Little garage overhaulin

TO cover the ugly 2 by 4's structure, I finished covering the mezzanines and the compressor box with MDF.

Garage003_zps0ab578d8.jpg

To make sure the compressor doesnt overheat, I will install some screening.

Garage002_zps84ba0b2f.jpg

Garage001_zps04778dde.jpg

Next, is covering the ugly industrial shelvings using the same method.

Little more done today

All of the ugly industrial steel is slowly dissapearing.
garage006_zpsb8b995db.jpg

garage005_zps3f784206.jpg

I left a 36 inches void at the bottom, I will put some plywood instead of the MDF,
The plywood will be covored with composite material used for decks it will resist better to the water.

The boxes beside the urinal are the tiles that I'll use in the urinal and sink area.

After the tiles are installed I will install a mirror-door to cover the shelvings in front of the sink.

Last edited:
Ok so the covering up is done,

garage004_zps718b01d1.jpg

garage003_zpse0a66a4c.jpg

garage002_zps5a752a36.jpg

Next is clean up a bit, (I know I know I'm messy)

Then sand everything to make sure the joints are nice and clean of glue.

Make some doors.

Then paint everything.

Not much going on but I managed to make and install a few doors for the cabinets

This is for the cabinet I made for the extension cords.

garage002_zpsf906c8ef.jpg

garage003_zps7569e455.jpg

And this one is for the compressor, it's sitting on top of the sandblast cabinet I made a while ago between the two garage doors.

garage004_zps0374ca98.jpg

garage005_zps7dd00c41.jpg

At each side of the compressor box I will install somekind of screen so it can breathe.

Didnt do much on the garage, just relocated the electric heater, it was too high so I lowered it a bit.
Since I had a bunch of MDF pieces , I decided to make a little project I had in mind for a while.

I needed a place to store my bike's removable windscreen.
So I made a little bracket to store it.
each time I took the bike out without the windscreen, it was lying all over the place.
This will protect it a little better.

garage008_zpsda2dabfe.jpg

prety simple, couples of MDF pieces, 3quarter pipe I had, couples of carriage bolts.

garage005_zps28912cc3.jpg

garage004_zpsf5e5a0b4.jpg

All is left to do is to sand it and paint it to make it pretty.

garage003_zpsd414e8b9.jpg

As you can see in the pics, the garage needs paint .
Next is to sand all the new cabinets and patch up the sheetrock, then paint.

Last edited:
All the facades are sanded nice a smooth
Doors will be cut and painted separately,
The old cabinets will also get a thorow sanding and painted like the uppers.
garage005_zps0031a4a0.jpg

garage004_zpsf1760ab4.jpg

The lower cabinets finish didnt look too good, so I took out all of the doors and sanded the old cabinets.
Then I put some filler to block all of the existing holes and cracks.then sanded everything again
garage003_zps5b5863ff.jpg
garage002_zps74840110.jpg
garage001_zps9f33d1ff.jpg

Everything is nice and smooth so next, is the primer sealer.

Ok sooo I put on a coat of primer sealer to the cabinets.
I hate painting but it's starting to look the way I want, I like it

garage005_zps05120b02.jpg

garage004_zpsdb104e33.jpg

garage003_zps1892711e.jpg

garage002_zps8bc6faa9.jpg

garage001_zps9aa6bce9.jpg

I'm not finished repairing the walls but I wanted to at least put on a coat of paint.
Got a few few nail holes to fill and spots I got to sand.
Next is to paint the rest and another coat, repair the holes I made on the sheetrock then put on some color.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/1rookie/media/Garage002_zps84ba0b2f.jpg.html

:devil: Yer screwed, you did the same thing on the other side as shown in another pix, what is rong is that WHEN your counterbalance spring breaks, you have to loosen all the bolts on the wheels, and slide that long ~1" diameter bar sideways to slide the spring on off either end, sometimes both ends, with you shelving built that way, you can't do that, better change it NOW, I have fixed/replaced many a garage door, and know it's troubles.....

:crutches::flash:

:devil: Yer screwed, you did the same thing on the other side as shown in another pix, what is rong is that WHEN your counterbalance spring breaks, you have to loosen all the bolts on the wheels, and slide that long ~1" diameter bar sideways to slide the spring on off either end, sometimes both ends, with you shelving built that way, you can't do that, better change it NOW, I have fixed/replaced many a garage door, and know it's troubles.....

Nice catch Gene.

This piece of MDF isn't glued, it's just a cover, only a few finishing nail holding it, and the 2 by 4 behind it is held by only 2 screwes and can easily taken out if ever I have to change the counterbalance spring.

On the other door I didnt put any 2 by 4, just the MDF and same thing, no glue.

I knew about that because I changed the spring on one of the doors last year.

Nice catch Gene.

This piece of MDF isn't glued, it's just a cover, only a few finishing nail holding it, and the 2 by 4 behind it is held by only 2 screwes and can easily taken out if ever I have to change the counterbalance spring.

On the other door I didnt put any 2 by 4, just the MDF and same thing, no glue.

I knew about that because I changed the spring on one of the doors last year.

SO I assume it's the same for BOTH sides?? to save dropping the opener bar/etc...??? not often a youngster knows what a old fart does.....U 2 can plan a head......:smash::twitch::eek::thumbs:

SO I assume it's the same for BOTH sides?? to save dropping the opener bar/etc...??? not often a youngster knows what a old fart does.....U 2 can plan a head......:smash::twitch::eek::thumbs:

Yes both sides are the same, like I said, last year I had to change the spring on one of the doors thats how I knew I needed room for the maintenance.

This is the left side not painted yet,
garage008_zps3c0206b5.jpg

This is the right side, the 2 by 4 you see is only held by 2 screwsand can come out easy
garage007_zpsfdf93ff3.jpg

In other words, it's only a cosmetic cover that you pointed out.
If I ever need to take it out, just grab the piece and pull it out.

Last edited:
I like the solution of the Air Compressor - up and out of the floor space - but draining and changing oil will not be easy. A plan for that? I'm all ears!
Nice Progress! Looking good.

Cheers - Jim

I like the solution of the Air Compressor - up and out of the floor space - but draining and changing oil will not be easy. A plan for that? I'm all ears!

Cheers - Jim

That's no big deal, theres more room than the pics shows in there.

The only real concern about changing the oil in the compressor is to...
not tumble down the ladder when I service the thing.

It's a bad habit I have LOL

Ok sooo didnt do much, hot and humid, plus I work slow.

I allready fixed the damages on the sheetrock, sanded everything and put a few coats of primer sealer all over the place.

Today, I took appart the section where the urinal was installed, decided to change it a bit.

I had previously planned a couples of shelves in front of the sink but it didnt work , I had an old bathroom cabinet from a previous project and decided to install it.

Framed everything and made a lower cabinet around the sink area.

garage002_zpsf02723e9.jpg

Tomorow, I'll reinstall the plumbing for the urinal's water supply and drain.

Last edited:
Update.
today I worked a bit on the urinal, sink area.

Didnt do much Jo-Ann's came in with an hanging fog light on her bike, so fixed that first.

Then I finished the roughin drain and water supply for the urinal and closed up the walls.

garage001_zpsbf10367d.jpg

garage003_zps018a04b2.jpg

garage004_zps2f8c9aba.jpg

Wasnt too sure how to finish the side.
Installed plywood and a little test trim to see how it would fit.
i like it.
next the unpainted part will be covered with tiles and I'll get a hardwood trim to cover it.
I'll also install tiles in the whole sink urinal area.

garage005_zpsb7823cc5.jpg

Notice that nothing touches the floor.
that way 1, no water will damage the wood and 2, it will be much easyer to clean the floor.

plus I'll install a wire shelf in the bottom of the undersink, again much easyer to clean.

I had some wire shelving laying around so I decided to make a shelf in the small cabinet under the sink.

garage001_zps9b99582b.jpg

Wont be anything heavy in there and if anything leaks, it will go straight to the floor, easy clean-up, with the left over of the wire shelf, I made a little fence.
garage002_zps4c4491d5.jpg

I had a water line for a hose in the rear wall where the urinal is installed, I cut the line and brought it in front.

garage006_zps41114b48.jpg

garage005_zps24357e64.jpg

It will come out just high enough to fill a bucket or to atach a hose to wash the car.

Now I can close ths section and start planning the tiles for the whole urinal-sink area.

Cheers - Jim

Might heed your warning, and lower that compressor so you don't have to DO that as years pass by, and you wish you did.....seriously man, rethink that placement....

beats a broken ass....don't assk.....K???

:hi::flash:

Cheers - Jim

Might heed your warning, and lower that compressor so you don't have to DO that as years pass by, and you wish you did.....seriously man, rethink that placement....

beats a broken ass....don't assk.....K???

:hi::flash:

Gene, sometimes you sound like my mother in law!