really nice switch at my local auto part store. It's made in England of all places so I had to have it. I see Summit sell the same one under part #HL002843011 for $19.95 - a few buck more then I paid! Any how it's nice because the key is removable so it not only disconnects but a small bit of security as well.

You are one brave man Saudi. Let me tell you, all that bare copper scares the hell out of me.:flash:
It was way back in my early years with pre-RamJet just after I had painted it for the first time. "Donnybrook Green". I was doing a test drive down the road after a long down time and just replacing the battery. I had converted the ends of the old battery cables to top post because they were shot and so I could use the cheaper batteries. OK, not the smartest thing I ever did, for a number of reasons as you will see. Anyway, I had the battery compartment cover open ...... why? I can't remember. A new can of carburetor cleaner was rolling around in the rear and wouldn't you know it, it rolled into the battery compartment shorting out the positive terminal and burning a hole in the new can of carb cleaner. I was all over the road trying to grab that can with it spraying all over hell. I finally grabbed it and threw it out the window spraying my new paint job as it went. Don't laugh, I'm telling on myself here. :bonkers:

If you notice, all new cars have insulated covers on the terminals now. :thumbs:

This made me remember an experience while replacing a battery on my old Chevy van and while wearing a wrist watch. By now you already know my story, but I'll tell it anyway. It must have been the positive terminal that touched the metal watch band while one side of the band was against a ground. All I remember was all kinds of sparks and havin the bejezus scared outta me. It left good burn marks on the band to remind me of the incident. There was a reason my old shop teacher reinforced removing all jewlery while working on machines. Hindsight is always 20-20. There is a lot of energy stored in those batteries and the terminals need to be protected. :tomato:

This made me remember an experience while replacing a battery on my old Chevy van and while wearing a wrist watch. By now you already know my story, but I'll tell it anyway. It must have been the positive terminal that touched the metal watch band while one side of the band was against a ground. All I remember was all kinds of sparks and havin the bejezus scared outta me. It left good burn marks on the band to remind me of the incident. There was a reason my old shop teacher reinforced removing all jewlery while working on machines. Hindsight is always 20-20. There is a lot of energy stored in those batteries and the terminals need to be protected. :tomato:

YUP, work rules on most major job site....have a thing about long hair too....

and I was doing #1 plug, watch band, alt out to ground, and Mr. Speidel left a burn scar on my arm....still have the same band though....:noworry::surrender:

As a sparky, I have never worn jewelry. (Side benefit, never bothered to buy a wedding ring at all. Borrowed a band for wedding).:thumbs: