Hey Red

Hey-Guys....excuse me for being dense, but I don't read much into message boards. I read a few PM's here, but didn't notice a link to a thread in 'off topic.' In any event, I raced last Sat and took another semi final spot with a slipping trans. Now I have another thing to take care of on top of everything else. As far as DB goes, he has been honest with me, as far as I can tell, and will refund my money. He may have been a victim himself, I dunno, but I don't have an axe to grind at this point. My money will be needed to do necessary repairs, so its fast return will be helpful. If I get my money refunded, DB has done all he can do and there is no reason to think fraud. He may have been a victim of his machinist's action intentionally or unintentionally. I was told the machinist shipped the heads without insurance and tracking, very foolish IMO. Only his machinist and maybe DB knows what happened on that end. I speculated on what was going down when the heads did not arrive in a timely way. DB explained what was happening in a reasonable way and I respect that. It may be that DB was the real victim and I can't take pleasure in that. The return of my money will confirm this scenario, and, as the world turns.

Last edited:
Lettuce know when you see the bux....

BTW...you here in Florida....having any operational problems with your street driven cars recently??? especially any V8 higher perf cars...like your vette???

:bonkers:

OK guys, we all incl myself had quiet some fun with this thread but it's time to get a little serious here. As it stands right now forum member 'Red' is out the money for the heads he never received and now his tranny is giving him trouble and as it sounds (slipping) it's not a cheap fix.

Money is tight these days and with Christmas coming up I am donating my TH350 that was built with bulletproof parts and a shift kit (previous owner had it done) to 'Red'. It has performed flawlessly while I was driving the '79 with this trans. I don't like automatic transmissions so it's been sitting in my garage since I replaced it with a TKO600.

Does anybody have a set of Vortec heads laying around ?? :D

Sorry man the only heads i have laying around are the ones that came off my 78L82,which would be useless for a racing motor,and i have no auto tranny parts,I guess i'm just worthless :flash:

Kevin, the trans is taken care of, he just has to stop by and we'll get it on his truck..... he's only 45 minutes away (that's 45 minutes in a truck) so he can have his new tranny next weekend.....
Maybe you know somebody who has a set of these heads ??? These seem to go for $700 all over the net... cleaned and rebuild that is.... I'd think a used take off set is a dime a dozen.... not ???

At this time i sure don't know anybody with a pair of vortec heads,but i will keep my eyes open. What would a pair from the salvage yard go for? take them home and rebuild for less than new? maybe? i have never messed with the vortec stuff.

Vortec heads are relatively cheap, parts are cheap too - the machine work and labor is expensive and you want good quality valve seals and springs, lightweight cups and retainers if it's a high rev engine....you also want to gasket match the heads and intake....

Thanks Karsten, your offer of the tranny is right neighborly of ya! I may take you up on it. I sent a PM before reading over here.

My idea of swapping the heads was to avoid the machine work necessary on a stock set. By the time you have them ready for an HP application you are close to the cost of a set already done. Scoggin Dickey sells an iron set with an air gap intake for $1200, but everyone is probably aware of them.

I appreciate the support you guys have offered, I have had too much negativity in my life and refuse to let it bring me down.

OK guys, we all incl myself had quiet some fun with this thread but it's time to get a little serious here. As it stands right now forum member 'Red' is out the money for the heads he never received and now his tranny is giving him trouble and as it sounds (slipping) it's not a cheap fix.

Money is tight these days and with Christmas coming up I am donating my TH350 that was built with bulletproof parts and a shift kit (previous owner had it done) to 'Red'. It has performed flawlessly while I was driving the '79 with this trans. I don't like automatic transmissions so it's been sitting in my garage since I replaced it with a TKO600. :D

It is taking me some time for your generous offer to sink into my thick skull. I'm not used to having things offered like that. I am going to accept it, but first want to be certain my problem isn't something simple. It has fluid and it isn't burnt and appears clear pink. I need to check the cable to be sure it isn't an adjustment issue. It never happened before and works perfectly until you lean on it and then only on the 2-3 shift. It happened on my last three passes of the racing event, so it wasn't a one time aberration. Another buddy suggested heat may have caused the problem, but I use a tranny cooler and everything was at normal operating temp when I made the pass. Maybe mrvette can diagnis my problem from the symptom I mention? Anyhoo...I have an engine hoist to seperate the trans if needed. Look for my PM with number. Thanks MYBAD!!

While I have these picture links handy, thanks Glen, I thought you guys might like to see my 79. These pictures were taken at lakeland MP last Saturday when my tranny started slipping. It is located in Central FL South West of Orlando.
Red69LMP12-06-08.jpg
Red69LaunchLMP12-06-081.jpg

OK I can understand that---cylinder heads are so easily lost in the mail....It's happened so often to me....I'm sure the refund check is in the mail as we speak.....

PS: There's a lady named Anna Gates (wasn't she in Playboy a few years ago?) who wants to talk to you......

Last edited: