Front Fender mod

I nominate this for ricer thread of the year :D LOL

j/k that's looking great, you have some big cahonas cutting up a nice car like that :)

Bit of an update...

I got the fender to this stage last weekend but my computer "contracted" a virus and I've spent the last week trying to fix the damn thing. Anyway, moving right along...

I laid some lines of 3M 8115 where the panel would contact the car, but NOT along the cut/join line...
3549b5a47aac1c6.jpg

Then held the panel on with a couple of self tapping screws.
3549b5a3100a12f.jpg

After the 24 hour cure time, I pulled the self tappers and filled the holes (and the CRAPFIRE badge holes while I was at it) and glued along the cut/join line and lay some dry wall tape in the glue. There was a slight waver along the line so I pulled it together with some clamps.
3549b5a310bc4ce.jpg

Almost done now. I just need to V out along the outside of the join line and fill that with 8115, then expoxy primer and some body filler.
3549b5a31229d2c.jpg

3549b5a31177f21.jpg

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Looks GREAT! Wayne. You did an excellent job fitting those parts....WOW! :yahoo:

Thanks guys. I'll take a pic this weekend with the louver bolted up to it. I'm pretty happy with the way it's gone so far. I hope to start on the passenger side this weekend, but I want to get the bright orange paint off it first...

I've just finished the passenger side - well, almost. I'll do the other parts tomorrow once I remove the clamps.

I made a bit of a dog's breakfast on this side. I didn't get as good a join line as I did on the other side but it should come up ok.

This side was a pig to remove too. Once I'd made the cuts on the first one, the adhesive came away reasonably easy. Not this side, I had to fight the damn thing all the way off.
3549c391c264af1.jpg

This "insert" was actually second hand and had been fitted to a car. There were some repairs I had to do to it before fitting it and also a fair amount of the glass on the inside was "exposed" so I put a light film of 8115 over the whole damn thing!
3549c391c36e710.jpg

Glued in, never coming out. You can see evidence of my crappy join line to the left of the blue clamp in the center...
3549c391c478374.jpg

3549c391c5cda9f.jpg

Last edited:
I agree.....don't beat yourself up over that line.....it still looks great....nice work. :thumbs:

That garage on the other hand looks like :crap: .... clean that place
up before the neighbors think I'm over there helping you or something
.....looks like my work stall here in Alabama......:nuts: :rofl::rofl:

:D

don't be ashamed....

work.jpg

:lol:

All kidding aside........I've actually worked with guys who were just that bad.
Their Tool Boxes looked even worst :suicide: don't see how they EVER got
anything done.......and to top it off.....they would leave it and go home, never
cleaning it up....
:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

Just jerking-your-chain Wayne :friends:

No way - the tool box is "cleared" each time I finish for the day. That's a carry over from what we were taught in the RAAF and it certainly makes sure you never lose any tools :thumbs:

Doesn't stop me working in a shit pit though... :lol:

Last edited:
I put the louvers in on the weekend to see how it they'd look and I think I might have to highlight the edges somehow as they basically get lost in the dark panel. Maybe I'll see how it looks in the sun.

You can see what I mean though...

3549d7401f4db84.jpg

Thinking about putting some "woven" stainless mesh on the inside of the louver.
3549d7402110afe.jpg