Ethanol in Gasoline

Cant blame the Ethanol on me this year. I did not plant any corn, just soy beans this year. As for the beef, the drought last year and the high cost to feed and water cattle drove that up. Plus a lot of farmers down sized their heard last year so they would not have to feed and water them.
The crops look great this year.

Farming all depends on which way the wind blows.....commons sense 101, first year AG school, or maybe HS....really.....

:gurney::hissyfit:

LOL. there is way more to farming than you will ever know. it takes more than a high school diploma or a year in ag school to be successful at it.

NO doubt, the ex's youngest brother got a job at the AG center USDA, Beltsville Md.....researching some relationships between plant/crop roots and some bugs/whatever alive in the soil, and how it affected plant health....had his PHD in biology from some CA. university....this was maybe 30 years ago, I"d think he retired by now....:amazed:

which part of Mo did you drive through?

We entered on hwy 40 from El Rino OK and went out through St Louis.

No wonder your mileage was :censored:- you stayed too far south. :gurney:

Started in Scottsdale, not the Bay Area. The mileage was really an issue through the mountains, as you'd expect. I did notice differences on long, up hill climbs though. Even when the grade wasn't too substantial.

..friggin' EPA, hate them nazis.....

:crutches::ripoff:

If you have a C3 with it's pot metal Holley or Quadrajet carb, steel gas lines..albeit tin plated..and a steel tin plated fuel tank....the alcohol in the current gasoline is going to ruin your fuel system. Heck, even with pure water free gasoline from the pump, the stock gas system has serious corrosion problems after about 30 to 40 years. With alcohol, the corrosion problem will come much sooner.

Last edited:

Started in Scottsdale, not the Bay Area. The mileage was really an issue through the mountains, as you'd expect. I did notice differences on long, up hill climbs though. Even when the grade wasn't too substantial.

My diesel with a 26ft enclosed trailer behind it with the vette inside, averages 12mpg on each trip Ca.

..friggin' EPA, hate them nazis.....

:crutches::ripoff:

If you have a C3 with it's pot metal Holley or Quadrajet carb, steel gas lines..albeit tin plated..and a steel tin plated fuel tank....the alcohol in the current gasoline is going to ruin your fuel system. Heck, even with pure water free gasoline from the pump, the stock gas system has serious corrosion problems after about 30 to 40 years. With alcohol, the corrosion problem will come much sooner.

Yeh, I have heard all sorts of reports on this, but the p/o of my '72 had replaced the gas tank, I bought the car in '95, and even though I have bought watered gas down here TWICE, the fuel system is fine, and because of a bad ROLLER CAM, I went through the entire engine/induction/fuel/spark systems like mad, I put a locking gas cap on also....I have a FI filter on the suck side of my pusher pump in back, and LT1 injection.....

Here in Florida, even at my house, the ground water is VERY high, 4-5' below the grass, all sand for dirt, too....some years ago, the investors had a inground pool pumped by a yankee pool guy who did not know, and so this huge inground pool popped up outta the ground, steel rebar reinforced gunnite/concrete popped up about 4' in the air, made a hell of the crunch sound I was told by the neighbors.....

SO on top of the same rise, are these two local gas statioins, both of which have had their tanks replace TWICE since I moved here in '97......the Shell and the BP, both of which have sold me watered gas....years ago, but no issues since the most recent tank replacement......SO the obvious connection in MY mind is that if ground water pops concrete pools outta the ground, WTF does it mean for GAS stations??? when those tanks go empty, what happens????:clobbered::hunter:

Last edited:

My diesel with a 26ft enclosed trailer behind it with the vette inside, averages 12mpg on each trip Ca.

I don't think we did any better than 12 MPG through most of the trip. I probably should have kept the slips at each gas stop, but I didn't. I could probably make an educated guess assuming around $3.60 per gallon as an average price.

I tossed my slips. Price of diesel on all of those trips was always over $4 bucks a gal. And the closer you got to Ca. The worse it got. I tried not to let the tank get under a 1/2 so I would not get sticker shock at the pumps.

I never worry about calculating gas mileage. Why? Whatever it is, I can't do anything about it. Whatever my mileage is, and I don't like how much I'm spending on gasoline, I know to drive less.

I'm pretty sure that my best mileage car is......my 08 centrifugal supercharged Corvette. It appears it gets an honest 28 or so mpg on the freeway. My 95 Cadillac Seville SLS and my 97 Thunderbird don't do this well.

FYI. At 70 mph, my 08 engine runs at about 1700 rpm..at this speed the supercharger is not making boost, so the engine runs like a stock engine. On a flat freeway, my instantaneous mileage on the DIC display is typically touching 30 mpg. To me this is unbelievable..the supercharger installation resulted in larger flow fuel injectors...don't know if this is causing the mileage computer measurement to be overly optimistic. Street use? Definitely get worse fuel mileage on street use because I just have a lot of trouble keeping my foot off the gas pedal.