My 1,500.00 1990 project

I've been pondering with the 91 up front bumper swap and to me the 84-90 just looks much better. I'm not really a big fan of the wrap around style marker lights for one.

I might actually just look into a fiberglass rear 91-up style rear bumper or mod my stock front bumper to look like wider front molding. The downside to the fiberglass rear bumper is bumps and bruises from parking lots which the car will be in a lot and not a big fan of the thin beltline molding.

Ain't project cars great! Sure purist hate what I am doing to this so called rare polo green car but green is for golfers and environmentalist. I really like the shade of red on the rear bumper and thought along with the black interior it would look great in that red color with a black GS stripe kit and black ZR1 wheels.

Interior has to remain stock looking though & no spoilers or body kits :yahoo:

Decisions decisions!

Watch it bub, thin ice there, my car is forest green, and I hate golf, and certainly NO weenie.....:hissyfit::yahoo::censored:

hahahaha ...... For me the colors of choice are maytag white, arrest me red. Like my dark green mini van for awhile then really got sick of the color. Always have liked my arctic white camaro though.

I've been pondering with the 91 up front bumper swap and to me the 84-90 just looks much better. I'm not really a big fan of the wrap around style marker lights for one.

I might actually just look into a fiberglass rear 91-up style rear bumper or mod my stock front bumper to look like wider front molding. The downside to the fiberglass rear bumper is bumps and bruises from parking lots which the car will be in a lot and not a big fan of the thin beltline molding.

Ain't project cars great! Sure purist hate what I am doing to this so called rare polo green car but green is for golfers and environmentalist. I really like the shade of red on the rear bumper and thought along with the black interior it would look great in that red color with a black GS stripe kit and black ZR1 wheels.

Interior has to remain stock looking though & no spoilers or body kits :yahoo:

Decisions decisions!

Watch it bub, thin ice there, my car is forest green, and I hate golf, and certainly NO weenie.....:hissyfit::yahoo::censored:

hahahaha ...... For me the colors of choice are maytag white, arrest me red. Like my dark green mini van for awhile then really got sick of the color. Always have liked my arctic white camaro though.

I regret the color the vette came out about 2 years ago, almost....but forest green not SO awful evil a choice, lotsa times I see some snappy COPPER color on some car, or a evil yellow, not a fan of orange though.....had burgundy for over 20 years, time to change THAT habit....

BEST damn color I ever had was a '70 Caddy Firemist GREEN, you can spot it from backside of the MOON and that's no lie.....

:yahoo::goodnight:

Must be this green you are referring too.

uglygreen.jpg

Yup, pretty damn close....I repainted my '67 Grand Prix that color.....white top and interior...that one has a dash more yellow than the GP did, more blue ....

but computers. pix.. don't really tell so good either...:hissyfit:

uglygreen.jpg

Yup, pretty damn close....I repainted my '67 Grand Prix that color.....white top and interior...that one has a dash more yellow than the GP did, more blue ....

that car must be 1 of 1 made cause I think a person to be crazy to order a vette that color.

uglygreen.jpg

that car must be 1 of 1 made cause I think a person to be crazy to order a vette that color.

I do like the wheels too, brushed aluminum, that chrome/polished is too pimp looking for this olde tyme bastard.....

:censored::hissyfit:

uglygreen.jpg

I do like the wheels too, brushed aluminum, that chrome/polished is too pimp looking for this olde tyme bastard.....

Maybe Richard Simmons owns the car :crylol::crylol:

uglygreen.jpg

Maybe Richard Simmons owns the car :crylol::crylol:

OH GOD....please help me, please!!!!

:crylol::bonkers::censored:

I to am an old goat and one of my favorite auto memories is cruising at night in the summer and seeing the reflection in the store windows of my sparkling chrome Cragar S/S's.

Probably wouldn't take much prep work on the white parts to get them ready for new paint. But here is how the car looks now .... The back of the car will need the most prepping and of course stripping both bumper covers since the paint is cracking on both.

DSCF0103.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

Here is my daily driver

DSCF0111.jpg

Last edited:

That is for 84-89 door panels 90-up is different. I have new carpet for my door panels that came with my ACC kit but I'm just not happy with it being it lacks certain things the factory carpet has and is not very plyable and very hard to work with. I got really nice door panels from a 90 parts vette I bought and the carpet aside from a little faded is perfect, so I thought I will just dye it is all.

I am not overly happy with the acc carpet kit for quite a few reasons. But none of my carpet was good in this car so had no other choice but to buy it.

Hey Jeff, just curious - what is the current total $ amount on the $1500 vette?

good question

600.00 tires
900.00 interior
350.00 weatherstripping
275.00 white body parts
50.00 91-up rear bumper
265.00 exhaust so far
200.00 in engine related stuff

Only expensive repairs now are wheel bearings, cat back, brakes, shocks. That will make it road worthy.

Not really anymore in repairs then another vette would need. The interior is really starting to look nice on it now since it all looks new now. When I get my tax refund I plan to finish the car and get it registered and park my 97 camaro again.

good question

600.00 tires
900.00 interior
350.00 weatherstripping
275.00 white body parts
50.00 91-up rear bumper
265.00 exhaust so far

Only expensive repairs now are wheel bearings, cat back, brakes, shocks. That will make it road worthy.

Not really anymore in repairs then another vette would need. The interior is really starting to look nice on it now since it all looks new now. When I get my tax refund I plan to finish the car and get it registered and park my 97 camaro again.

What caliber was YOUR gun?? last I saw GM wanted like 350 for just the windshield section....in '~95 for my '87 vert....

:lol::crutches:

good question

600.00 tires
900.00 interior
350.00 weatherstripping
275.00 white body parts
50.00 91-up rear bumper
265.00 exhaust so far

What caliber was YOUR gun?? last I saw GM wanted like 350 for just the windshield section....in '~95 for my '87 vert....

hahaha ... The shitty economy along with my good paying job has kept this project alive is all. Plus I have a local guy who parts C4's and his parts are fairly cheap and no shipping costs. I also bought a 1990 parts vette for 500.00 and took the excellent door panels, trunk trim, bose system, windshield trim and a few other parts. Then re-sold the car to my best friend for 400.00 and for that he got the complete dana44 all suspension parts, big brake parts so he got what he wanted and I got what I needed for a 100.00 bucks.

good question

600.00 tires
900.00 interior
350.00 weatherstripping
275.00 white body parts
50.00 91-up rear bumper
265.00 exhaust so far

hahaha ... The shitty economy along with my good paying job has kept this project alive is all. Plus I have a local guy who parts C4's and his parts are fairly cheap and no shipping costs. I also bought a 1990 parts vette for 500.00 and took the excellent door panels, trunk trim, bose system, windshield trim and a few other parts. Then re-sold the car to my best friend for 400.00 and for that he got the complete dana44 all suspension parts, big brake parts so he got what he wanted and I got what I needed for a 100.00 bucks.

You olde sneelock, chasing pebbles from the moon.....

it's a term I used to describe a old buddy of mine, he would find the BIGGEST bargains just by walking in the door....Carlisle car show, parts all OVER about 50? acres...so he walks up to this table, spots a Maryland militia belt buckle from the CW era....so the guy wants like 15 bux....Mike offers ten, they settle on 12 bux....so the guy notes Mike is wearing one.....a reproduction....the guys says 'you must like them' Mike smiles and says YES, I do.....

Mike flops it to his antique dealer buddy....650 bux, the buddy takes it into the display case.....for a grand.....and it sells in a week.....

:crutches::lol::cool:

LOL I do that to guys on CF ... for instance they think a set of tail lights are worth 130.00 bucks. I reply not in this day and age, when you want to sell for 50.00 let me know. Come a week before x-mas they will get desperate and give in. All about timing you know, some shit I have no chance but to pay the price but that is only because it is new stuff but even so vendors are hurting and they have to deal or they too will fail in this economy.

Too e if you want to do a project and have a good job now is the time.

This is only thread I plan on ever updating or replying too ... Yes there has been progress but not much because I met someone and the car comes in a distant second now ... very distant!

The stock wheels are really bugging the crap out of me as well now that it is looking like a car again. I think the final scheme of the car will be arctic white with a black GS stripe kit and ZR-1 replica wheels with black centers.

96 fender update & wide body molding

DSCF0187.jpg

DSCF0194.jpg

I also have a possible cure for the thin/thick beltline molding miss match. I took a 91-up door molding piece and surpisingly it fits the bumper grove perfectly. Two 91-up door pieces will cover the whole bumper but I just have to figure out how to bend them around the bumper corners and splice them together for a nice fit and it bolts in place once you drill new holes so no adhesive to worry about causing it to fall off. I figure with a heatgun and cutting of the molding a bit it will bend around the corners fine. I really hate that thin black molding and even painting it body color it is still the ugliest thing GM ever put on a car.

I'm just not a big fan of the 91-up front bumper cover which is why I want to make wide molding work on the 90 front cover. I also don't want fiberglass bumpers since this car will be subjected to possible bumper hits since it will be a daily drivers and in parking lots all the time.

DSCF0197.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

If you wanted to delete all molding on a 84-90 you could do this on the rear bumper as well, just gotta bend a 91-up door molding but it fits very nice. Obviously I have a 91-up rear bumper on the car so will only finish this part for illustration only. But trust me it looks so nice thought about putting the 90 rear bumper back on but the tail light changing dilema discouraged me hahaha ... The 91 rear bumper will stay on the car.

DSCF0204.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

The 84-90 fenders could also be done as well ... with some work and trimming you can delete all 84-90 ugly thin black belt line mold for a much cleaner look.

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

Door panels have been mounted as well now

DSCF0214.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

DSCF0210.jpg

Last edited: