Battery quick disconnect...

You've never worn shoes either so jewelry isn't your next step yet :)

I would not use a bus bar like that, I'd dip it in liquid rubber handle dip first

You've never worn shoes either so jewelry isn't your next step yet :)

I would not use a bus bar like that, I'd dip it in liquid rubber handle dip first

arck,
If it's on the - terminal, it's no different than the frame, or any other grounded metal part.

As a sparky, I have never worn jewelry. (Side benefit, never bothered to buy a wedding ring at all. Borrowed a band for wedding).:thumbs:

I never bought a wedding band either, spent all my money on my wife's wedding ring. It was just as well, I didn't have any unnecessary jewlery after the divorce. :goodevil:

I never bought a wedding band either, spent all my money on my wife's wedding ring. It was just as well, I didn't have any unnecessary jewlery after the divorce. :goodevil:

True..... words of wisdom .... :lol::lol:

arck,
If it's on the - terminal, it's no different than the frame, or any other grounded metal part.

Ok, Sparky:quote: Guess I need a lesson.:D

Never really understood why one would want to install a quick disconnect in the first place. Is the reason to make it easy when you are working on the car and don't want to go to the trouble to disconnect the battery?

If it is to isolate the battery from potential power drain during long term storage, then why not switch power in the feed wire going into the engine harness feeding accessories? That will isolate any small current drain such as clock etc. I see no risk leaving power to the solenoid/ starter.

One thing you will never want to do is switch the battery in/out while the engine is running and turning the alternator. That will cause a dangerous load dump condition. If your running FI, stereo, or other electronics they can be fried. See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_dump

So, educate me. Why should I want one?? I know racers use them for work safety during the short down time between races. But for reliability, I just don't want to risk another failure point by adding a switch. If I have learned anything designing military electronics, minimize connectors and interconnect. It is the source of highest failure risk.

Bullshark

arck,

Never really understood why one would want to install a quick disconnect in the first place. Is the reason to make it easy when you are working on the car and don't want to go to the trouble to disconnect the battery?

yea, and a theft preventative too. Kids now days are serious retards. it'd be enough to trip em up.

yea, and a theft preventative too. Kids now days are serious retards. it'd be enough to trip em up.

Oh, yea. Forgot about the theft thing. But I would hate to put my faith on that. Even today's delinquents know how to jumper a switch. :bonkers:

i don't know about that. and they have to find the battery first.

Haven't you seen Jaywalking? Or idocracy?

arck,

If it is to isolate the battery from potential power drain during long term storage, then why not switch power in the feed wire going into the engine harness feeding accessories? That will isolate any small current drain such as clock etc. I see no risk leaving power to the solenoid/ starter.

One thing you will never want to do is switch the battery in/out while the engine is running and turning the alternator. That will cause a dangerous load dump condition. If your running FI, stereo, or other electronics they can be fried. See, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_dump

So, educate me. Why should I want one?? I know racers use them for work safety during the short down time between races. But for reliability, I just don't want to risk another failure point by adding a switch. If I have learned anything designing military electronics, minimize connectors and interconnect. It is the source of highest failure risk.

Bullshark

Bob,
I cannot argue your point. I have never installed them on any car I own, but they are all driven frequently.
Racers also install them for emergencies, such as crash/fire.. Just like a main breaker, it's a major kill switch. A melting batt cable touching ground can be nasty.
A close friend has 12 collector cars. He installed them on all, as he never knows how long might pass before he decides to drive one. A flick of the wrist, and he is good to go.
I do NOT recommend the knife blade style. They lose spring tention with time, and can fail.
The cheesey Autozone ones are very poor Chinese castings, and can break unser strain/vibration.
The rotary Marine style are expensive, but pretty bullet proof.

Oh, yea. Forgot about the theft thing. But I would hate to put my faith on that. Even today's delinquents know how to jumper a switch. :bonkers:

i don't know about that. and they have to find the battery first.

Haven't you seen Jaywalking? Or idocracy?

Idiocracy, now that is a funny movie

[

Idiocracy, now that is a funny movie

Movie??, its a prophecy. And happening much quicker than the movie depicts.

I see it every day--the dumbing down of America. I've talked to other Techs from other companies and they see it too. It's just sad.:hissyfit:

Another funny thing is how women see men as a whole. They think we are just plain stupid. What's funny is the look on their face when they find out some of us "men" are a LOT smarter than they are.:pprrtt:

arck,

Check the pic, his is on the + side. Touch it with anything and you have fireworks.

I welded a wrench to the frame once when accidentally touching the starter 12V terminal, I too felt I didn't need to disconnect the battery for a quick spark plug change.

Arck ;)

i never wear any jewlery at all and the wife of 25yrs doesn't think anything about me not wearing a ring.....especially after one of the maintenace workers in town got most of his finger pulled off climbing off a bull dozer....it got stuck on something as he jumped off.....yikes that must have hurt.

as for the quick disconnect i use a marine style one on the negative terminal that has a wing nut that holds the battery cable snug to the post.