My 1,500.00 1990 project

...I met someone...
What, like the President or Gene Simmons or something? :lol:

Seriously though, it's looking good :thumbs:

LOL ... Way better then those two clowns! Shit like that is what is killing America and making everyone laugh at us!

How come we never see progress on yours anymore? I actually plan on registering it next month and start using it temporarily till all the bugs are worked out. Paint will be the very last thing done till I am sure it will be a dependable car.

Yet another good deal from my parts guy. Since I am doing a 91-up rear bumper conversion the roof mounted 3rd brake light had to go. So went to my guy and for 160.00 got a tinted rear hatch and tint is in perfect conditio, got a front bra, set of tail-lights backup lamps, 3rd brake light & a 4 piece door molding set.

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

DSCF0247.jpg

The bra appears to be new or hase very little use on it. The white backing material is still like new.

DSCF0241-1.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

Last edited:
Took the door molding and began adapting it to my 90 front bumper so there will be no thick/thin beltline mismatch.

Basically notched the corner and used a heatgun and it wrapped around the bumper fine. Although it concaved a bit minor filler and sanding it should come out nice.

DSCF0239.jpg

I will have to get creative and join the two pieces in the center of the bumper and will probably melt some stainless mesh into the plastic to join them and keep the joint strong then use filler to make a seamless look to it all.

DSCF0238.jpg

None of this is bolted down yet and of course will be body color when done. But does look far better then the thin beltline molding.

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0232.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

here is a white beltline piece to give you a better idea what it will look like after paint.

DSCF0198.jpg

Last edited:
Also forgot to add I bought a magnaflow main California approved main cat converter plus a catback system with LT1 muffler tips. So that was another 475 into the car. No pictures of that since it won't be here till like the 28th of this month.

Next project .... Brakes, shocks, all new vacuum lines & then smog and register the car.

...How come we never see progress on yours anymore?...

We've had some crappy weather out here and I don't have a solid roof to work under any more, the company saw fit to give us a sun shelter with a shade cloth roof - if it rains, the car (and me if I'm working on it) gets wet! Also been as busy as a one legged guy in an arse kicking competition doing other stuff.

...the roof mounted 3rd brake light had to go...got a front bra, set of tail-lights backup lamps, 3rd brake light & a 4 piece door molding set.
Where does the 3rd brake light go now? Your car is going to look good when it's done :thumbs:

We've had some crappy weather out here and I don't have a solid roof to work under any more, the company saw fit to give us a sun shelter with a shade cloth roof - if it rains, the car (and me if I'm working on it) gets wet! Also been as busy as a one legged guy in an arse kicking competition doing other stuff.

well I don't have anything over my vette and work in rain, intense heat ... not a good enough excuse :zzz::zzz:

...the roof mounted 3rd brake light had to go...got a front bra, set of tail-lights backup lamps, 3rd brake light & a 4 piece door molding set.
Where does the 3rd brake light go now? Your car is going to look good when it's done :thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Have a 91-up rear bumper so the 3rd brake light will be between the tail-lights.

92bumper3.jpg

Last edited:
well I don't have anything over my vette and work in rain, intense heat ... not a good enough excuse :zzz::zzz:
Yeah yeah, I know - I'll get back to it, honest ;)

Where does the 3rd brake light go now? Your car is going to look good when it's done :thumbs:

Have a 91-up rear bumper so the 3rd brake light will be between the tail-lights.

92bumper3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ok, gotcha.

Just received my cat converter and catck exhaust. Will have to post pictures later this week as I am very busy through the week with work.

I also got a 1990 dana44 that I am considering installing in the car or saving for my 82 corvette when I do a tube frame.

Although the 3.33:1 gears might be a nice upgrade over my current 3.08 gears currently in the 90.

DSCF0249.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the complete exhaust system that will be going on the car. Much as I would love to have headers and no cats and maybe muffler eliminators. This is a california car so I have no choice but to stay compliant. I also work nights and come home usually like 3am and highly doubt neighbors would enjoy hearing it down the block.

Plus since no future mod's are ever being planned for the motor stock replacement fits my criteria just fine.

Total cost for all this.

168.00 front Y-pipe
165.00 main cat converter
320.00 catback

Besides paint the next big expenses are total brake overhaul and shocks. After paint, brakes, shocks then DMV will get their chance to ream me.

newexhaust2.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

DSCF0256.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0258.jpg

Last edited:
I still have to join the two molding pieces on the front bumper, sand and fill the corners, trim the ends where it meets the wheel wells. However I'm getting the look I wanted a 95 body update while retaining the stock 90 front bumper. I figure I have a few hours of work left on this part of the project but so far really like how it is turning out.

DSCF0275.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

DSCF0292.jpg

DSCF0286.jpg

DSCF0290.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0298.jpg

DSCF0299.jpg

Last edited:
Just a new update. been tackling the exhaust all weekend. I have to have studs repaired in the exhaust manifold so decided to start mounting the catback I bought.

Out with the old

DSCF0378.jpg

DSCF0379.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

In with the new

DSCF0381.jpg

DSCF0382.jpg

DSCF0383.jpg

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0386.jpg

Last edited:
I actually got most of the interior back together now. I still need to find speaker carpet, finish the upholstery work on the seat bottoms & a few other things but it is finally looking like a car inside of it again.

DSCF0489.jpg

DSCF0488.jpg

DSCF0487.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

DSCF0477.jpg

Last edited:
It has been quite sometime since I have updated this but my new next door neighbor paints cars and made me a deal of 1100 bucks to do the vette complete in arctic white. I am going to go and look at some of the cars he has painted and make my decision. I just need to find a 91-96 front bumper setup and I have been thinking about having him also paint a black GS stripe on the car.

Just an update to the car. I had to move so needed to do a driveway paintjob to the back of the car to get it one color.

DSCF1185.jpg

DSCF1184.jpg

DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1182.jpg

DSCF1180.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg

Then after a bad blowout on my 97 Camaro I decided to do some changes and put the 90 vette rims with new tires on my Camaro and buy a set of 17x9.5 & 17x11 ZR1 replicas for the vette.

Photo0289.jpg

Photo0288.jpg

Photo0287.jpg

I got these for 1,000.00 they were brand new rims freshly powdercaoted and new tires put on then used for a week and sold to me.

DSCF1188.jpg

DSCF1189.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

I decided to not mess with wide molding on the 90 bumper and
for 40.00 bought a 91-96 front bumper. I have more sanding to do on the cover.

bumper005.jpg

bumper003.jpg

bumper001.jpg